U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,167 posts, read 19,976,834 times
Reputation: 2107

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Invalid argument. One need not read it when those who have read it have presented commentary and enough quotes from the book to know what the purpose of the book is--to present God in a false light.

.
Is this your approach to the Bible ? Depending on what others said about it ?.

Reading your posts it seems you parrot everything you have read by others who have studied the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
3,927 posts, read 7,727,088 times
Reputation: 11390
bottom line for me is simple.

I like to find things out on my own, not relying on other people's perception.

If something is bad for me, believe me, God will let me know it! He has done so over and over again. When I asked Christ to be my Savior, surrendered to Him, and the Holy Spirit moved in me, things in my life changed. I no longer thought the same, did the same things, and looked at life with a reborn spirit beause I was looking at life and experiencing life thru the Spirit.

Christ convicts me when I do something wrong, and even when I do things right if I allow pride to enter. I test things against the Word as instructed.

I will take the Holy Ghosts convictions on something any day over something some human wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,286,831 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Christ died for the sins of the world. That's universal reconciliation. But universal reconciliation is not universal salvation. For reconciliation to be applied to a person, a person has to believe in Christ for salvation. Then and only then is a person saved. Failure to believe in Christ means eternal condemnation to the lake of fire.
I agree Mike....wait a minute...we agree

I thought it was a good fiction story...like Peter Pan and the Lord of the Rings..there is truth in it, but it is not doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 02:01 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,647,071 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Is this your approach to the Bible ? Depending on what others said about it ?.

Reading your posts it seems you parrot everything you have read by others who have studied the bible.
Nope! I do my own studying in conjunction with the studies of well prepared pastor/teachers who have been trained for years in the orginal languages and in the isogogical, categorical and exegetical approach to the word of God. If I were arrogant enough to think that I could study the Bible strictly on my own, I woud end with the same screwy interpretations as some Moderator cut: insulting and inappropriate on this forum. But if that makes me a parrot, then, SQUAWK, SQUAWK ,SQUAWK!!! Now go have a cookie.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-21-2009 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: You know that insulting other posters [calling them idiots] is against the tos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,167 posts, read 19,976,834 times
Reputation: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Nope! I do my own studying in conjunction with the studies of well prepared pastor/teachers who have been trained for years in the orginal languages and in the isogogical, categorical and exegetical approach to the word of God. If I were arrogant enough to think that I could study the Bible strictly on my own, I woud end with the same screwy interpretations as some Moderator cut: insulting and inappropriate on this forum. But if that makes me a parrot, then, SQUAWK, SQUAWK ,SQUAWK!!! Now go have a cookie.
Why make a judgement on hearsay when you can go to the source and discover yourself whether it be of God or not ?

John 4 verse 29

'Come see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?'

Or do you believe nothing good can come outside your boxed world of doctrine and tradition ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 03:26 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,647,071 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Why make a judgement on hearsay when you can go to the source and discover yourself whether it be of God or not ?

John 4 verse 29

'Come see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?'

Or do you believe nothing good can come outside your boxed world of doctrine and tradition ?.
What you refuse to recognize is that God has established the spiritual gift of pastor/teacher for the purpose of communicating Bible doctrine, and that without that spiritual gift, you simply cannot dig out the doctrines that are in the Bible. You cannot grow up spiritually without being under the teaching of a Prepared pastor. Eph. 4:11-16. And since you won't accept that fact, well...that's the other side of the coin. On the one hand, most pastors don't fulfull their responsibility to God to teach doctrine to their congregation, and on the other hand, most Christians can't be bothered to learn from those pastors who do teach accurate doctrine. And so, we have this country in the state its in today.

Oh! You were referring to the book. Okay, well as I said, it is not necessary to read the entire book once you get the idea from enough of the quotes of what it is about. But if you want to waste your time reading trash, go for it.

Now you can criticize me if you wish, and then you can go have a cookie. Okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 03:28 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,683,225 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Nope! I do my own studying in conjunction with the studies of well prepared pastor/teachers who have been trained for years in the orginal languages and in the isogogical, categorical and exegetical approach to the word of God.
All Religious points of view have people with credentials that appear to give them the authority to teach others. But, the idea that this presents the truth of any doctrine is false.


Quote:
If I were arrogant enough to think that I could study the Bible strictly on my own, I woud end with the same screwy interpretations as some Moderator cut: insulting and inappropriate on this forum. But if that makes me a parrot, then, SQUAWK, SQUAWK ,SQUAWK!!! Now go have a cookie.
The assertion of arrogance is a fallacy, no one is arrogant because they want to read and learn something for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
3,927 posts, read 7,727,088 times
Reputation: 11390
excuse me, but Jesus is the only mediator we need to reach God. If you feel you have to go to a person to reach His Word, then my friend that is idolatry pure and simple.

We can respect the teaching of others and yes, even learn from others, but the Bible was written for us to grow in the Word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,118,147 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
What you refuse to recognize is that God has established the spiritual gift of pastor/teacher for the purpose of communicating Bible doctrine, and that without that spiritual gift, you simply cannot dig out the doctrines that are in the Bible. You cannot grow up spiritually without being under the teaching of a Prepared pastor. Eph. 4:11-16. And since you won't accept that fact, well...that's the other side of the coin. On the one hand, most pastors don't fulfull their responsibility to God to teach doctrine to their congregation, and on the other hand, most Christians can't be bothered to learn from those pastors who do teach accurate doctrine. And so, we have this country in the state its in today.
R U Frakkin kidding me? I hear echos of the Church of Rome coming out of your mouth Mike. That is a blasphemous falacy...we can and should learn directly from God and anyone who espouses that they know more than God or can teach me better than God Himself...I'd run and run as far away as I could. You're beginning to scare me Mike...it's almost cultish some of the things you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,286,831 times
Reputation: 420
Mike....I never had a proper pastor.....my pastor is Jesus Christ. Plus..your tone is not what Christ is to expect of you in a community of believers. I know it's tough when the fire is thrown at you, but you must remain humble and treat others with respect and love. Your love can be assertive, but it must never cross the line, as you have apparently done countless times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top