U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,386,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Without getting into the Biblical exceptions....the Law determines what something is legal or not, not whether a bunch of hippies or dope heads or mob rule thinks. If the law makes something illegal and you break that law that goverment established ...it's a sin.

Break one of God's law ...that's a sin.

God established goverments ... break a law from goverment, it's a sin.
There are many states which allow medicinal marijuana, but the feds don't agree. So, who do we follow?

Also, many people abuse all kinds of over the counter meds, but mature adults use them for good reasons. Should we ban cough syrup because kids use it to get high? Should we ban medicinal marijuana because of "dope heads and hippies" or should we allow cancer patients, the chronic pain patients, etc. to have access to something natural?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
God is spirit, and not confined by physical boundaries.

We can play an interesting game by standing with one foot in a jurisdiction that makes holding Vitamin-C illegal [as the FDA is in the process of doing], and our other foot in a jurisdiction where holding Vitamin-C is legal. Now if we hop from one foot to the other, back and forth. One moment in a jurisdiction where we are violating the 'law'; the next moment we are abiding the law.

Is our salvation so fleeting?

Does Our Heavenly Father truly pull our salvation each time that we land in the jurisdiction that outlaws Vitamin-C? But then give it back to us each time we stand in the jurisdiction where Vitamin-C is legal?

God is spirit, and is not confined by the physical. Where we stand, or if we hold Vitamin-C is not a concern with Him. Where is our heart? and do we love God; these are the concerns of God.

David violated the Law of Moses. David and his men ate the shew bread. And yet David and his men remained righteous for it.

Man was not made for the Sabbath; but the Sabbath was made for man.

Bless and curse not.
Great post, forest beekeeper! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 04:51 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,422,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

From the standpoint of legitimate patients who medically qualify for such permits, and may get relief from marijuana, which do you think is better? Prescribed narcotics which can have serious addictive side effects? Or marijuana? Don't get me wrong, it still requires responsibility.

After all, you're the one who said: "Breaking the law is a sin in God's eyes..."

I'd break man's law without batting an eyelash if it meant love and compassion to give a cancer patient some comfort who is otherwise in great unbearable physical pain...for God knows my intent is "LOVE!"

Blessings...

Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,051,435 times
Quote:
Yes, you're quite correct that possession and/or use can be an arrestable offense in some states, but not all states agree. A growing number of states treat an offense as they would a traffic violation. Some states issue medical permits that allow for use and possession of specified amounts. I live in one of those states. And yes, there are growers who must also obtain permits also for a limited amounts. For anyone with possession but does not have a permit, they are subject to a fine.

From the standpoint of legitimate patients who medically qualify for such permits, and may get relief from marijuana, which do you think is better? Prescribed narcotics which can have serious addictive side effects? Or marijuana? Don't get me wrong, it still requires responsibility.

I've said before, it's not a good idea to indulge then get in the car and start driving around. The same applies for anyone who has taken cold and flu medication that can cause drowsiness. These people should be pulled over for the sake of public safety. But that's a whole different matter.

All I'm saying is that there are valid circumstances where the use of marijuana can be helpful for some people that may benefit from it. While you're trying to say the laws of the land must be upheld, I agree to a point but with the exception of old outdated and pointless laws which when considered as a blanket rule are meaningless. As I previously stated, it would be ideal to change outdated laws, but that's not always practical or cheap to do. If you accept that ALL laws of the land, regardless of whether they're meaningless and outdated or not, must be obeyed to the letter, then a person crossing in the middle of a block instead of using a crosswalk is a sinner. After all, you're the one who said: "Breaking the law is a sin in God's eyes..."

Seems to me it's best not to judge matters without first considering ALL the circumstances. Narcotics like codine and morphine are also against the law to possess and use apart from a medical prescription. I can't speak for all states where medical marijuana is permitted, but in the state where I live, it is legal under state law for prescribed medical use to patients who have applied and obtained a state permit. Of course, state laws do not override federal laws, but orders have been issued at the federal level to cease arresting medical marijuana patients. That said, if a state law prohibits such use, then the state is within its own right to regulate such matters as they see fit.

I hope you have a nice day also.
Well, I guess I was correct.....

It's funny how someone accuses another when in reality it is what's in their heart.

Quote:
I think you're trying to make an issue out of nothing.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,592,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post

I'd break man's law without batting an eyelash if it meant love and compassion to give a cancer patient some comfort who is otherwise in great unbearable physical pain...for God knows my intent is "LOVE!"

Blessings...

Same here. Without a doubt.
Great post ans.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 PM

4,992 posts, read 7,780,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Well, I guess I was correct.....

It's funny how someone accuses another when in reality it is what's in their heart.
Then you agree that some laws can or should be changed?
Would you always be obedient to the laws of the land?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,041,711 times
CC11: Cannabis and the Christ: Jesus used Marijuana

"The ancient recipe for this anointing oil, recorded in the Old Testament book of Exodus (30: 22-23) included over nine pounds of flowering cannabis tops, Hebrew "kaneh-bosm", extracted into a hind (about 6.5 litres) of olive oil, along with a variety of other herbs and spices. The ancient chosen ones were literally drenched in this potent cannabis holy oil."

Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,051,435 times
Quote:
Then you agree that some laws can or should be changed?
Would you always be obedient to the laws of the land?
Yes

Yes, if I am aware of them I am obedient to them and have, even if they seem stupid to my reasoning !!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,829,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
hippies or dope heads! isn't that judgemental?
No.

Quote:
in my neck of the woods they're (christian right wingers) wanting to make sagging pants illegal...where does it end?
can't we all just get along?
It ends when parents start parenting ....

It ends when common sense becomes common again

It ends when people realize that it doesn't much to know that "pant's on the ground...lookin like a fool" is common sense.

Quote:
do you really believe God establishes the rules of this land or any land?
have'nt you ever heard of lobbyist and special interest groups?
God established goverments.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM

4,992 posts, read 7,780,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Yes

Yes, if I am aware of them I am obedient to them and have, even if they seem stupid to my reasoning !!
Well, I certainly agree with you in that there are some pretty stupid laws. I was asking because you cited a few Biblical verses which indicate submission to authority, in this case, Laws of the Land, and concluded by saying, "Breaking the law is sin in God's eye..."

I wasn't asking if you are or have been obedient to laws you have been aware of. I was asking more in a future tense, "Would you always be obedient to the laws of the land?" In other words, are there any conditions that might cause you to draw the line and be willing to break the law? The point being that laws can be beneficial to people, but laws can also be enacted that can be hinderance to people or are self-serving to only a few.

I think I've pretty well clarified my position in this thread in the past. I assume that in my last few posts, you can understand that my view is primarily toward the use of marijuana for prescribed medical purposes as a means to relieve chronic pain and suffering. I also believe that any use of it should be done so in a responsible manner. There's no sound reason NOT to allow it for that reason if it can be helpful to a legitimate patient who can benefit by it. To do that requires changing the laws, and there are more states that are doing just that.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 AM

3,008 posts, read 2,265,129 times
a God did have some Laws in the O.T. but they were simply too strigent for most of mankind; therefore that God's Laws had to be ammended. it may appear to some the original Laws have been cherry-picked but to those i say "do not believe you lying eyes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or