U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM

20,351 posts, read 15,730,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What is it about ?
Presenting a different Jesus. Distorting the nature of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,130,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Truth is absolute. It is not relative. There is not one truth for one person, and a different truth for someone else. There is the revealed truth of God, and you either orient to that truth or you don't. It is your responsiblity to adjust to the reality of God's revealed truth, for the word of God will not change to accomodate your beliefs.

You have that completely backwards. It is the Gospel that is the milk, along with basic doctrine. The solid food is found in the more advanced doctrines of the Epistles.

1 Cor. 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to babes in Christ. 2) I gave yu milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, 3) for you are still fleshly.

Once a person has heard the Gospel and has believed in Christ then it is time to begin learning the doctrines that pertain to the Church age. The doctrines that Paul teaches in the Epistles.

You do not know what you are talking about. You have no understanding of the Scriptures, and you have no idea of just how ridiculous preteristic beliefs are. Both preterists and unversalists share in common a gross distortion of the word of God and a lack of ability to see that they are distorting the word of God. If you persist in the alexandria school of thought, and continue to allergorize the scriptures, and ignore the principle that the Bible is to be taken literally except where a passage is obviously meant to be symbolic; if you continue to reject a dispensational approach to the Bible, you will never be able to understand the word of God. And if you do not place yourself under the teaching of a prepared pastor/teacher, and try to learn the word of God on your own, you will never advance in the spiritual life. Or do you not believe Eph. 4:11-16?

There is no excuse for rejecting the truth. And in doing so, a person will reap what they sow. Final comment, final reply.
Like I said previously....THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND.....the pit of "literalism" is waiting for you

Old 10-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
The Shack is a work of fiction. I found much in it that I don't agree with doctrinally but I still enjoyed it. Above everything, I think you come away with the overwhelming feeling that God loves us far more than we realize. And what is so bad about that?
Mike hasn't found that "Truth" yet so he really can't make a sound comment on it. There is so much more to God and His Word that it just boggles the mind...and that truth can be found if one wants to open their "spiritual" eyes and see what is hidden beneath the "literal" words of God.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:45 AM

13,470 posts, read 21,252,977 times
The Shack is a beautiful work of fiction which I think which did a good job of answering the question about the trinity and the pure, unconditional love of God..I loved the book and it is in my bookcase alongside of another great fiction writer, Dan Brown..Wow, he is good

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-20-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,741,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I have seen enough quotes from the book to not have to read the book to know what it is about. Simple.

I never read any of the Left Behind series. Don't make assumptions.

You know, I know and admire many people who know quite a bit on many topics....yet....

Whenever I have to speak to people on something or want to write on something, I do my own research. That way, if I make a mistake, I can own it. Also, I want to be absolutely sure of the topic I am in charge of, and the only way to do that is by doing the legwork beforehand.

I never take anyones word 100% on anything, unless I am directly quoting them and will give them the credit for their words.

Just reading others quotes on a subject is not enough. Sure, it lets me know their opinion of this or that, but I want to form my own opinion, not rely on others. I actually believe enough in myself to know that I am quite capable of researching and reading to form my own opinion, in which I know I can rely on. Am I ever wrong? Sure, but then I can go back and start again.

There was a book on display in the bookstore on the Beatles. I've read quotes from people about that book, does that mean that I believe exactly as they do? No. If I were going to give a report about that book, I would go get the book, do my own research and form my own opinion and conclusions before I ever wrote that report. That way, when questioned, I could honestly defend my case because I had put forth the time and effort to find out for myself before presenting it to the public.

In a job environment, employers would not want to have employees that rely on others research, instead of taking the time to find out for themselves.

To be taken seriously, one must put in the time to know his/her subject and be able to present his/her view/findings with knowledgable answers and be able to go in depth if the need arises.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
You know, I know and admire many people who know quite a bit on many topics....yet....

Whenever I have to speak to people on something or want to write on something, I do my own research. That way, if I make a mistake, I can own it. Also, I want to be absolutely sure of the topic I am in charge of, and the only way to do that is by doing the legwork beforehand.

I never take anyones word 100% on anything, unless I am directly quoting them and will give them the credit for their words.

Just reading others quotes on a subject is not enough. Sure, it lets me know their opinion of this or that, but I want to form my own opinion, not rely on others. I actually believe enough in myself to know that I am quite capable of researching and reading to form my own opinion, in which I know I can rely on. Am I ever wrong? Sure, but then I can go back and start again.

There was a book on display in the bookstore on the Beatles. I've read quotes from people about that book, does that mean that I believe exactly as they do? No. If I were going to give a report about that book, I would go get the book, do my own research and form my own opinion and conclusions before I ever wrote that report. That way, when questioned, I could honestly defend my case because I had put forth the time and effort to find out for myself before presenting it to the public.

In a job environment, employers would not want to have employees that rely on others research, instead of taking the time to find out for themselves.

To be taken seriously, one must put in the time to know his/her subject and be able to present his/her view/findings with knowledgable answers and be able to go in depth if the need arises.
Very Well Said

BTW....opinions are like...butts....everybody has one and some are bigger than others

Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,474,473 times
Quote:

Whenever I have to speak to people on something or want to write on something, I do my own research........
Where will it end. Does one have to read the entire book to see it is full of heresies? Ok let's say we read the entire book, what then? well then did you meet the author? say, we met the author, what then? well did you know his history/ beliefs? So we know his history/ beliefs, what then? well Have you been to his church? It will never end.

I think it is pretty safe to say that one can tell if a book if full of heresies without reading the entire book.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,075,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Where will it end. Does one have to read the entire book to see it is full of heresies? Ok let's say we read the entire book, what then? well then did you meet the author? say, we met the author, what then? well did you know his history/ beliefs? So we know his history/ beliefs, what then? well Have you been to his church? It will never end.

I think it is pretty safe to say that one can tell if a book if full of heresies without reading the entire book.
~yawn~

another "hate it didn't read it" opinion..

~yawn~

Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM

20,351 posts, read 15,730,497 times
Quote:

The Shacks 'Jesus'
''God ,who is the ground of all being, dwells in,around, and through all things.''

This is pantheism and is unscriptural.

The Shacks 'Jesus'

Those who love me come from every system that exists. They were Buddhists or Mormons, Baptists or Muslims...I have no desire to make them Christian, but I do want to join them in their transformation into sons and daughters of my papa, into my brothers and sisters.

A Christian is someone who believes in Christ for salvation. But the 'Jesus 'presented in the Shack doesn't recognize that.

The Shack presents a 'female God'. Blasphemous. God is presented in the Bible as Father.

The Shack: ''You don't need me at all to create your list of good and evil.''

Mocking God!!!

And you think the entire book has to be read to discern its true purpose?

Are you willing to overlook the blasphemous distortions of God presented in this book because you get some feel good experience from reading it? And that anyone would even have a feel good experience from a book that mocks God, speaks volumes.

This book is Satanic to the core.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 PM

30,335 posts, read 20,071,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
I think you come away with the overwhelming feeling that God loves us far more than we realize. And what is so bad about that?
Good news sticks in the throat for some unfortunately , that's what is bad about it.

Last edited by pcamps; 10-20-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity