U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,898 posts, read 5,973,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
It may cause sloth,gluttony,lust etc. which are said to be sins.It will give you poor judgement and slow reactions when you need your best judgement and quick action.Did you ever consider that maybe this was somehow planted by the devil and has no real productive value other than hemp? That is why it is called weed and is illegal.It wastes many peoples lives and potential.So it may not be a sin in and of it self but it does lead to it.The last time i checked,however, everyone was a sinner.But you only have one life on earth to live and you can be happy without it.Dont let it waste you.Think about it.
maybe, but Jesus did drink wine, so how about this ...

It may cause sloth,gluttony,lust etc. which are said to be sins.It will give you poor judgement and slow reactions when you need your best judgement and quick action.Did you ever consider that maybe this was somehow planted by the devil and has no real productive value other than ethanol fuel? That is why it is called booze and was illegal.It wastes many peoples lives and potential.So it may not be a sin in and of it self but it does lead to it.The last time i checked,however, everyone was a sinner.But you only have one life on earth to live and you can be happy without it.Dont let it waste you.Think about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:54 PM

29,730 posts, read 47,517,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
maybe, but Jesus did drink wine, so how about this ...

It may cause sloth,gluttony,lust etc. which are said to be sins.It will give you poor judgement and slow reactions when you need your best judgement and quick action.Did you ever consider that maybe this was somehow planted by the devil and has no real productive value other than ethanol fuel? That is why it is called booze and was illegal.It wastes many peoples lives and potential.So it may not be a sin in and of it self but it does lead to it.The last time i checked,however, everyone was a sinner.But you only have one life on earth to live and you can be happy without it.Dont let it waste you.Think about it.

The true 'gateway' drug is oxygen.

Breathing oxygen leads to sin.

No sinner ever sinned without first breathing oxygen.

So do we cut out the sin and just illegalize oxygen?

Oxygen is not a sin, breathing oxygen is not a sin.

Alcohol is not a sin, drinking alcohol is not a sin.

Aspirin, opium, THC, none of these things are sins of themselves.

An automobile is not a sin, but you can sin using an automobile.

None of these things are sins; yet each of these things can lead to sin.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,361,521 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. The same Bible also says that women should not teach or preach.

So if we are to interpret the Bible literally, since the Bible says nothing about smoking pot, am I correct in assuming that smoking pot is OK?

You can assume anything, which is something that a lot of well meaning people do at times, you are on your own with this one

Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,361,521 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I believe that everything that grows or moves on this earth is here for some benefit to man, including the plants such as marijuana which has some medicinal value when controlled in prescription form..

It is the abuse of those things that are not in accordance to Christian beliefs..

Personally I have never wanted to not be in control of my mind so have never used the "weed" or overindulged in "Jack Daniels" to enhance my social life..

When you lose control of your mind you put not only yourselves in danger, but those around you whether they are strangers in the other car, or your loved ones anxiously awaiting for you to come home safely..

Miss Blue;
You have a wonderful way with words
God Bless You

Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 AM

292 posts, read 460,028 times
This statement below is about smoking, it talks about how cigarettes damage body and how damaging your body is a sin. So I guess smoking marijuana is a sin since it can damage your body, especially your brain.

http://www.gotquestions.org/smoking-Christian-sin.html

The best thing to do is to not even smoke marijuana at all or any other drugs or alcohol, etc. They put toxins in your body.

The Bible never directly mentions smoking. There are principles, however, that definitely apply to smoking. First, the Bible commands us not to allow our bodies to become "mastered" by anything. "Everything is permissible for me—but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me—but I will not be mastered by anything" (1 Corinthians 6:12). Smoking is undeniably strongly addictive. Later in the same passage we are told, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Smoking is undoubtedly very bad for your health. Smoking has been proven to damage the lungs and the heart.

Can smoking be considered "beneficial" (1 Corinthians 6:12)? Can it be said that smoking is truly honoring God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:20)? Can a person honestly smoke "for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31)? We believe that the answer to these three questions is a resounding "no." As a result, we believe that smoking is a sin and therefore should not be practiced by followers of Jesus Christ.

Some argue against this view by pointing to the fact that many people eat unhealthy foods, which can be just as addicting and just as bad for the body. As an example, many people are so helplessly addicted to caffeine that they cannot function without their first cup of coffee in the morning. While this is true, how does that make smoking right? It is our contention that Christians should avoid gluttony and excessively unhealthy eating. Yes, Christians are often hypocritical by condemning one sin and condoning another, but, again, this does not make smoking honoring to God.

Another argument against this view of smoking is that many godly men have been smokers, such as the famous British preacher C.H. Spurgeon, who was known to smoke cigars. Again, we do not believe this argument holds any weight. We believe Spurgeon was wrong for smoking. Was he otherwise a godly man and fantastic teacher of God's Word? Absolutely! Does that make all of his actions and habits honoring to God? No.

In stating that smoking is a sin, we are not stating that all smokers are unsaved. There are many true believers in Jesus Christ who smoke. Smoking does not prevent a person from being saved. Nor does it cause a person to lose salvation. Smoking is no less forgivable than any other sin, whether for a person becoming a Christian or a Christian confessing his/her sin to God (1 John 1:9). At the same time, we firmly believe that smoking is a sin that should be forsaken and, with God’s help, overcome.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 AM

29,730 posts, read 47,517,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
This statement below is about smoking, it talks about how cigarettes damage body and how damaging your body is a sin. So I guess smoking marijuana is a sin since it can damage your body, especially your brain.

What is the Christian view of smoking? Is smoking a sin?

The best thing to do is to not even smoke marijuana at all or any other drugs or alcohol, etc. They put toxins in your body.

The Bible never directly mentions smoking. There are principles, however, that definitely apply to smoking. First, the Bible commands us not to allow our bodies to become "mastered" by anything. "Everything is permissible for meóbut not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for meóbut I will not be mastered by anything" (1 Corinthians 6:12). Smoking is undeniably strongly addictive. Later in the same passage we are told, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Smoking is undoubtedly very bad for your health. Smoking has been proven to damage the lungs and the heart.

Can smoking be considered "beneficial" (1 Corinthians 6:12)? Can it be said that smoking is truly honoring God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:20)? Can a person honestly smoke "for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31)? We believe that the answer to these three questions is a resounding "no." As a result, we believe that smoking is a sin and therefore should not be practiced by followers of Jesus Christ.

Some argue against this view by pointing to the fact that many people eat unhealthy foods, which can be just as addicting and just as bad for the body. As an example, many people are so helplessly addicted to caffeine that they cannot function without their first cup of coffee in the morning. While this is true, how does that make smoking right? It is our contention that Christians should avoid gluttony and excessively unhealthy eating. Yes, Christians are often hypocritical by condemning one sin and condoning another, but, again, this does not make smoking honoring to God.

Another argument against this view of smoking is that many godly men have been smokers, such as the famous British preacher C.H. Spurgeon, who was known to smoke cigars. Again, we do not believe this argument holds any weight. We believe Spurgeon was wrong for smoking. Was he otherwise a godly man and fantastic teacher of God's Word? Absolutely! Does that make all of his actions and habits honoring to God? No.

In stating that smoking is a sin, we are not stating that all smokers are unsaved. There are many true believers in Jesus Christ who smoke. Smoking does not prevent a person from being saved. Nor does it cause a person to lose salvation. Smoking is no less forgivable than any other sin, whether for a person becoming a Christian or a Christian confessing his/her sin to God (1 John 1:9). At the same time, we firmly believe that smoking is a sin that should be forsaken and, with Godís help, overcome.
I can understand having issues with 'smoke'.

Smoke tends to carry carcinogens, chemicals known to cause cancer.

So don't smoke.

I am not in favour of any activity that knowingly puts toxins in your body.

However in the context of marijuana, smoking is not the only way to use it.

Tinctures work too.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,035,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I can understand having issues with 'smoke'.

Smoke tends to carry carcinogens, chemicals known to cause cancer.

So don't smoke.

I am not in favour of any activity that knowingly puts toxins in your body.

However in the context of marijuana, smoking is not the only way to use it.

Tinctures work too.
And brownies.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,898 posts, read 5,973,162 times
Quote:
no it doesn't

Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM

4,987 posts, read 7,766,432 times
Quote:
So I guess smoking marijuana is a sin since it can damage your body, especially your brain.
What about other forms of consumption that does not require smoking it?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 AM

1,503 posts, read 2,038,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
What about other forms of consumption that does not require smoking it?
Drinking to excess and injecting oneself with other drugs is similarly a bad thing to do.
Anything that is mind altering in a negative way to the individual could not be regarded as a good thing.
How often is alcohol implicated in physical assaults or domestic violence?
I have never been a pot smoker, and it is not a big part of the culture in this country, whereas excessive drinking is acceptable.
If it affects you in a bad way, then this is ungodly in my book, whatever drug that may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or