Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Folks keep this in mind:
'Things' are not spiritual, things are not evil.

There is no physical item that is inherently evil. God created the Heavens and Earth, and He pronounced all of His creation 'good'.

It is what you do with a thing that may be of an evil purpose or a holy purpose.
Without getting into the Biblical exceptions....the Law determines what something is legal or not, not whether a bunch of hippies or dope heads or mob rule thinks. If the law makes something illegal and you break that law that goverment established ...it's a sin.

Break one of God's law ...that's a sin.

God established goverments ... break a law from goverment, it's a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Without getting into the Biblical exceptions....the Law determines what something is legal or not, not whether a bunch of hippies or dope heads or mob rule thinks..
hippies or dope heads! isn't that judgemental? what about people who take legal narcotics to alter their mind-sets? i.e. valium, xanax, ativan etc. are they dope heads? their mentation is altered and probably some them are probably sitting in the pews.
Quote:
If the law makes something illegal and you break that law that goverment established ...it's a sin.

Break one of God's law ...that's a sin..
in my neck of the woods they're (christian right wingers) wanting to make sagging pants illegal...where does it end?
can't we all just get along?

Quote:
do you really believe God establishes the rules of this land or any land?
have'nt you ever heard of lobbyist and special interest groups?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Without getting into the Biblical exceptions....the Law determines what something is legal or not, not whether a bunch of hippies or dope heads or mob rule thinks. If the law makes something illegal and you break that law that goverment established ...it's a sin.
Okay, so within a finite box of a government wherein smoking God's herb is illegal, then perhaps it may become a sin.

However that is a box. Not everyone lives within that box.

Are there any other boxes you wish to construct today?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
Quote:

That's a very nasty and extremely uninformed thing to say about hippies, dope heads and mobs.....typical response from a fundamentalist. So as long as you pay for it through a pharmacy then it's okay? The government controls ALL drugs but that doesn't mean it's ok for them to do that. There used to be cocaine in coca-cola, ergo the "coca" part of the name. Until the government figured out they needed to be in control of that too. Just because something has been deemed "illegal" does not mean they have a right to make it so. And imo that is exactly the case with marijuana.....it wasn't always "illegal". It's all about control......and breaking certain "laws" are not always a sin. You can't prove biblically in any way shape or form that making use of a natural substance, just like hundreds of other "herbs", is in any way a "sin".

Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
Quote:

So if I want to visit China and preach the gospel, I'm a hell-bound sinner?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
1. Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities for there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
2. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.
3. For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;

God has placed the governing authority (laws, law enforcement) for us, meaning Christians to obey the laws of the land and so therefore smoking or having it in our possession would be breaking the law, no matter how we may try to justify it in our minds. Breaking the law is sin in God eyes.....
I think you're trying to make an issue out of nothing. It worth keeping in mind that laws are put in place by people. Sometimes those laws are beneficial for everyone, and sometimes they only benefit a few. Some are just plain frivolous. Some laws that were instituted in the past but have simply become outdated or no longer serve any useful purpose. There are such pointless old laws on the books today.

Ideally, the solution is to remove or change such laws. Some of these can date back 100 years or more. It's not always a simple matter of finding them, which tells you how incredibly complex the legal system has become, and it's a waste of tax money to bother removing them. They are simply ignored by the citizens as well as the judicial system. You're not likely to be arrested and sentenced for breaking any one them.

Some laws are just plain strange or make no sense at all to us living in the year 2011. Here are a few examples from New York.

- Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers".

- The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

- While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door.

- Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 PM.

Here's a link about dumb laws in the United States. Feel free to choose your state. Have you broken any of these laws of the land? If so, does that make you a sinner? Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Dumb Laws, Stupid Laws: We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:55 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I think you're trying to make an issue out of nothing. It worth keeping in mind that laws are put in place by people. Sometimes those laws are beneficial for everyone, and sometimes they only benefit a few. Some are just plain frivolous. Some laws that were instituted in the past but have simply become outdated or no longer serve any useful purpose. There are such pointless old laws on the books today.

Ideally, the solution is to remove or change such laws. Some of these can date back 100 years or more. It's not always a simple matter of finding them, which tells you how incredibly complex the legal system has become, and it's a waste of tax money to bother removing them. They are simply ignored by the citizens as well as the judicial system. You're not likely to be arrested and sentenced for breaking any one them.

Some laws are just plain strange or make no sense at all to us living in the year 2011. Here are a few examples from New York.

- Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers".

- The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

- While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door.

- Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 PM.

Here's a link about dumb laws in the United States. Feel free to choose your state. Have you broken any of these laws of the land? If so, does that make you a sinner? Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Dumb Laws, Stupid Laws: We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!
Not making an issue out of anything.... yet, it does seem you maybe trying too.
This is a Christian forum and therefore if one is a Christian they will or should I say most listen to the will of God and they want to honor and obey Him.

I don't need to look at your link as I am not interested in "dumb, stupid, and funny laws," thank you. You may not be arrested for such ones you have mention, but one surely will for the use and possession of marijuana.... that's the way it is !!!

So anyway people can justify their ways all they want ! In the end they will answer to God regardless who you are for breaking the law, Gods, and man's !

Have a nice day !!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
God is spirit, and not confined by physical boundaries.

We can play an interesting game by standing with one foot in a jurisdiction that makes holding Vitamin-C illegal [as the FDA is in the process of doing], and our other foot in a jurisdiction where holding Vitamin-C is legal. Now if we hop from one foot to the other, back and forth. One moment in a jurisdiction where we are violating the 'law'; the next moment we are abiding the law.

Is our salvation so fleeting?

Does Our Heavenly Father truly pull our salvation each time that we land in the jurisdiction that outlaws Vitamin-C? But then give it back to us each time we stand in the jurisdiction where Vitamin-C is legal?

God is spirit, and is not confined by the physical. Where we stand, or if we hold Vitamin-C is not a concern with Him. Where is our heart? and do we love God; these are the concerns of God.

David violated the Law of Moses. David and his men ate the shew bread. And yet David and his men remained righteous for it.

Man was not made for the Sabbath; but the Sabbath was made for man.

Bless and curse not.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Warning! if you want to know God.... learn the nature of God! Do not worry about a labeling God... learn the nature and you will know the God.
flee! flee! flee from mammon.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:42 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Not making an issue out of anything.... yet, it does seem you maybe trying too.
This is a Christian forum and therefore if one is a Christian they will or should I say most listen to the will of God and they want to honor and obey Him.

I don't need to look at your link as I am not interested in "dumb, stupid, and funny laws," thank you. You may not be arrested for such ones you have mention, but one surely will for the use and possession of marijuana.... that's the way it is !!!

So anyway people can justify their ways all they want ! In the end they will answer to God regardless who you are for breaking the law, Gods, and man's !

Have a nice day !!
Yes, you're quite correct that possession and/or use can be an arrestable offense in some states, but not all states agree. A growing number of states treat an offense as they would a traffic violation. Some states issue medical permits that allow for use and possession of specified amounts. I live in one of those states. And yes, there are growers who must also obtain permits also for a limited amounts. For anyone with possession but does not have a permit, they are subject to a fine.

From the standpoint of legitimate patients who medically qualify for such permits, and may get relief from marijuana, which do you think is better? Prescribed narcotics which can have serious addictive side effects? Or marijuana? Don't get me wrong, it still requires responsibility.

I've said before, it's not a good idea to indulge then get in the car and start driving around. The same applies for anyone who has taken cold and flu medication that can cause drowsiness. These people should be pulled over for the sake of public safety. But that's a whole different matter.

All I'm saying is that there are valid circumstances where the use of marijuana can be helpful for some people that may benefit from it. While you're trying to say the laws of the land must be upheld, I agree to a point but with the exception of old outdated and pointless laws which when considered as a blanket rule are meaningless. As I previously stated, it would be ideal to change outdated laws, but that's not always practical or cheap to do. If you accept that ALL laws of the land, regardless of whether they're meaningless and outdated or not, must be obeyed to the letter, then a person crossing in the middle of a block instead of using a crosswalk is a sinner. After all, you're the one who said: "Breaking the law is a sin in God's eyes..."

Seems to me it's best not to judge matters without first considering ALL the circumstances. Narcotics like codine and morphine are also against the law to possess and use apart from a medical prescription. I can't speak for all states where medical marijuana is permitted, but in the state where I live, it is legal under state law for prescribed medical use to patients who have applied and obtained a state permit. Of course, state laws do not override federal laws, but orders have been issued at the federal level to cease arresting medical marijuana patients. That said, if a state law prohibits such use, then the state is within its own right to regulate such matters as they see fit.

I hope you have a nice day also.

Last edited by NightBazaar; 01-10-2011 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: omit a double sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity