U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,212,493 times
Reputation: 892

Advertisements

I wonder How Christians would react if some Jewish temple or some Islamic mosque posted a sign that said Christianity is of the devil. Or some Islamic or Jewish kids went to school wearing Christianity is of the devil T-shirts. They would become outraged no doubt.

Ever heard of the saying ... "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"? (Mar 12:9)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 PM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,405 posts, read 2,113,158 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Anyway this thread is not about free speech, this is about Christians who claim to be so loving yet take the world's side in their condemnation of their fellow brothers and sisters with no scriptural support doing so.
I am not so sure that your assessment of taking the worlds side in this regard is correct . . . . it is more like putting into example . . . . NOT taking an eye for an eye . . . turning the other cheek . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,468,646 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I wonder How Christians would react if some Jewish temple or some Islamic mosque posted a sign that said Christianity is of the devil. Or some Islamic or Jewish kids went to school wearing Christianity is of the devil T-shirts. They would become outraged no doubt.

Ever heard of the saying ... "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"? (Mar 12:9)
Fair enough so what is hateful to you then you shouldn't do it to others. The problem is you are assuming to know what hateful is and that they have hate in their heart?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-19-2009 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,468,646 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I am not so sure that your assessment of taking the worlds side in this regard is correct . . . . it is more like putting into example . . . . NOT taking an eye for an eye . . . turning the other cheek . . .
No it is about scripture. when Christians rebuke other Christians, you better have scripture to support or else what authority do you base on what they are doing, is wrong? Furthermore Christians taking the world's side using carnal thinking and not scripture.

I never said, I agree with what they are doing but I am loving, tolerant and humble enough to say, that I don't know if they are wrong and that is their way (one of many) of doing it.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-19-2009 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,405 posts, read 2,113,158 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
No it is about scripture. when Christians rebuke other Christians, you better have scripture to support or else what authority do you base on what they are doing, is wrong? Furthermore Christians taking the world's side using carnal thinking and not scripture.
Yes, I believe that is true, that when we rebuke another Christian, as in the case for example of adultery, we need to back it up with scripture.

My problem . . . is that those who do the rebuking, may need to be rebuked as well . . . Rebuke is a strong word . . . anyone who rebukes another, should make sure they are not needing a good rebuking.

I spoke with a friend of mine, who is a Christian, and brought up some scripture in reference to something . . . but I did it with love, and because she was speaking to me about something . . .

When I was at the Baptist Church . . . someone saw me going into a liquor store . . . and when I dropped my kids off at Bible school . . there was 3 ladies ready to "rebuke" me . . . . I do not consider Bailey's Irish Creme to be a sin . . . . that needed rebuking . . . nor am I a drunk or alcholic . . . and those who do "rebuking" usually just embarass themselves with their anger and condemnation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:44 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,072,052 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
you better have scripture to support or else what authority do you base on what they are doing, is wrong?
Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God

You can go with "don't offend" for stumble too..

So don't offend anyone concerning their faith..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,319 posts, read 20,050,950 times
Reputation: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Yes, I believe that is true, that when we rebuke another Christian, as in the case for example of adultery, we need to back it up with scripture.

My problem . . . is that those who do the rebuking, may need to be rebuked as well . . . Rebuke is a strong word . . . anyone who rebukes another, should make sure they are not needing a good rebuking.

I spoke with a friend of mine, who is a Christian, and brought up some scripture in reference to something . . . but I did it with love, and because she was speaking to me about something . . .

When I was at the Baptist Church . . . someone saw me going into a liquor store . . . and when I dropped my kids off at Bible school . . there was 3 ladies ready to "rebuke" me . . . . I do not consider Bailey's Irish Creme to be a sin . . . . that needed rebuking . . . nor am I a drunk or alcholic . . . and those who do "rebuking" usually just embarass themselves with their anger and condemnation.
I'm quite partial to Irish Bailey's , but drinking one bottle of it doesn't get you drunk in my experience.

I remember running up and down aisles in a supermarket in England when i first believed, trying to avoid this woman who i knew would judge me for having a 24 pack in my trolley, but the truth is i tried to avoid her as not to offend her , i got away with it lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,212,493 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Fair enough so what is hateful to you then you shouldn't do it to others. The problem is you are assuming to know what hateful is and that they have hate in their heart?
I am assuming nothing. How would you feel if you saw a sign in your neighborhood that said Christianity is of the devil? I know how i would feel about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM
 
37,644 posts, read 25,331,652 times
Reputation: 5864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This is a fundamentalist church that have a way of spreading truth in a manner that I myself don't necessarily agree with but it doesn't mean what they are doing is wrong either so how do I handle this rather than calling them pharisee or legalist? (you know who you are) I look at scripture and I find no sin being committed here- one can argue maybe "revilers" but a sign on a lawn imo is not the same. These are obviously my brothers and sisters in Christ who I must recognize have a different way of doing things regardless if I think their way is wrong because again without scripture to support you how can you say it's a sin.
::Sigh:: It is like drilling in cement. The fact that YOU believe something to be the truth, Fundy . . . does NOT make it truth (as you would find out rapidly in a court of law were you to spread some of your truth about someone that could NOT be established to be true by accepted standards. Any OTHER KIND OF TRUTH . . . like YOUR OPINION that it is truth . . . is NOT protection or permission for inimical acts or "spreading" in ways that cause harm to others, PERIOD!
YOUR certainty does NOT MAKE IT TRUE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,468,646 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Yes, I believe that is true, that when we rebuke another Christian, as in the case for example of adultery, we need to back it up with scripture.

My problem . . . is that those who do the rebuking, may need to be rebuked as well . . . Rebuke is a strong word . . . anyone who rebukes another, should make sure they are not needing a good rebuking.

I spoke with a friend of mine, who is a Christian, and brought up some scripture in reference to something . . . but I did it with love, and because she was speaking to me about something . . .

When I was at the Baptist Church . . . someone saw me going into a liquor store . . . and when I dropped my kids off at Bible school . . there was 3 ladies ready to "rebuke" me . . . . I do not consider Bailey's Irish Creme to be a sin . . . . that needed rebuking . . . nor am I a drunk or alcholic . . . and those who do "rebuking" usually just embarass themselves with their anger and condemnation.
That's true....We should show good spiritual discernment and follow biblical application when we do rebuke one another. Unfortunately many in here rebuke us "unloving" Christians" because we don't fit their definition of what a loving Christians says or does without scriptural support. They claim to so tolerant and loving yet can be nasty in their name calling but justify it by saying, we are not showing love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top