U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 PM

4,368 posts, read 4,093,642 times

Advertisements

Must be a full moon tonight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,698,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Some are good people, I know, but I grew up in the Catholic Church and was an altar boy for a number of years so I got a first-hand look at how they live. Sad, sad, sad.

thrillo, tell me something new and surprise me. I've heard this all my 29 years. My very own younger brother told me, point blank range, "the catholicism you seek exists in your mind, it does NOT exist in the Vatican or the holy orders"

I've seen things myself.

My father worked for the catholic church in his spare time. I was an altar boy. Except that they don't take grown-up boys to the altar anymore, or I would still be in that red/white apron.

The priests and nuns practised hindu garbage, like casteism. They bifurcated the convents into two, based on convenience. Immaculate conception order would house the upper castes. Louis de Conzaga orders would house the darker skinned ones and the explicit lower castes.

Priests had concubines.

Nuns had their own.

Nuns running girls schools would send orphan girls (who happen to be pretty) to the state governor, ministers etc., for "amusement". In turn, they would shower them back with grants and funds, one notch above what goes to hindu and muslim schools.

If I continue, I can write a book. I used to ask my father why he keeps working in the church in his spare time, like a dumbo. I mean a man of his calibre, having a full time career and still serving for these priests and nuns, during retreats, christmases and the like. Besides, with the adequate knowledge he has, he could actually testify against them. He simply said the "institution", the "fellowship of the apostles", the legacy of the fishermen who swarmed Christ was much larger than these erring humans.

Taking it out on the vermin would actually bring the fellowship down as a whole, in a country of hindu/muslim majority, with too many enemies happy to see the church fail. The church in my home country was founded over the blood stains of Saint Thomas the Apostle. Truly it must mean something larger than these men and women.

It's truly miraculous I am still a devout catholic, after having seen the lowest of the lows of the church around me. I actually have every reason to walk out. But I'm not going to.

You can write me off as an idealist. But there's no christianity in the room where offence and retaliation are measured in terms of abuse, lawsuits and settlements. Jesus simply left the building, be it the Vatican or the victims who might seem to think a couple million dollars can truly undo the irreparable damage done to their personal lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity