U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 AM
 
4,981 posts, read 7,758,835 times
Reputation: 2859

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Drinking to excess and injecting oneself with other drugs is similarly a bad thing to do.
Anything that is mind altering in a negative way to the individual could not be regarded as a good thing.
How often is alcohol implicated in physical assaults or domestic violence?
I have never been a pot smoker, and it is not a big part of the culture in this country, whereas excessive drinking is acceptable.
If it affects you in a bad way, then this is ungodly in my book, whatever drug that may be.

You raise some valid points about excess with which which I also agree. Flguy's point was in relation to smoking. I agree that alcohol is often implicated in physical assaults and domestic violence, not to mention automobile accidents. The same thing can be said about meth. Marijuana is a very different matter. Yes, there can be violence associated with it, but the violence tends to be more from greed over money related to underground distribution and sales of drugs, substances or materials that are illegal to possess.

I can't say I've ever heard of any physical assaults or domestic violence related to the use of marijuana. Most of that is myth. There may be cases where someone accused of such violence has claimed their actions were caused by the influence of marijuana in order to avoid jail time, but I think the real truth would show they had a violent personality to begin with, and that it has nothing to do with marijuana consumption.

However, my question was if smoking marijuana is physically harmful and smoking in and of itself is to be considered a sin, then would other forms of ingesting marijuana also be considered a sinful? I think it depends on the reasons for using it. I suppose THC can be injected, but that has to be pretty rare or done so for certain medical procedures. One example has to do with combating certain kinds of tumors. However, I've never heard of anyone injecting vegetative marijuana.

The difference I would question is between the typical recreational use of marijuana and the medical use of it. If it is used as a kind of recreational thrill just to get stoned, then it's pretty pointless excuse for using it. But if it is used for specific medical reasons such as pain control, then I think it's a different matter. If a person is under the influence of marijuana or any other sedating or relaxing medication, and decide to drive to the store or somewhere else, then that person should be held accountable for driving under the influence. It would be just as risky as using an over-the-counter PM cold or cough medication, or using prescribed sedating or pain medications.

It doesn't always require getting stoned to the gills, but it still has to be used in a responsible manner though as with any medication. Otherwise, it's just abusing it.

Again, if marijuana is used in a responsible manner and for a legitimate reason (medically), does that make using it a sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Redneck Hell Lucedale, Ms
388 posts, read 752,786 times
Reputation: 341
You know some say they feel closer to God when they smoke the wacky weeeed. Coool Dude....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 PM
 
175 posts, read 381,711 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Smoking anything including cigarettes is a sin because the Bible states that the body is a temple unto God and is to be respected. I think.
So then that also means any type of fat, sugar, red meat, or any junkfood whatsoever is disrupting the temple?

God states to do things in moderation. I've heard that saying many times "respect the temple". However, eating lots of sugar and junk really isn't respecting the temple either.

Smoking and drinking in moderation is respecting the temple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Comunistafornia, and working to get out ASAP!
1,959 posts, read 4,640,493 times
Reputation: 919
So if a person is a Spirit filled true believer there would be nothing wrong with them smoking pot and getting high? I think God would have a problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 05:52 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,122 posts, read 11,663,838 times
Reputation: 3418
Default Yes and no.......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
You raise some valid points about excess with which which I also agree. Flguy's point was in relation to smoking. I agree that alcohol is often implicated in physical assaults and domestic violence, not to mention automobile accidents. The same thing can be said about meth. Marijuana is a very different matter. Yes, there can be violence associated with it, but the violence tends to be more from greed over money related to underground distribution and sales of drugs, substances or materials that are illegal to possess.

I can't say I've ever heard of any physical assaults or domestic violence related to the use of marijuana. Most of that is myth. There may be cases where someone accused of such violence has claimed their actions were caused by the influence of marijuana in order to avoid jail time, but I think the real truth would show they had a violent personality to begin with, and that it has nothing to do with marijuana consumption.

However, my question was if smoking marijuana is physically harmful and smoking in and of itself is to be considered a sin, then would other forms of ingesting marijuana also be considered a sinful? I think it depends on the reasons for using it. I suppose THC can be injected, but that has to be pretty rare or done so for certain medical procedures. One example has to do with combating certain kinds of tumors. However, I've never heard of anyone injecting vegetative marijuana.

The difference I would question is between the typical recreational use of marijuana and the medical use of it. If it is used as a kind of recreational thrill just to get stoned, then it's pretty pointless excuse for using it. But if it is used for specific medical reasons such as pain control, then I think it's a different matter. If a person is under the influence of marijuana or any other sedating or relaxing medication, and decide to drive to the store or somewhere else, then that person should be held accountable for driving under the influence. It would be just as risky as using an over-the-counter PM cold or cough medication, or using prescribed sedating or pain medications.

It doesn't always require getting stoned to the gills, but it still has to be used in a responsible manner though as with any medication. Otherwise, it's just abusing it.

Again, if marijuana is used in a responsible manner and for a legitimate reason (medically), does that make using it a sin?
YES AND NO...........If you can't get any other Medical Relief..any
other drug to combat the disease or ease the pain and discomfort
and deep down in your SPIRIT you knew that you were only using it
for medical reason...and you felt at PEACE WITH GOD...but on the
other HAND if it's recreational use of Drugs and Alcohol They SHORT
CIRCUIT THE MORAL CHARACTER AND INTREGITY OF ALL HUMAN BEING
THAT"S WHY GOD OUT LAWS BEING DRUNK OR STONED....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 06:00 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,122 posts, read 11,663,838 times
Reputation: 3418
Default You Need A Sunday School Lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
You know some say they feel closer to God when they smoke the wacky weeeed. Coool Dude....
You my friend need a Sunday School Lesson , so I think that
I'll take a Look Into My Concordances and give you one on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Reputation: 17556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
So if a person is a Spirit filled true believer there would be nothing wrong with them smoking pot and getting high? I think God would have a problem with that.
That makes for an interesting opinion.

I can see where if a person were to become a drunkerd from his habitual use of pot, then we have Bible passages to indicate that God would not like it.

Please do tell us, what passage of God's Word do you base your opinion upon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Reputation: 17556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You my friend need a Sunday School Lesson , so I think that I'll take a Look Into My Concordances and give you one on Sunday.
Sir-

Back in post #41 you said that you would explain all of your Non-Biblical stances to us.

Now in post #86 you say it once again.

Please do, explain to us exactly why the Bible, God's Word, can not be trusted in this issue.

You said once, and now you have said it again that you would correct us, to show us why God can not be trusted in His own Word.

Please do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Comunistafornia, and working to get out ASAP!
1,959 posts, read 4,640,493 times
Reputation: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Please do tell us, what passage of God's Word do you base your opinion upon?
Many. But for starters, "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20)

Would getting high on a drug glorify God? No. Would getting high on a drug be something the Holy Spirit would like to be involved in; is that something He would do? No, obviously not.

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:1, 2)

Would getting high on a drug be holy and acceptable to God? No.

"Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth." (Colossians 3:2)

"For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ." (1 Corinthians 2:16)

Would getting high on a drug be something Jesus would have in mind? No.

"Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ..." (Philippians 1:27 a)

Is getting high on a drug be good conduct in the gospel? No.

You and others may not think so, but I happen to value God's word and see no case where smoking pot would be accordance with holiness and the gospel. But there will always be those that like to push the boundaries, but it only shows the kind of fruit one produces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 07:18 PM
 
4,981 posts, read 7,758,835 times
Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
YES AND NO...........If you can't get any other Medical Relief..any
other drug to combat the disease or ease the pain and discomfort
and deep down in your SPIRIT you knew that you were only using it
for medical reason...and you felt at PEACE WITH GOD...but on the
other HAND if it's recreational use of Drugs and Alcohol They SHORT
CIRCUIT THE MORAL CHARACTER AND INTREGITY OF ALL HUMAN BEING
THAT"S WHY GOD OUT LAWS BEING DRUNK OR STONED....

There are indeed other pain relieving drugs available. However, some are also narcotics that can have undesirable side effects such as physical addiction. If there's a choice between using a narcotic or using marijuana to achieve the same result for pain relief, seems to me the answer is pretty clear. That said, marijuana is not a cure all for all medical conditions, and the states that allow the use of medical marijuana clearly stipulate what medical conditions would qualify and benefit from medical marijuana. Not all kinds of pain can be relieved by marijuana which may indeed leave narcotics or nothing at all for certain conditions. For mild forms of pain (headaches, etc.) over-the-counter analgesics may be more suitable.

My point has nothing to do with the recreational and irresponsible use of drugs or alcohol, which I clearly stated. I'm only saying it is not sinful for valid uses. The only reason some people consider it sinful is because of false preconceived "Reefer Madness" type notions that marijuana is addictive and a gateway drug to hard street drugs, destroys the brain, or makes people go insane and causes them to start eating glass or babies. I do agree that if someone is under the influence of marijuana, even if just slightly so, it would be irresponsible and a hazard to get in the car and start driving around. The same thing applies with certain over-the-counter cold and flu medications.

Last edited by NightBazaar; 11-07-2009 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top