U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well he's never read the book , so what does he care ?
Beats me....I enjoyed the book tremendously and the comfort it gave me was nothing short of the Hand of God...it was just what I needed at a time when I needed it the most...that is called Gods Divine Providence. God speaks to me through all kinds of things, i.e, books, movies, music, other people, nature....some just insist on keeping God in a little box and never let Him out.

It's funny the way some take a work of "FICTION" (a made up story) and try to choke everyone with their views of what's right and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 01:43 PM

29 posts, read 45,005 times
The Shack gets a mixed review from Jason Pratt of the Evangelical Universalist website. Here is his review:

Jason Pratt's thoughts on The Shack

This is ostensibly a critique of De Young's critique of The Shack. But it's really a commentary on 23 of the most controversial lines from The Shack.

Food for thought.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:58 PM

987 posts, read 878,326 times
Use in the Bible: In the Old Testament El Shaddai occurs 7 times. El Shaddai is first used in Gen 17:1. (emphasis mine)

Variant spellings: None

TWOT Reference: 2333

Strong's Reference: 7706

El Shaddai in the Septuagint: theou saddai — God Shaddai; pantokratôr (for Shaddai) — the Almighty

Meaning and Derivation: El is another name that is translated as "God" and can be used in conjunction with other words to designate various aspects of God's character. Another word much like Shaddai, and from which many believe it derived, is shad meaning "breast" in Hebrew (some other scholars believe that the name is derived from an Akkadian word Šadu, meaning "mountain," suggesting strength and power). This refers to God completely nourishing, satisfying, and supplying His people with all their needs as a mother would her child. Connected with the word for God, El, this denotes a God who freely gives nourishment and blessing, He is our sustainer.

Further references of the name El Shaddai in the Old Testament: Gen 17:1; Gen 28:3; Gen 35:11; Gen 43:14; Gen 48:3

Return to Top

I copied and pasted the above from the Blue Letter Bible Study Tools on the names of God

So there are some feminine aspects to God. And how would that demean Him? As noted, God is Spirit and Truth and is neither male nor female. But He chose to reveal Himself through a man, Jesus Christ. What would be so horrible in portraying Him as a woman in a WORK OF FICTION??? There are many Godly aspects that are more dominant in the female of the species. Only a MAN would be outraged at God presented as such, imo.

I generally think of God as Father. But God contains within Himself ALL of the wonderful aspects of both sexes.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
dear friend please post your ideas not just links to jerry falwell type poorly written articles.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 15,638,239 times
Now here are more deceptive teachings of ''The Shack."

1)God can't take away pain. (p92)

2)If God doesn't have an object of love, then She is not capable of loving at all. (p102)

3)God was on the cross and died with Jesus (p103)

4)God doesn't punish sin, sin is its own punishment. It is God's joy to cure it. (p 120)

More heresy.

And there are people who consider themselves to be Christians who actually defend this book.

Christians should be defending the word of God. They should not be defending heresy.

Here is yet another link:

Pulpit Pimps » Blog Archive » Have You Read “The Shack” - I Have. Unfortunately (http://www.pulpit-pimps.org/?p=1163 - broken link)

Moderator cut: attacking

And going back to the blasphemy of calling God 'she', The Bible always, always addresses God as 'He' and 'Father'. Never as 'she' and never as ' mother'. That is straight from pagan religions.

This kind of thinking, these kinds of beliefs go back to that recent Barna
survey concerning so called Christians in this country, and how they pick and choose from the Bible what they want to believe and then reject the rest.

Most so called Christians have a seriously skewed idea of who and what God is.

Defending a book like this is attacking God. If you are a Christian, you had better decide whose side you are on. Moderator cut: attacking/insulting

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-20-2009 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Sorry the things I edited out were too insulting /attacking

Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,197,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Now here are more deceptive teachings of ''The Shack."

1)God can't take away pain. (p92)

2)If God doesn't have an object of love, then She is not capable of loving at all. (p102)

3)God was on the cross and died with Jesus (p103)

4)God doesn't punish sin, sin is its own punishment. It is God's joy to cure it. (p 120)

More heresy.

And there are people who consider themselves to be Christians who actually defend this book.

Christians should be defending the word of God. They should not be defending heresy.

Here is yet another link:

Pulpit Pimps » Blog Archive » Have You Read “The Shack” - I Have. Unfortunately (http://www.pulpit-pimps.org/?p=1163 - broken link)

And going back to the blasphemy of calling God 'she', The Bible always, always addresses God as 'He' and 'Father'. Never as 'she' and never as ' mother'. That is straight from pagan religions.

This kind of thinking, these kinds of beliefs go back to that recent Barna
survey concerning so called Christians in this country, and how they pick and choose from the Bible what they want to believe and then reject the rest.

Most so called Christians have a seriously skewed idea of who and what God is.

Defending a book like this is attacking God. If you are a Christian, you had better decide whose side you are on, because Christians can be enemies of the Cross,.
The thing is i think most people(fundamentalists) don't realize the guy who wrote the shack is not a theologian or trying to be one. And just because he may or may not be on track where some of his ideas are concerned, doesn't mean he is wrong about everything.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-20-2009 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The thing is i think most people(fundamentalists) don't realize the guy who wrote the shack is not a theologian or trying to be one. And just because he may or may not be on track where some of his ideas are concerned, doesn't mean he is wrong about everything.
Satan as the ruler of this world (John 12:31; 14:31; 16:11) has many ways of presenting his deceptions. Literature, art, music, movies, philosophy, religion, science, goverment, education...etc. I did not just say that they are all satanic. I said that Satan can use these things as a way of deceiving the world.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,197,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Satan as the ruler of this world (John 12:31; 14:31; 16:11) has many ways of presenting his deceptions. Literature, art, music, movies, philosophy, religion, science, goverment, education...etc. I did not just say that they are all satanic. I said that Satan can use these things as a way of deceiving the world.
Just as he(Satan) has and still does use Christianity to deceive the world.

He did use Christianity to deceive the western world during the dark ages when the inquisitions(torturing and burning alive men women and children alike) ran amok, and the wars of the crusades were fought in the name of God dealing death on countless innocents throughout the western world. Or the destruction of ancient technologies(aqueducts and roads), art and culture, and the Sciences etc. Note that the dark ages started right about the time that the doctrine of eternal torture was made orthodoxy by the roman Catholic church ... Coincidence? I think not.

And now he continues to use Christianity to deceive the nations using the same pagan doctrines that he used in the dark ages. Not to mention many others like the message of prosperity etc. ...

I think that whatever the shack represents, if it be truly used by Satan for whatever means, pales in comparison to what traditional orthodox and fundamentalist Christianity has wrought on the world since the times of Augustine of Hippo.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 10-20-2009 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 04:25 PM

30,138 posts, read 19,964,744 times
Quote:

He did use Christianity to deceived the western world during the dark ages when the inquisitions(torturing and burning alive men women and children alike) ran amok, and the wars of the crusades were fought in the name of God dealing death on countless innocents throughout the western world. Or the destruction of ancient technologies(aqueducts and roads), art and culture, and the Sciences etc. Note that the dark ages started right about the time that the doctrine of eternal torture was made orthodoxy by the roman Catholic church ... Coincidence? I think not.

And now he continues to use Christianity to deceive the nations using the same pagan doctrines that he used in the dark ages. Not to mention many others like the message of prosperity etc. ...

I think that whatever the shack represents, if it be truly used by Satan for whatever means, pales in comparison to what traditional orthodox and fundamentalist Christianity has wrought on the world since the times of Augustine of Hippo.
Nail on the head.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:

He did use Christianity to deceive the western world during the dark ages when the inquisitions(torturing and burning alive men women and children alike) ran amok, and the wars of the crusades were fought in the name of God dealing death on countless innocents throughout the western world. Or the destruction of ancient technologies(aqueducts and roads), art and culture, and the Sciences etc. Note that the dark ages started right about the time that the doctrine of eternal torture was made orthodoxy by the roman Catholic church ... Coincidence? I think not.

The inquisitions were the product of the Roman Catholic Church. The Catholic church is not fundamental Christianity. It was the Catholic church that martyred those men who tried to bring the truth of God's word to the people.

The Protestant Reformation was for the purpose of restoring the doctrines that the Catholic church distorted or buried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity