U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,335 posts, read 20,071,763 times
Reputation: 2114

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I think you might have missed my point Finn. Sure, there are people who abuse pot. However, having said that, it's not the pot that's abusing people. Using your point of view about psychological "addictions", the same thing could be said in some cases about food. Some people are obsessed with over consumption. That doesn't make food inherently addictive though. It means it's usually related to some issues in their head that have been left unresolved.

Regarding the medical use of pot, if you're only talking about it in general, then it would seem you're also including the medical use in with that generalization. That's the problem with generalizing things. Or are you saying that medical application, along with extracting fibers and oils, are valid exceptions?
Fair and balanced springs to mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,651 posts, read 32,108,797 times
Reputation: 9443
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It gets a little personal when you change something on it's head and accuse folk of saying what they have not said.
Did I accuse you of saying something you did not say? What was it?

Quote:
You are clearly judging the use of marijuana on this thread,
I gave my opinion on it from Biblical perspective and even added comment "in my opinion". I am sorry you have a problem with it but this is a place where people come to share their opinon. The topic of this thread is "is smoking marijuana a sin" so it is appropriate to talk about it here.

Quote:
because everything what you do not approve of, whether you have done it in the past or not, is sin to you
Nah, that is a lie. I never said such thing.

Quote:
Well because it's sin to you, it does not necessarily means it's sin to someone else.
Sin to someone else? Sin is not a matter of personal opinion, because God decides what is sin and what is not. It is not for you or me to say. That is why I added "in my opinion". You should try using that phrase too.

I am done talking to you. It is too bad every conversation with you always ends up in an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,335 posts, read 20,071,763 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did I accuse you of saying something you did not say? What was it?



I gave my opinion on it from Biblical perspective and even added comment "in my opinion". I am sorry you have a problem with it but this is a place where people come to share their opinon. The topic of this thread is "is smoking marijuana a sin" so it is appropriate to talk about it here.



Nah, that is a lie. I never said such thing.



Sin to someone else? Sin is not a matter of personal opinion, because God decides what is sin and what is not. It is not for you or me to say. That is why I added "in my opinion". You should try using that phrase too.

I am done talking to you. It is too bad every conversation with you always ends up in an argument.
That's because you twist the words of others, and you are always called out on it.

You said this Finn, which i never came close to assuming or saying anything of the sort

"You don't know anything about my past"

Read Romans 14 in regards to what is sin and what isn't, rather than thinking it's spiritual to say sin is what God calls sin. .

1 Corinthians 10:23.All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.I think the believer can decide that for himself, rather than a bible basher claiming everything he doesn't agree with is sin.


Addiction is addiction Finn, nothing to do with the actual thing you are addicted to, you can be addicted to anything in life, even your own fears.I could be addicted to apples, are apples sinful ?. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

If i was in the company of believers and one of them smoked pot by faith, i would have no issue at all with it, if i was uncomfortable or offended with it i would leave in love, not in judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,651 posts, read 32,108,797 times
Reputation: 9443
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Addiction is addiction Finn, nothing to do with the actual thing you are addicted to, you can be addicted to anything in life, even your own fears.I could be addicted to apples, are apples sinful ?. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
So, if you are addicted to heroin, it has nothing to do with heroin. Okey dokey.

I am sorry you failed in your silly attempt to make me reveal personal information about my past.

As for your accusations, you can play you games all you want, but your posts are here for all to see, so you don't have to spend any more time trying to smear me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,335 posts, read 20,071,763 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, if you are addicted to heroin, it has nothing to do with heroin. Okey dokey.

I am sorry you failed in your silly attempt to make me reveal personal information about my past.

As for your accusations, you can play you games all you want, but your posts are here for all to see, so you don't have to spend any more time trying to smear me.
This is why everything around you is sin and nothing you approve of isn't.

But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'

For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.The list is as long as your arm and Addiction is in there Finn if you have eyes to see.

See ya, have the last word .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,651 posts, read 32,108,797 times
Reputation: 9443
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
This is why everything around you is sin and nothing you approve of isn't.
Your words, not mine, but whatever makes you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 03:06 PM
 
4,994 posts, read 7,793,401 times
Reputation: 2889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, if you are addicted to heroin, it has nothing to do with heroin. Okey dokey.
WOW! This is precisely the kind of mistaken, antiquated and unfounded "reefer madness" type logic that attempts to compare marijuana with heroin, which in turn suggests that both are pretty much the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,782 posts, read 47,681,912 times
Reputation: 17686
Why must people keep bringing 'addiction' into a conversation about non-addictive substances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
 
4,994 posts, read 7,793,401 times
Reputation: 2889
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Why must people keep bringing 'addiction' into a conversation about non-addictive substances?
Good question FB. I can only assume the reason may be along the lines that anything that causes wooziness must be addictive. That's utter nonsense. There are plenty of over-the-counter allergy and flu medications that can cause wooziness too. As far as I know, none of those are addictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,771,861 times
Reputation: 58199
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I thought the term "fatty" was pretty humorous. I got quite a chuckle out of it.
Thanks, I think it's pretty humorous too. So according to Finn just because I know the term "fatty" I'm some kinda big ol' pothead. I think anyone who grew up in the 70's knows all about "the lingo", they don't have to be pot smokers. LOL, I used to have a secret agent roach clip, disguised as a pen. Take the cap off and voila, there's your instant roach clip that stretched out like an antenna which I always assumed was for the purpose of passing it back and forth from the front to the back seat. It was awesome, wish I still had that thing. And all the other paraphenalia from back then......remember stones? Head shops? I'm not endorsing illegal pot smoking by any means, but we lived in different times back then and most everyone I know my age has got a clue about this stuff. It ain't exactly a "pot smoker's secret lingo".

Quote:
I agree that if it can help a person feel some relief from pain or other medical issues, then it's a viable alternative to stronger and highly addictive narcotics or other nerve blockers that aren't necessarily addictive but just don't work for everyone. Pain does have importance in that it serves as an alarm. Chronic pain, however, is something that can be controlled by at least reducing the intensity of pain.
Exactly. My friend who uses pot for pain does not like having to use strong narcotics, even though it's so easy to get them with her condition. She doesn't want to get addicted and I think it's commendable that she doesn't abuse prescription drugs. But she does need something, and pot relieves the pain for a little while.

Quote:
I don't know if marijuana is helpful for everyone, but then not all pharmaceutical medications are helpful for everyone, which is why doctors may change prescriptions until finding whatever seems to work for a given patient. There are a wide variety of things available, much in the same way as there is a variety of antibiotics that are available. Some specific antibiotics don't work for certain people.
Right, it may not work as a pain reliever for some people who can't relax enough to enjoy the medicinal effects of it. It probably wouldn't work for me, I don't know. But certain cancer patients definitely benefit from it.

Quote:
Some people complain and condemn any use of marijuana as something "evil", without taking into account whether it may actually be useful or not. Frankly, that kind of thinking seems to stem from the 1936 "Reefer Madness" mentality and prohibition. Prior to prohibition, marijuana was hardly considered anything particularly "evil". For that matter, it was grown by the federal government for industrial hemp fiber and oils.
Hemp fans look toward Lyster Dewey's past, and the Pentagon, for higher ground
I know, ridiculous isn't it? I remember seeing a little bit of that film made about "reefer madness"......it was soooo overly dramatic and hilarious!

Quote:
You mentioned that you don't like it because it makes you feel paranoid. If I may be permitted to say, I don't think it's the marijuana that causes feelings of paranoia. I would suggest that it's more likely because of other issues that are more easily suppressed. It's also possible that such paranoia may be due to fears of being arrested and fears of what other people might think. However, if a person doesn't feel comfortable about it, then I agree, that person may be better off without it.
Well things just don't agree with me like they do other people. It's definitely the pot and not me, I'm not a paranoid person at all. I think it also depends on the quality of the pot too. Every time I ever smoked it I always felt "dirty".....like I needed to wash my hands or take a shower. Maybe you're right, could be all that talk of "reefer madness" and that it's altering my brain chemistry.

Quote:
You brought up a very interesting point. Many pharmacies provide marijuana with a physician's prescription. Not just the corner drug store, but hospital pharmacies as well. Many hospital pharmacies have made such provisions for as long as I can remember. It just wasn't openly promoted. And where did the supply come from? From government maruijuana farms, primarily in Mississippi. Medical marijuana isn't anything new.
Uncle Sam's Pot Farm
That's right, it's not anything new. I wish my friend could get a prescription for it but she probably couldn't afford to pay for it, no insurance. The only reason she has any now is because she grew her own last year. I see absolutely nothing wrong with growing your own supply for yourself, not to sell. That's what they should legalize.

Quote:
It's also worth mentioning that the US Dept of Justice ordered that arrests of medical marijuana users be discontinued. Instead, the DEA's focus is aimed at illegal profiteering by cartels and similar dealers with quantities larger than for personal use. That doesn't mean that state and city laws can't have their own laws, but I would guess that the attitudes over medical marijuana will eventually change overall to allow for regulated distribution that's subject to taxation at both federal and state levels. I wouldn't be surprised if people would eventually be permitted to grow their own from seed without taxation, much in the same way as buying other herb seed and seedlings from a garden nursery.
Hmmmm........that's exactly what I just said above. Legalize being able to grow it, not necessarily to buy it or sell it. I'm glad the DEA has decided to focus on the real criminals instead of people just trying to get pain relief. I don't see that happening anytime soon though. Nice post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top