U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 PM

58,463 posts, read 31,862,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
WOW! This is precisely the kind of mistaken, antiquated and unfounded "reefer madness" type logic that attempts to compare marijuana with heroin, which in turn suggests that both are pretty much the same.
No, I am making no such comparison, and you know it. I was only replying to the poster who said that addiction has nothing to do with the substance itself. That comment would mean that heroin addiction has nothing to do with heroin, and nicotine addiction has nothing to do with nicotine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Why must people keep bringing 'addiction' into a conversation about non-addictive substances?
I mentioned that I know some people who are unable to quit pot.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,249,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
there's quite a difference between unable and unwilling.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Thanks, I think it's pretty humorous too. So according to Finn just because I know the term "fatty" I'm some kinda big ol' pothead.
Why do you say that? I never accused you of being a pothead or anything anything, and you know it. Everyone knows the term.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
there's quite a difference between unable and unwilling.
Pot causes mental addiction, and that is a fact. An addiction is an urge to possess and use the drug, and pot definitely causes that urge. I know people who want to quit it, but can't. Maybe they would be able to if they put in more effort, but the fact that it is difficult is proof of addiction.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM

2,367 posts, read 2,021,184 times
Quote:

I've been smoking pot for 25 years, I hear its addictive but I can quit anytime I want to.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I've been smoking pot for 25 years, I hear its addictive but I can quit anytime I want to.
That's what they all say.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM

4,981 posts, read 7,760,512 times
Quote:
No, I am making no such comparison, and you know it. I was only replying to the poster who said that addiction has nothing to do with the substance itself. That comment would mean that heroin addiction has nothing to do with heroin, and nicotine addiction has nothing to do with nicotine.
Excuse me? I kinow what you were talking about. I agree with you that heroin addiction does indeed have to do with heroin and nicotine addiction has to do with nicotine. So you're not making a connection to marijuana?

The thread is about whether smoking marijuana is a sin, or not. It's about marijuana, not heroin or nicotine. You're making no such comparison? I dare say that you are, perhaps indirectly, but the comparison is still strongly there none the less. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Earlier you said that marijuana is addictive, psychologically. What evidence is there to support that? As I said before, any psychological "addiction" stems purely from the mind of the user. It's not caused by marijuana. Then later mentioning heroin, which of course is addictive, but that's a completely different matter. In all fairness, heroin doesn't just leap out and attack people like a rabid dog. Although no one plans to become an addict, a person does have to make that initial decision to use it in the first place. My point was that in terms of talking about the addictive qualities of heroin, combined with your earlier statement that marijuana is addictive, it is indeed significant, and suggesting that both are addictive.

As I stated, that's part of the problem, at least in an historical perspective, and is the same deceptive argument posed by the 1936 film, "Reefer Madness", which was shown in churches around the country. The film was originally financed by a church group under the title, "Tell Your Children". As the film made the rounds to different churches and revivals, many church leaders took to pounding the pulpit with the battle cry that marijuana is morally sinful because it can turn normal people into raving lunatics that must be confined to an insane asylum, perhaps for the rest of their lives!
Reefer Madness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harry J. Anslinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my opinion, there is a case that can made with regard to smoking marijuana as being potentially harmful. Smoking marijuana in the form of doobies, or with pipes, bongs or hookahs, delivers THC faster than eating in the form of brownies, etc., but it also delivers tars, ash, carbon monoxide into the lungs. Synthetic THC (usually in capsule form) is said to not be as effective as the organic form and is also slow to work. Vaporizors on the other hand, delivers the THC (and other related chemicals found only in the plant) in the form of a vapor.

Today, most of the major medical associations, such as the AMA, recognize the use of marijuana as a valid medication for medical purposes.
American Medical Association returns to original position on marijuana (http://www.shadyhousepub.com/mpiu/american-medical-association-wants-to-use-medical-marijuana/ - broken link)

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl...eport3-i09.pdf

Medical Marijuana

Marijuana

Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,585,178 times
Quote:
Excuse me? I kinow what you were talking about. I agree with you that heroin addiction does indeed have to do with heroin and nicotine addiction has to do with nicotine. So you're not making a connection to marijuana?

The thread is about whether smoking marijuana is a sin, or not. It's about marijuana, not heroin or nicotine. You're making no such comparison? I dare say that you are, perhaps indirectly, but the comparison is still strongly there none the less. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Earlier you said that marijuana is addictive, psychologically. What evidence is there to support that? As I said before, any psychological "addiction" stems purely from the mind of the user. It's not caused by marijuana. Then later mentioning heroin, which of course is addictive, but that's a completely different matter. In all fairness, heroin doesn't just leap out and attack people like a rabid dog. Although no one plans to become an addict, a person does have to make that initial decision to use it in the first place. My point was that in terms of talking about the addictive qualities of heroin, combined with your earlier statement that marijuana is addictive, it is indeed significant, and suggesting that both are addictive.

As I stated, that's part of the problem, at least in an historical perspective, and is the same deceptive argument posed by the 1936 film, "Reefer Madness", which was shown in churches around the country. The film was originally financed by a church group under the title, "Tell Your Children". As the film made the rounds to different churches and revivals, many church leaders took to pounding the pulpit with the battle cry that marijuana is morally sinful because it can turn normal people into raving lunatics that must be confined to an insane asylum, perhaps for the rest of their lives!
Reefer Madness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harry J. Anslinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my opinion, there is a case that can made with regard to smoking marijuana as being potentially harmful. Smoking marijuana in the form of doobies, or with pipes, bongs or hookahs, delivers THC faster than eating in the form of brownies, etc., but it also delivers tars, ash, carbon monoxide into the lungs. Synthetic THC (usually in capsule form) is said to not be as effective as the organic form and is also slow to work. Vaporizors on the other hand, delivers the THC (and other related chemicals found only in the plant) in the form of a vapor.

Today, most of the major medical associations, such as the AMA, recognize the use of marijuana as a valid medication for medical purposes.
American Medical Association returns to original position on marijuana (http://www.shadyhousepub.com/mpiu/american-medical-association-wants-to-use-medical-marijuana/ - broken link)

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl...eport3-i09.pdf

Medical Marijuana

Marijuana
Hey NightBazzar. I didn't know you post here.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or