Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I know a very passages where God speaks of 'drunkards'.

Could you please show us a few passages that command us to never be drunk?

I am asking this since it has been brought up a few times.

We all know drunkards, in our culture we call them alcoholics. For their own peace of mind, once they have gained control of their 'issue', they must stay far away from all alcohol.

And we all know that becoming an alcoholic is completely different from sipping a glass of wine with dinner.

So again, could you be so kind to show us which passages you are talking about [that command against drink]?

An interesting diatribe of man-made doctrine.

Again since you are saying that this is derived from the Bible; could you possibly share with us the passages that you feel say: 'drunk equals taking something into your system that short circuit your moral senses'

and 'which makes sin look attractive to you'

Thanks
What you asked for is really easy.....stay tune..O.K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:37 PM

Default You are going to be shocked...I Agree With You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It depends on the reason. If the objective it purely for an amusing sensation, then it might be wrong. But if the purpose is to provide a medical benefit, it's a different matter. Would you feel it's a sin if you are given a pain killer or sedative (that makes you feel woozy) to have dental work done, or you needed to have surgery done, or if you suffered from chronic pain?
If You Have A Medical Condiction Or Injuries Or Disease and need Pain
Relief , you are not going to be going out and engaging into activity that
you normally wouldn't engage in....you are going to be incapacitated to
a certain degree. Now on the other hand , if you are getting (DRUNK) just
to Loosen Yourself (UP) and do some things that you would under no
circumstances do (SOMBER) that's totally different now isn't it.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
What you asked for is really easy.....stay tune..O.K.
Sure

"Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts."

Old 10-21-2009, 03:26 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. The same Bible also says that women should not teach or preach.

So if we are to interpret the Bible literally, since the Bible says nothing about smoking pot, am I correct in assuming that smoking pot is OK?

As has been seen in the replies, there are a lot of things not mentioned in the Bible, that are harmful to the body. There is a "catch-all" phrase in the Bible that addresses this:

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 (King James Version)

16Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

17If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

So, bottem line: is something you are doing, eating, drinking, smoking, injecting, etc doing harm to your body? Above scripture applies...

Bud

Old 10-21-2009, 05:25 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
If You Have A Medical Condiction Or Injuries Or Disease and need Pain
Relief , you are not going to be going out and engaging into activity that
you normally wouldn't engage in....you are going to be incapacitated to
a certain degree. Now on the other hand , if you are getting (DRUNK) just
to Loosen Yourself (UP) and do some things that you would under no
circumstances do (SOMBER) that's totally different now isn't it.

My point was simply to distinguish whether the use of smoking marijuana is a sin or not. It depends on the reason. Regardless, the bottom line is that it still requires using it in a responsible manner that doesn't result in harm to the individual or anyone else. The same is true for any other medication that may cause drowsiness, including certain cold or allergy medications.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
As has been seen in the replies, there are a lot of things not mentioned in the Bible, that are harmful to the body. There is a "catch-all" phrase in the Bible that addresses this:

16Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

17If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

So, bottem line: is something you are doing, eating, drinking, smoking, injecting, etc doing harm to your body? Above scripture applies...

Bud
Right the 'body of Christ' the church must never be harmed.

We are each members in particular of that body too, we can not all be the hand, nor the foot, but each member of the body needs all of the other members.

We must keep the body from harm.

'Ecclesiastes 3:11 He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.
:12 I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life.
:13 And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.'

Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Default Be Sure To Translate Your Words From The English To The Greek....

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Sure

"Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts."
This is talking about giving Strong Drink To SOMEONE DYING IN PAIN....and
in the Biblical Era WINE was both Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic...GRAPE JUICE and REAL MAKE YOURSELF DRUNK WINE....BUT THE BIBLE STILL SAID BE NOT DRUNK WITH WINE....DOESN'T IT....

Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
This is talking about giving Strong Drink To SOMEONE DYING IN PAIN....
God hates idols.

God tells us to stay away from idols.

We all generally understand and agree that idols are 'bad'.

Idols are 'bad' under all circumstances.

God never tells anyone to worship an idol.

Why? Because idols are bad and God is consistent.

If God said that alcohol was 'bad' [which God never does], then God would never tell anyone, under any circumstances, to drink.

God never commands you to sin.

If alcohol were 'bad' than it would be 'bad' under all circumstances.

Quote:
... and in the Biblical Era WINE was both Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic ... GRAPE JUICE and REAL MAKE YOURSELF DRUNK WINE....
An interesting theory. It is not supported by Archeology, and it is not supported by any Bible passage.

Read John chapter 2. Jesus' first public performance of a miracle was when he brought the booze to a week-long party.

And there were complaints because it was the good stuff. God only provides the good stuff.

Acts 2:13 explains that even the 'new wine' was alcoholic.

Wine was not called wine unless it was wine. Even when it was called 'new wine', it was not labeled 'wine' until after it had been fermented.

There was no 'new wine' that would have been alcohol-free.

Quote:
... BUT THE BIBLE STILL SAID BE NOT DRUNK WITH WINE....DOESN'T IT....
And God tells us not to be drunkards yes.

Your point?

Drunkenness is forbidden. To become a drunkard is forbidden, however drinking is not forbidden.

Enjoying wine and even hard drink is encouraged at times by God.

"Psalm 104:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty.
:2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:
:3 Who ...
:13 He ...
:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;
:15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart."

Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
I was gonna give my life to the Lord before I got high

I was gonna surrender and put all my trust in Him but then I got high

Now I'm burning in hell and I know why...I know why...because I got high..because I got high...because I got high

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

Bud
AMEN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity