Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

There are those who falsely teach that a spiritual resurrection took place in or around A.D.70. The teaching of a spiritual resurrection is nothing new. It was a heretical teaching that sprang up shortly after the Lord's physical and literal resurrection.

The book of 2 Timothy was written around A.D. 67. In 2 Timothy 2:18 it says, ''men who have gone astray from the truth saying that the resurrection has already taken place, and thus they upset the faith of some.'' (NASV)

Youngs Literal Translation puts it like this: ''who concerning the truth did swerve, saying the rising again to have already been, and do overthrow the faith of some.'' (Well, literal isn't always better, and often makes for a less smooth reading).

The following paragraph is from the Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary.

18. erred--Greek, ''missed the aim (see 1 Tim.6:21)

is past already--has already taken place. The beginnings of the subsequent Gnostic heresy already existed. They ''wrested'' (2 Peter 3:16) Pauls own words (Romans 6:4; Eph.2:6; Col 2:12) ''to their own destruction,'' as though the resurrection was merely the spiritual raising of souls from the death of sin. Compare 1 Cor. 15:12 where he shows all our hopes of future glory rest on the literal reality of the resurrection. To believe it past (as the Seleucians or Hermians did, according to Augustine [Epistles, 119.55, To Januarious,4]) is to deny it in its true sense.

The Seleucians were an ancient Gnostic sect who denied the resurrection of the body.

Here is a word study of the word Resurrection--(anastasis from ana=up, again+histemi=to cause to stand) literally means ''to stand again'' or ''to cause to stand again'' and most New Testament uses refer to a physical body rising from the dead or coming back to life after having once died.

Resurrection has primary reference to the body. The resurrection is the central defining doctrine and claim of the Gospel. For as Paul wrote ''if Christ has been not raised, then our preaching has been in vain, your faith also is vain.'' (1 Cor. 15:14)

The word study for the word 'resurrection' and the above paragraph are from this website:

P-R-E-C-E-P-T*** A-U-S-T-I-N

Paul said in 1 Cor. 15:16 ''...if Jesus Christ did not rise bodily from the dead, then :
1)the faith of believers is useless.
2)You are still in your sins.
3)Your departed ones are lost
4)Apostles are false teachers
5)We are of all men to be most pitied.

If Christ didn't rise from the dead, there would be no eternal life, no imputed righteousness, no coming Kingdom, and many other things.

Phil. 3:20-21 ''For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself.

So we see that our resurrection body is going to be like Jesus' resurrection body.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we shall be. We know that, when He appears, we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him just as He is.

Now, in Luke 24:38-43 we see the fact that the resurrection body of Christ is physical. v38) And He said to them, ''Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39) See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.'' 40) And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. 41) And while they still could not believe it for joy and were marveling, He said to them, ''Have you anything to eat?'' 42) And they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish; 43) and He took it and ate it before them.''

There is much more that can be said but I just want to point out again, that as 2 Timothy 2:18 makes clear, the Bible does NOT teach a spiritual resurrection either then or now. Such a teaching is blasphemous.Our eternal hope is tied to a physical resurrection.

Here is a link to a Bible doctrine class that talks about the resurrection of Christ, and among other things, explains how the empty tomb is proof of our Lord's resurrection. It is about 53 minutes in length.

http://www.countrybiblechurch.us/Spe...aster_2009.mp3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There are those who falsely teach that a spiritual resurrection took place in or around A.D.70. The teaching of a spiritual resurrection is nothing new. It was a heretical teaching that sprang up shortly after the Lord's physical and literal resurrection.

The book of 2 Timothy was written around A.D. 67. In 2 Timothy 2:18 it says, ''men who have gone astray from the truth saying that the resurrection has already taken place, and thus they upset the faith of some.'' (NASV)
Yet not after 70 AD when that would have mattered in your argument. You say that it could not have happened because this verse yet this verse is before 70 AD so how does that prove anything?

Quote:
Youngs Literal Translation puts it like this: ''who concerning the truth did swerve, saying the rising again to have already been, and do overthrow the faith of some.'' (Well, literal isn't always better, and often makes for a less smooth reading).

is past already--has already taken place. The beginnings of the subsequent Gnostic heresy already existed. They ''wrested'' (2 Peter 3:16) Pauls own words (Romans 6:4; Eph.2:6; Col 2:12) ''to their own destruction,'' as though the resurrection was merely the spiritual raising of souls from the death of sin. Compare 1 Cor. 15:12 where he shows all our hopes of future glory rest on the literal reality of the resurrection. To believe it past (as the Seleucians or Hermians did, according to Augustine [Epistles, 119.55, To Januarious,4]) is to deny it in its true sense.

The Seleucians were an ancient Gnostic sect who denied the resurrection of the body.

Here is a word study of the word Resurrection--(anastasis from ana=up, again+histemi=to cause to stand) literally means ''to stand again'' or ''to cause to stand again'' and most New Testament uses refer to a physical body rising from the dead or coming back to life after having once died.

Resurrection has primary reference to the body. The resurrection is the central defining doctrine and claim of the Gospel. For as Paul wrote ''if Christ has been not raised, then our preaching has been in vain, your faith also is vain.'' (1 Cor. 15:14)
Again.. who is to say it did not happen in 70AD? Because you want to ignore that the body returns to dust and the spirit to God?? There is no way around that! you want a literal and physical resurrection when the bible teaches it is spiritual!

Quote:
The word study for the word 'resurrection' and the above paragraph are from this website:

Paul said in 1 Cor. 15:16 ''...if Jesus Christ did not rise bodily from the dead, then :

If Christ didn't rise from the dead, there would be no eternal life, no imputed righteousness, no coming Kingdom, and many other things.

Phil. 3:20-21 ''For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself.

So we see that our resurrection body is going to be like Jesus' resurrection body.
Jesus' resurrection body was the same body as the one which hung on the cross... He said so himself... Is your resurrection body going to contain the wounds by which you died forevermore? Cuz Jesus' did according to the gospels.

Quote:
1 John 3:2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we shall be. We know that, when He appears, we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him just as He is.

Now, in Luke 24:38-43 we see the fact that the resurrection body of Christ is physical. v38) And He said to them, ''Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39) See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.'' 40) And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. 41) And while they still could not believe it for joy and were marveling, He said to them, ''Have you anything to eat?'' 42) And they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish; 43) and He took it and ate it before them.''
Yes and if Jesus didn't need to eat in his resurrected body what was he trying to prove by eating? Was he playing games? or do resurrected bodies need to eat?

Quote:
There is much more that can be said but I just want to point out again, that as 2 Timothy 2:18 makes clear, the Bible does NOT teach a spiritual resurrection either then or now. Such a teaching is blasphemous.Our eternal hope is tied to a physical resurrection.

Here is a link to a Bible doctrine class that talks about the resurrection of Christ, and among other things, explains how the empty tomb is proof of our Lord's resurrection. It is about 53 minutes in length.

www.countrybiblechurch.us/Specials/2009/041209_Easter_2009.mp3
Our eternal hope is tied to a physical resurrection? So you think that unless we retain these useless bodies we are doomed?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:

www.countrybiblechurch.us/Specials/2009/041209_Easter_2009.mp3
Since we know the "Spiritual" resurrection took place in 70 AD...I don't see any contradiction in this scripture. If you read the passage carefully, you will see that they didn't condemn the nature of the resurrection they said had already past but just the timing of it...which was correct at that time because it hadn't happened yet.

How could the people have been so easily misled into believing that the resurrection had already past if they thought it was a literal bodily resurrection? They couldn't have because they understood it to be a spiritual resurrection.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Since we know the "Spiritual" resurrection took place in 70 AD...I don't see any contradiction in this scripture. If you read the passage carefully, you will see that they didn't condemn the nature of the resurrection they said had already past but just the timing of it...which was correct at that time because it hadn't happened yet.

How could the people have been so easily misled into believing that the resurrection had already past if they thought it was a literal bodily resurrection? They couldn't have because they understood it to be a spiritual resurrection.
2 Tim. 2:18 is not about the timing. It is about the fact that a spiritual resurrection is completely contrary to the Christian faith and that those who teach it 'overthrow the faith of some.'

The evidence of a physical resurrection of both Christ and of believers is overwheming.

Christian Information Exchange 714-531-3834 Fountain Valley, CA Sysop Mike Wallace THE IMP

The sad thing is that there are those who just will not accept the reality of a future physical resurrection and don't know how far off the mark they are.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
2 Tim. 2:18 is not about the timing. It is about the fact that a spiritual resurrection is completely contrary to the Christian faith and that those who teach it 'overthrow the faith of some.'

The evidence of a physical resurrection of both Christ and of believers is overwheming.

Christian Information Exchange 714-531-3834 Fountain Valley, CA Sysop Mike Wallace THE IMP

The sad thing is that there are those who just will not accept the reality of a future physical resurrection and don't know how far off the mark they are.
The really sad thing is there are those who just will not accept the reality that Christ preached a "Spiritual" Kingdom and that the resurrection He spoke of was "spiritual" in nature to go along with that "spiritual" kingdom. You keep on waiting for Jesus to set up that "physical" kingdom and walk the dirt again (which is contrary to scripture) and I'll keep living in the kingdom now. You can't enlarge Gods kingdom until you realize you're already living in it.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:

2 Tim 2:17-18 Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus,who have wandered away from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some.

In researching these two men, it is clear that they took Paul' teachings and made it so the "last days" did not need to occur because the resurrection was already past. Thus those that listened to them were not going to be prepared for what came in the next few years.

If everyone then believed the "true" resurrection was bodily, how could they say it had already happened and deceive anyone? Wouldn't they be able to tell?

It is more likely that they taught that the resurrection already happened and was spiritual like everyone else believed but that it was purely the acceptance of Christ's resurrection that was the resurrection. Now that may have fooled some, but your scenario makes no sense.

How they could all believe a bodily resurrection, but be fooled into thinking it had past when it obviously hadn't?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
The really sad thing is there are those who just will not accept the reality that Christ preached a "Spiritual" Kingdom and that the resurrection He spoke of was "spiritual" in nature to go along with that "spiritual" kingdom. You keep on waiting for Jesus to set up that "physical" kingdom and walk the dirt again (which is contrary to scripture) and I'll keep living in the kingdom now. You can't enlarge Gods kingdom until you realize you're already living in it.
Not to mention that John knew the kingdom had already begun when he wrote Revelations.

Rev. 1:5-6To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Not to mention that John knew the kingdom had already begun when he wrote Revelations.

Rev. 1:5-6To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.
Like the Jews of Jesus day...there are some who are waiting for a "physical" kingdom even though Jesus expressly told them they would NEVER SEE IT...for the Kingdom of God is within us. They are just like the energizer bunny...they will keep waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting

I sorely wish people would quit "waiting" and get their behinds moving in enlarging Gods Kingdom.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Like the Jews of Jesus day...there are some who are waiting for a "physical" kingdom even though Jesus expressly told them they would NEVER SEE IT...for the Kingdom of God is within us. They are just like the energizer bunny...they will keep waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting

I sorely wish people would quit "waiting" and get their behinds moving in enlarging Gods Kingdom.
When Christ returns, He will establish the kingdom, and will rule with a rod of iron (Rev. 2:27) from David's throne in Jerusalem. Preterists deny this, and so call God a liar.

The Kingdom of God has both a spiritual aspect, and a physical political aspect. The physical political aspect is the Millennial Kingdom. Rev. 20, Psa. 72; Isa. 11; Zech 14, are among those passages that refer to the Millennium.

No right minded person can think that any of this has happened yet.

The Bible makes it clear to anyone except those who will not accept the truth, that a spiritual resurrection is heresy.

Now, those who wish to ignore the truth will continue to do so. But the word of God presents the truth, and some will accept it without distorting it. Those who choose to continue in error will simply be in for a rude awakening either at the point of death, or at the rapture of the Church. Whichever comes first.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
When Christ returns, He will establish the kingdom, and will rule with a rod of iron (Rev. 2:27) from David's throne in Jerusalem. Preterists deny this, and so call God a liar.

The Kingdom of God has both a spiritual aspect, and a physical political aspect. The physical political aspect is the Millennial Kingdom. Rev. 20, Psa. 72; Isa. 11; Zech 14, are among those passages that refer to the Millennium.

No right minded person can think that any of this has happened yet.

The Bible makes it clear to anyone except those who will not accept the truth, that a spiritual resurrection is heresy.

Now, those who wish to ignore the truth will continue to do so. But the word of God presents the truth, and some will accept it without distorting it. Those who choose to continue in error will simply be in for a rude awakening either at the point of death, or at the rapture of the Church. Whichever comes first.
Luke:17:20 Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, “The kingdom of God does not come with observation; 21 nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.”

What don't you understand about Jesus clear and precise literal words?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity