Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 AM

33,228 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Did you read it?
Invalid argument. One need not read it when those who have read it have presented commentary and enough quotes from the book to know what the purpose of the book is--to present God in a false light.

The question is, did you bother to read the article I posted which provides quotes from the book that tells you precisely what the purpose of the book is?

I would not waste one second reading trash when there is so much commentary available that explains what the book is about.

There is much more available than this one commentary that I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Invalid argument. One need not read it when those who have read it have presented commentary and enough quotes from the book to know what the purpose of the book is--to present God in a false light.

The question is, did you bother to read the article I posted which provides quotes from the book that tells you precisely what the purpose of the book is?

I would not waste one second reading trash when there is so much commentary available that explains what the book is about.

And I'm quite sure the commentators you read believe exactly the way you do...what did Jesus call that? Oh yes...the BLIND LEADING THE BLIND...look out for that pit Mike.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
I have found, it is best to know the subject one wishes to advise another to either embrace or avoid. To base a stance on something from another's perspective can lead to problems down the road.

Two people can read the same passage and come away with different interpretations. Whenever I feel compelled to advise people on something, I make darn sure I know first hand the content having studied it and researched it personally before advising.

A little perseverance and patience will go a long way towards getting a reputation of being reliable.

BTW, I read the Shack. Took it as a work of fiction and read it in that light, loved the book and it gave me food for thought and a desire to pick up my Bible. The Word tells us to test things against the Bible and we shall know the truth....HOw much more simple can that statement be?

I am assuming, as you didn't like the Shack that you also did not like the Left Behind series. Same scenario. I loved the series and the movies, but, tested them against the Word/Bible for the truth.

Fiction can be written in a Christian prospective, and I would rather read Christian fiction than most of the trash written today.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Quote:
Invalid argument.
Well it wasn't an argument. See an argument puts for an opposing view. I have yet to do that. I simply asked a question. Have you read it?

However, I do thank you for tipping your hat.. considering it took you 8 sentences to talk around why you haven't read it.. shows me how weak any future arguments you may have will be.

Quote:
One need not read it when those who have read it have presented commentary and enough quotes from the book to know what the purpose of the book is--to present God in a false light.
Well you were the one that stated:
Quote:
You take great comfort in a book that presents a counterfeit Jesus and twists the truth about God!!!
And I would think that if you feel as though it twists the truth you would have read it instead of taking others words for it. How about this.. pick up the book.. and read it. If you still think it twists the truth.. then post away. Until then I (and I assume others) will just assume your post to be trollish.

Quote:
Why would I read an article concerning a book that you didn't even read? You haven't even read the book. Tell you what.. when the author of that article comes here and posts (and assuming he read the book) then I'll debate with him. Or.. you could just read the book and then we could talk.. until then..

Quote:
Yet you'll take the time to produce trash on a message board about it.. very strange. Hey to each his own.. if thats how you manage your time.. so be it.

Quote:
By people that probably even read the book no less..

Hey got any other books that you didn't read that you care to discuss?

Remember.. I just asked a question.. did you read the book. All you had to do was say "no".. and I would have happily moved on.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I have found, it is best to know the subject one wishes to advise another to either embrace or avoid. To base a stance on something from another's perspective can lead to problems down the road.

Two people can read the same passage and come away with different interpretations. Whenever I feel compelled to advise people on something, I make darn sure I know first hand the content having studied it and researched it personally before advising.

A little perseverance and patience will go a long way towards getting a reputation of being reliable.

BTW, I read the Shack. Took it as a work of fiction and read it in that light, loved the book and it gave me food for thought and a desire to pick up my Bible. The Word tells us to test things against the Bible and we shall know the truth....HOw much more simple can that statement be?

I am assuming, as you didn't like the Shack that you also did not like the Left Behind series. Same scenario. I loved the series and the movies, but, tested them against the Word/Bible for the truth.

Fiction can be written in a Christian prospective, and I would rather read Christian fiction than most of the trash written today.
I have seen enough quotes from the book to not have to read the book to know what it is about. Simple.

I never read any of the Left Behind series. Don't make assumptions.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
I have seen enough quotes from the book to not have to read the book to know what it is about. Simple.
What is it about ?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What is it about ?
He can't tell you....he's never read it. Go get a copy and read it for yourself....you can probably find it at the library for free.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
He can't tell you....he's never read it. Go get a copy and read it for yourself....you can probably find it at the library for free.
I have 2 copies of it , Mike i will mail you one of the copies free of charge if you would like to read it .

Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Who's truth...yours From what I've seen of your posting Mike...you are believing in a delusion of a man made God...you are still believing in the "milk" and it's time for you to move on to the "solid food" of the gospel message. There is way more to God than you are aware of at the present time and you should search and keep searching until you find it.
Truth is absolute. It is not relative. There is not one truth for one person, and a different truth for someone else. There is the revealed truth of God, and you either orient to that truth or you don't. It is your responsiblity to adjust to the reality of God's revealed truth, for the word of God will not change to accomodate your beliefs.

You have that completely backwards. It is the Gospel that is the milk, along with basic doctrine. The solid food is found in the more advanced doctrines of the Epistles.

1 Cor. 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to babes in Christ. 2) I gave yu milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, 3) for you are still fleshly.

Once a person has heard the Gospel and has believed in Christ then it is time to begin learning the doctrines that pertain to the Church age. The doctrines that Paul teaches in the Epistles.

You do not know what you are talking about. You have no understanding of the Scriptures, and you have no idea of just how ridiculous preteristic beliefs are. Both preterists and unversalists share in common a gross distortion of the word of God and a lack of ability to see that they are distorting the word of God. If you persist in the alexandria school of thought, and continue to allergorize the scriptures, and ignore the principle that the Bible is to be taken literally except where a passage is obviously meant to be symbolic; if you continue to reject a dispensational approach to the Bible, you will never be able to understand the word of God. And if you do not place yourself under the teaching of a prepared pastor/teacher, and try to learn the word of God on your own, you will never advance in the spiritual life. Or do you not believe Eph. 4:11-16?

There is no excuse for rejecting the truth. And in doing so, a person will reap what they sow. Final comment, final reply.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM

987 posts, read 1,118,736 times
The Shack is a work of fiction. I found much in it that I don't agree with doctrinally but I still enjoyed it. Above everything, I think you come away with the overwhelming feeling that God loves us far more than we realize. And what is so bad about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity