U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,561,355 times

Advertisements

Heavenly Father, help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in
traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and
is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the dishes &
laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man
who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old college
student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of
not getting his student loans for next semester.

Remind us, Lord, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the
same spot every day (who really ought to get a job!) is a slave to
addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through
the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this
moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week,
this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you give us,
the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with
those we hold dear. Open our hearts not only to those who are close to
us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive,
show patience, empathy and love.

Working for God on earth doesn't pay much... but His retirement plan
is out of this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM

5,739 posts, read 4,587,463 times
How beautiful and humbling.
Thank you so much for sharing that, little elmer.
I'm going to print that out.
thanks again.
love,
sparrow

Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 PM

55 posts, read 69,010 times
Father in heaven you are a glorious and powerful God forgive me for my sins each day and bless me to your wisdom that I may share with those who may be less fortunate to know you, please Lord turn all hearts to you regardless of their walk or circumstance and keep your beautiful city in your great and awesome power and peace remebering your covenant to her and her people lift up their hearts to the truths that your Son taught all this I ask in your Exaulted Sons name Amen

Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,110,481 times
Wow Little Elmer . . . thank goodness I have a box of tissues handy.

This was so beautiful and insightful, thank you so much for blessing us with this post, Lifesigns64

Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 PM

30,248 posts, read 20,001,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Heavenly Father, help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in
traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and
is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the dishes &
laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man
who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old college
student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of
not getting his student loans for next semester.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through
the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this
moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week,
this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you give us,
the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with
those we hold dear. Open our hearts not only to those who are close to
us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive,
show patience, empathy and love.

Working for God on earth doesn't pay much... but His retirement plan
is out of this world.
Amen little elmer.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

This line I take offence to. You have showed that you judge people who are homeless to be (addicts) but you probably have never lowered yourself to their level long enough to hear their story. Nor do I supose that you ever invited one of them to a McDonalds or the likes to help them out. Before you accuse them of such a life maybe you should get to know your audience. I was once one of those begging for money. I had walked everywhere looking for a job to no avail. I wore holes in my shoes and my cloths soon after began to look the same way. It only added to the many things that made me less appealing to a prospective employer. I now voluteer a homeless shelter and enjoy the people and their stories and very few were because of a adiction of their own. some were there because of a divorce or job displacement. So please for the sake of the loved brotheren on the street, get to know them before you lump them into a pile of "adicts"

Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,364,215 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoneer View Post
This line I take offence to. You have showed that you judge people who are homeless to be (addicts) but you probably have never lowered yourself to their level long enough to hear their story. Nor do I supose that you ever invited one of them to a McDonalds or the likes to help them out. Before you accuse them of such a life maybe you should get to know your audience. I was once one of those begging for money. I had walked everywhere looking for a job to no avail. I wore holes in my shoes and my cloths soon after began to look the same way. It only added to the many things that made me less appealing to a prospective employer. I now voluteer a homeless shelter and enjoy the people and their stories and very few were because of a adiction of their own. some were there because of a divorce or job displacement. So please for the sake of the loved brotheren on the street, get to know them before you lump them into a pile of "adicts"

I don't read this prayer as targeting one group of individuals, but simply an example of so many things we need to be mindful of and to seek God's face each day for any like sins that we may have commited. I can understand how this prayer can be misunderstood as to single out the derelict as an addict only, my friend that has a ministry "Street Reach" in NY, just told me that there are over 3,000 people in their area that are homeless from loss of jobs alone.
Thanks for posting this prayer Lil Elmer, my daughter sent me one similar
to this one a year ago.
God Bless

Old 10-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:

I can understand your annoyance/frustration at that "homeless people are addicts" part, but please don't miss the point behind the post because of that one thing.

For instance, my brother owns a tattoo parlor. Everyone in my family (with the exception of me because I just don't happen to want anything permanately tattooed on my body) has tattoos. Everyone. All in my family are tattooed. Some HEAVILY. Piercings aplenty. There is no one that doesn't have tattoos. Even my teenage nephews. Although, I didn't take offense at the "tattooed 19 year old" in the story.

This wasn't about actually SPECIFIC people, but just a sampling of how SOME people may judge others on the basis of outward things. The actual people that are pointed out in the post is basically irrelevant. And there are a lot of homeless people who are battling addictions. And I think the post was pointing out that this person may be up against a battle that people rushing by have no idea what it is like, have no idea how tough an addiction battle can be, so DON'T JUDGE. Of course not all homeless people are addicts. Of course not!! But again, the point was just to stop judging people and putting more compassion in your heart. That's all.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you went through what you went through. I'm glad and humbled by the fact that you are helping out those who are in a position that you were once in. I think that's beautiful and wonderful. Thank you for doing what you're doing.

Well I just had to respond to your post. Because I think you may have gotten the wrong impression on the intent of it, maybe.

peace to you and again thank you for the good work that you are doing.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 10-20-2009 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: the older I get, the more I forget how to spell.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 PM

I appologize for my post but am very defensive of the homeless because of things like that being said gives homelessness a sterotypeing that many dont deserve. Im sorry I didn't see the revealing part of the prayer for what it was.

God bless you for your understanding

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I appologize for my post but am very defensive of the homeless because of things like that being said gives homelessness a sterotypeing that many dont deserve. Im sorry I didn't see the revealing part of the prayer for what it was.

God bless you for your understanding
No, I totally understand. I don't think you owe an apology, really.
I can understand what kind of heart you have towards homeless people, and the frustration at the sterotyping.

God bless YOU for being gracious. and for helping people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or