U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,479,258 times
Reputation: 746

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
I agree with you as to what it should be.

The problem is an age old problem, and that is being humanistic.

Now, unless God set standards for our humanistic free ways, than we would all go amok.

Regulation is good for those who are weak in responsibility and therefore needed as a standard.

Now a fair question is what is a fair standard?

Those agreed upon by the general public as a standard and voted on.

Those who do not comply must face the consequences of discipline.

Political correctness is an attempt to override the standard under the name of freedom.

Blessings, AJ
I understand but free speech is still free speech. The standards you speak of to censor one group can be later used to censor you

and how does fallen man do this? One can go amok setting standards also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,472 posts, read 21,259,602 times
Reputation: 17697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
So just how loving, tolerant and understanding do you think you are?
Loving and tolerant enough to let a lot of things written here in the name of Christianity to go in one ear and out the other
__________________
Moderator of:
Non Romantic Relationships
Parenting, and sub-forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 04:40 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,077,343 times
Reputation: 1461
thought the scripture said not to offend..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Redding, Ca
1,240 posts, read 1,025,913 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I understand but free speech is still free speech. The standards you speak of to censor one group can be later used to censor you

and how does fallen man do this? One can go amok setting standards also.
True, standards can go amok to.
Hence; regulation needed.

We know that there are radicals in religion that in the name of religion will defy any standard based on their dogmatic beliefs.

If we do not set standards to regulate anything, then all things are go regardless of who it may offend, hurt or destroy.

blessings, AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 PM
 
7,792 posts, read 10,474,209 times
Reputation: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Too often in this room I see Christians siding with unbelievers, atheist in a worldy, carnal fashion against their own brothers and sisters in Christ. How is that love? How are you showing love? You side with what God's word refers to as "children of the devil" against "Children of God"; your own brothers and sisters and then claim it is in the name of Christianity and tolerance. Well from a biblical perspective you are being neither since you want to impose your view of what love is, rebuking another's way and even deeming it unchristian when you have absolutely no scripture to show it as unloving or a sin, and if it is not a sin what authority do you have to condemn or criticize a fellow brother or sister of Christ? One must conclude, is it pride, a lack of sensitivity or your carnal state has fooled you into thinking you are full of love by putting down what you deem "unloving"?

So just how loving, tolerant and understanding do you think you are?
When I read yet another reference to my being a "child of the devil" I had to ask myself the very same question you did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist

How is that love? How are you showing love?

I'm glad that what I read in the bible is far more accepting of me than what it is I have read here.


Take gentle Christian care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM
 
37,666 posts, read 25,376,756 times
Reputation: 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Too often in this room I see Christians siding with unbelievers, atheist in a worldy, carnal fashion against their own brothers and sisters in Christ. How is that love? How are you showing love? You side with what God's word refers to as "children of the devil" against "Children of God"; your own brothers and sisters and then claim it is in the name of Christianity and tolerance. Well from a biblical perspective you are being neither since you want to impose your view of what love is, rebuking another's way and even deeming it unchristian when you have absolutely no scripture to show it as unloving or a sin, and if it is not a sin what authority do you have to condemn or criticize a fellow brother or sister of Christ? One must conclude, is it pride, a lack of sensitivity or your carnal state has fooled you into thinking you are full of love by putting down what you deem "unloving"?
CHRISTians determine who are our brothers and sisters "by their fruits" as measured by the love that Christ displayed for ALL of us . . . NOT by their professed beliefs or allegiances to human institutions. The ONLY thing those you accuse are guilty of is disagreeing with YOUR beliefs. There is no lasciviousness, licentiousness, promotion of sin or evil or lust or any of the things you associate with those who DISAGREE WITH YOU. ALL that has been expressed in opposition to YOU and your ilk has been the unconditional LOVE of Jesus for you and everyone else . . . which is unambiguous and undeniable. You presume too much (as do Verna and all the fundies) when you pronounce ANYONE to be a "child of the devil." Such self-righteous hubris and prideful attitudes resemble that of Torquemada or the "witch-burners" of old . . . following the heinous "precepts and doctrines of men" in superstitious ignorance and utter lack of humanity. There is no love or tolerance in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 05:58 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,357 posts, read 20,088,142 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
CHRISTians determine who are our brothers and sisters "by their fruits" as measured by the love that Christ displayed for ALL of us . . . NOT by their professed beliefs or allegiances to human institutions. The ONLY thing those you accuse are guilty of is disagreeing with YOUR beliefs. There is no lasciviousness, licentiousness, promotion of sin or evil or lust or any of the things you associate with those who DISAGREE WITH YOU. ALL that has been expressed in opposition to YOU and your ilk has been the unconditional LOVE of Jesus for you and everyone else . . . which is unambiguous and undeniable. You presume too much (as do Verna and all the fundies) when you pronounce ANYONE to be a "child of the devil." Such self-righteous hubris and prideful attitudes resemble that of Torquemada or the "witch-burners" of old . . . following the heinous "precepts and doctrines of men" in superstitious ignorance and utter lack of humanity. There is no love or tolerance in them.
What beats me about the Fundamentalists is rather than judging righteously, they judge by the very same thing they at the least were themselves.
If only they could just see that the scriptures are a testimony of the nature and character of God and expressed through His son Jesus,if only.

But what have they done ? The very same thing the Jews did with the Torah , worshipped the letter of it instead of discerning by the Spirit the revelation of the nature and character of God Himself.

They have built up to many stumbling blocks in their own minds because they cannot get beyond what they have mis interpreted of the nature and character of God in the Old Testament.

When Jesus said if you have seen me you have seen the Father , obviously He did not mean what He looked like in the flesh, He was referring to the nature and Character of God, this is what the Pharisees's struggled with and what the Fundamentalists struggle with today.

1In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. 3The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,133,039 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
CHRISTians determine who are our brothers and sisters "by their fruits" as measured by the love that Christ displayed for ALL of us . . . NOT by their professed beliefs or allegiances to human institutions. The ONLY thing those you accuse are guilty of is disagreeing with YOUR beliefs. There is no lasciviousness, licentiousness, promotion of sin or evil or lust or any of the things you associate with those who DISAGREE WITH YOU. ALL that has been expressed in opposition to YOU and your ilk has been the unconditional LOVE of Jesus for you and everyone else . . . which is unambiguous and undeniable. You presume too much (as do Verna and all the fundies) when you pronounce ANYONE to be a "child of the devil." Such self-righteous hubris and prideful attitudes resemble that of Torquemada or the "witch-burners" of old . . . following the heinous "precepts and doctrines of men" in superstitious ignorance and utter lack of humanity. There is no love or tolerance in them.
I have to give props where props are due....Awesome post. Hopefully some will take it to heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 3,824,417 times
Reputation: 701
Default What if they are right Fundementalist?

Is it wrong for the Christian to side with the atheist (non believer) if the atheist is actually right? How would it be "love" to side with the Christian brother or sister if said brother or sister is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,219,845 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Is it wrong for the Christian to side with the atheist (non believer) if the atheist is actually right? How would it be "love" to side with the Christian brother or sister if said brother or sister is wrong?
Indeed, that would be bearing false witness and respecting of persons ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top