U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,295 posts, read 20,031,205 times
Reputation: 2110

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Good heavens Finn, are you always so dang serious? Yeah, I freely admit I struggle with cigarettes and booze, so what do you have to say about me now? If I had a big fatty I'd probably smoke it. But the fact is I don't like it, or I should say it doesn't like me. Just makes me paranoid. But I'm certainly not going to condemn my friends who do smoke it. I have a friend who told me she smoked some tonight because her hip was hurting her so bad that she needed some relief. I see nothing wrong with it if it helps with pain, whether mental or physical. I don't care if the law says it's illegal, they gladly dole it out through a pharmacy if the doctor prescribes it so don't use that tired old argument.
Illene it's the same old people saying you shouldn't do this that or the other,what is supposedly christian and what isn't, this is right, that is not right,it's everbody else's life they want to correct, but their own . If it's not a threat,it's a warning of consequences. Never understanding whatever is not done in faith is sin.Because of this and what they teach you will never see me walk through the doors of a church again, regardless of how nice many of its members maybe, there's many a nice people in the world too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,581 posts, read 31,974,824 times
Reputation: 9423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Good heavens Finn, are you always so dang serious? Yeah, I freely admit I struggle with cigarettes and booze, so what do you have to say about me now? If I had a big fatty I'd probably smoke it. But the fact is I don't like it, or I should say it doesn't like me. Just makes me paranoid. But I'm certainly not going to condemn my friends who do smoke it. I have a friend who told me she smoked some tonight because her hip was hurting her so bad that she needed some relief. I see nothing wrong with it if it helps with pain, whether mental or physical. I don't care if the law says it's illegal, they gladly dole it out through a pharmacy if the doctor prescribes it so don't use that tired old argument.
I am not saying anything about you. I said I struggled with addictions, did I not? If you are going to take everything as a personal attack, then don't blame me for being the serious one. So, first you say you were kidding, but not it sounds like you were not. Either way it doesn't matter to me, I just wanted to point out the Biblical angle to it since this is a Christian discussion forum.

In Florida and most of the country it is illegal, so it is not an old and tired argument. Anyone who smokes pot in Florida are guilty of breaking the law. Period.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-16-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,581 posts, read 31,974,824 times
Reputation: 9423
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I asked you, because how can you make a judgement on the effects of smoking pot , when you obvously haven't got a clue if you haven't.
And I asked you, because obviously you haven't got a clue if you haven't tried it.

Is this some kind of kid's game?

If you want to talk about your own drug use, then knock yourself out and I pray that you won't get deported or fired from your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 AM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,831,819 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
If I had a big fatty I'd probably smoke it. But the fact is I don't like it, or I should say it doesn't like me. Just makes me paranoid. But I'm certainly not going to condemn my friends who do smoke it. I have a friend who told me she smoked some tonight because her hip was hurting her so bad that she needed some relief. I see nothing wrong with it if it helps with pain, whether mental or physical. I don't care if the law says it's illegal, they gladly dole it out through a pharmacy if the doctor prescribes it so don't use that tired old argument.
This is why smoking marijuana is a sin............".the law says it's illegal,"


This however is the more disturbing:
" I don't care if the law says it's illegal,..." that isn't a sign of love Ilene.

Then why have sexual preditors laws...how heartless
Then why have rape laws.....how heartless
Then why have cusomer fraud laws ... how heartless
Then why have child seat belt laws ... how heartless
Then why have animal protection laws ... how heartless

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,581 posts, read 31,974,824 times
Reputation: 9423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
And I think when someone says - "I wish I had a big fatty right now" we can safely assume that person is joking. If they weren't joking - I'm pretty sure they would have worded it differently. They probably wouldn't have called it a big fatty!
I have been around enough to know that it is not necessarily a joke. It means that if they had one, they would smoke one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,581 posts, read 31,974,824 times
Reputation: 9423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
LOL!! You're right, I've never seen anyone throw up from smoking too much pot! I've only known of one person in my entire life that was addicted to pot and there was something wrong with that girl. But she never threw up!!.
I haven't seen puking either, but I have seen people faint, or nearly faint after doing 'gravity hits'. And after that they are completely out of it, much like a person who took a hit off a crack pipe.

I know people who are unable to quit smoking pot. These days it is an expensive habit and these people would rather not smoke it on daily bases, but that can't quit. It is a mental addiction, not a physical one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 AM
 
4,891 posts, read 9,001,488 times
Reputation: 8366
WOWZERS!
36 pages of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,295 posts, read 20,031,205 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And I asked you, because obviously you haven't got a clue if you haven't tried it.

Is this some kind of kid's game?

If you want to talk about your own drug use, then knock yourself out and I pray that you won't get deported or fired from your job.

What if(?) i have smoked pot ? are you going to hold it against me ?

If you have never smoked pot, you will never know the effects of it,which is what i said.How is that a kid's game ?,how could i make a judgement on an experience, i have never had, i think that is a reasonable comment, whether i'm right or wrong.

For your info, i'm self employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,295 posts, read 20,031,205 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
WOWZERS!
36 pages of this.
What do you expect ?, christians love telling us what they think is sin and what isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 AM
 
4,994 posts, read 7,782,503 times
Reputation: 2889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Good heavens Finn, are you always so dang serious? Yeah, I freely admit I struggle with cigarettes and booze, so what do you have to say about me now? If I had a big fatty I'd probably smoke it. But the fact is I don't like it, or I should say it doesn't like me. Just makes me paranoid. But I'm certainly not going to condemn my friends who do smoke it. I have a friend who told me she smoked some tonight because her hip was hurting her so bad that she needed some relief. I see nothing wrong with it if it helps with pain, whether mental or physical. I don't care if the law says it's illegal, they gladly dole it out through a pharmacy if the doctor prescribes it so don't use that tired old argument.
I thought the term "fatty" was pretty humorous. I got quite a chuckle out of it.

I agree that if it can help a person feel some relief from pain or other medical issues, then it's a viable alternative to stronger and highly addictive narcotics or other nerve blockers that aren't necessarily addictive but just don't work for everyone. Pain does have importance in that it serves as an alarm. Chronic pain, however, is something that can be controlled by at least reducing the intensity of pain.

I don't know if marijuana is helpful for everyone, but then not all pharmaceutical medications are helpful for everyone, which is why doctors may change prescriptions until finding whatever seems to work for a given patient. There are a wide variety of things available, much in the same way as there is a variety of antibiotics that are available. Some specific antibiotics don't work for certain people.

Some people complain and condemn any use of marijuana as something "evil", without taking into account whether it may actually be useful or not. Frankly, that kind of thinking seems to stem from the 1936 "Reefer Madness" mentality and prohibition. Prior to prohibition, marijuana was hardly considered anything particularly "evil". For that matter, it was grown by the federal government for industrial hemp fiber and oils.
Hemp fans look toward Lyster Dewey's past, and the Pentagon, for higher ground

You mentioned that you don't like it because it makes you feel paranoid. If I may be permitted to say, I don't think it's the marijuana that causes feelings of paranoia. I would suggest that it's more likely because of other issues that are more easily suppressed. It's also possible that such paranoia may be due to fears of being arrested and fears of what other people might think. However, if a person doesn't feel comfortable about it, then I agree, that person may be better off without it.

You brought up a very interesting point. Many pharmacies provide marijuana with a physician's prescription. Not just the corner drug store, but hospital pharmacies as well. Many hospital pharmacies have made such provisions for as long as I can remember. It just wasn't openly promoted. And where did the supply come from? From government maruijuana farms, primarily in Mississippi. Medical marijuana isn't anything new.
Uncle Sam's Pot Farm

It's also worth mentioning that the US Dept of Justice ordered that arrests of medical marijuana users be discontinued. Instead, the DEA's focus is aimed at illegal profiteering by cartels and similar dealers with quantities larger than for personal use. That doesn't mean that state and city laws can't have their own laws, but I would guess that the attitudes over medical marijuana will eventually change overall to allow for regulated distribution that's subject to taxation at both federal and state levels. I wouldn't be surprised if people would eventually be permitted to grow their own from seed without taxation, much in the same way as buying other herb seed and seedlings from a garden nursery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top