U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,237,725 times
Reputation: 837

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I don't argue from that standpoint, that is illogical to me because who's understanding of exemplifying love?

I go on the basis that I recognize God is a God of love-a holy, righteous love that our best still can't come close to His worst so if God does anything and I mean anything that I in my fallen, finite state may deem unfair, horrible then I the creation am being self righteous, arrogant in thinking my way is better than God's
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,202,500 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I don't argue from that standpoint, that is illogical to me because who's understanding of exemplifying love?

I go on the basis that I recognize God is a God of love-a holy, righteous love that our best still can't come close to His worst so if God does anything and I mean anything that I in my fallen, finite state may deem unfair, horrible then I the creation am being self righteous, arrogant in thinking my way is better than God's
So if someone said that God is going to rape women who were prostitutes for ever you would still believe that to be loving as well, because he is God and whatever he does is good no matter what?

This is what im talking about, what you are saying is love is something that we cannot understand because obviously any huiman on earth would know that torturing someone for ever obviously has nothing to do with love, except for maybe in the twisted mind of a psychopath.

Fundamentalism = illogical and abominable fantasy ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,454,210 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
So if someone said that God is going to rape women who were prostitutes for ever you would still believe that to be loving as well, because he is God and whatever he does is good no matter what?

This is what im talking about, what you are saying is love is something that we cannot understand because obviously any huiman on earth would know that torturing someone for ever obviously has nothing to do with love, except for maybe in the twisted mind of a psychopath.

Fundamentalism = illogical and abominable fantasy ...
No! If I saw it in scripture-God's word no matter how much I try to exegete it and I still see God allowing rape then who am I to question God's word? Am I now going to try to "fix" the bible to harmonizes a god I create in my own mind? or will I stick to scripture which brings me to why and how we know the bible was written by God and not man because if it was written by man then the parts that we consider "contradicting" the parts that we deem horrible would be changed by man

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-20-2009 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 02:29 PM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,558,523 times
Reputation: 4461
Good thread Fundy.

Anytime we examine our thoughts and actions (I call them our "nature") in light of God's, it results in repentance on our part and necessitates worship to Him who is so far above us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:06 PM
 
37,545 posts, read 25,255,858 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
No! If I saw it in scripture-God's word no matter how much I try to exegete it and I still see God allowing rape then who am I to question God's word? Am I now going to try to "fix" the bible to harmonizes a god I create in my own mind? or will I stick to scripture which brings me to why and how we know the bible was written by God and not man because if it was written by man then the parts that we consider "contradicting" the parts that we deem horrible would be changed by man
No! . . . You have it backwards. It is how we know it was written by man and NOT God . . . because if it were written by God there would BE no contradictions or horrible parts. God is love . . . NOT the fear-demanding, wrathful,vengeful, jealous monster created out of the HUMAN emotions, fears and primitive imaginations of savages thousands of years ago! Logic is definitely not a strong suit of literalists and fundies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM
 
218 posts, read 269,082 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No! . . . You have it backwards. It is how we know it was written by man and NOT God . . . because if it were written by God there would BE no contradictions or horrible parts. God is love . . . NOT the fear-demanding, wrathful,vengeful, jealous monster created out of the HUMAN emotions, fears and primitive imaginations of savages thousands of years ago! Logic is definitely not a strong suit of literalists and fundies.
Look at John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,202,500 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
No! If I saw it in scripture-God's word no matter how much I try to exegete it and I still see God allowing rape then who am I to question God's word? Am I now going to try to "fix" the bible to harmonizes a god I create in my own mind? or will I stick to scripture which brings me to why and how we know the bible was written by God and not man because if it was written by man then the parts that we consider "contradicting" the parts that we deem horrible would be changed by man
So rape is not okay if God did it but torture is? Ask any woman you know if she would rather be raped or tortured and see what they say. Or are you saying rape is okay if God says its okay? How about child molestation? Or necrophilia?

Twisted is all I can say about your thinking. That or simply incredulous due to lack of the ability to think for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 PM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,593,880 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No! . . . You have it backwards. It is how we know it was written by man and NOT God . . . because if it were written by God there would BE no contradictions or horrible parts. God is love . . . NOT the fear-demanding, wrathful,vengeful, jealous monster created out of the HUMAN emotions, fears and primitive imaginations of savages thousands of years ago! Logic is definitely not a strong suit of literalists and fundies.
You keep insisting the Scriptures are antiquated, etc etc. but, if my memory serves me right, you claim to be a follower of Jesus. Right?

Then why do you keep throwing out the very Scripture(s) that Christ Himself endorsed?

Q. What did He use and how did he defeat satan?

A.By quoting Scripture and stating "It is written."

Q.How did He silence the Pharisee's?

A.By quoting and or referring to the Scripture.

Q.What did He read when He stood up in the synagogue?

A.The Book of Isaiah.

The Old Testament in the New Testament > The Good News : March/April 1998

How many times do the writers of the New Testament quote the Old Testament? An index in the Jewish New Testament catalogs 695 separate quotations from the books of the Old Testament in the New (Jewish New Testament Publications, Jerusalem, 1989). There are many other passages where the Old Testament is referred to, as in cases where an Old Testament figure is mentioned, but no specific scripture is quoted. Depending on which scholar's work you examine, the number of quotations and references in the New Testament to the Old may be as high as 4,105(Roger Nicole, The Expositor's Bible Commentary, Zondervan, Grand Rapids, 1979, Vol. I, p. 617).
Compare those figures to the number of times other writers are quoted in the New Testament: four. The apostles quoted the Old Testament 695 times, but other writers only four times. Yet some people insist that the teaching of the New Testament is that the Old is obsolete, only valid for a specific people during a limited time in history.

Some assume that the five books of Moses are obsolete, as they focus so heavily on laws supposedly annulled by Jesus Christ. However, these same five books are quoted at least 245 times and referred to many more. Paul, the apostle who some believe taught that the law contained in these five books is done away, quoted from those books between 70 and 110 times-more than any other New Testament figure. Jesus Christ quoted from these same books about 60 times.

http://www.ucg.org/issues/gn15/christ_otnt.htm

http://www.ucg.org/issues/gn15/importance_otnt.htm

Last edited by mshipmate; 10-20-2009 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: added a link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:27 PM
 
20,304 posts, read 15,658,083 times
Reputation: 7422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
We are called intolerant, hateful, pharisee, unloving, legalistic, religious......need I go on?
I have also been called 'dolt' and 'fool'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:43 PM
 
37,545 posts, read 25,255,858 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
You keep insisting the Scriptures are antiquated, etc etc. but, if my memory serves me right, you claim to be a follower of Jesus. Right?

Then why do you keep throwing out the very Scripture(s) that Christ Himself endorsed?
I follow and love Jesus over all else. I throw out nothing. SPIRITUAL truth exists in the primitive recordings of those savage minds . . . but not in the literal renderings currently used by those wishing to retain the antiquated primitive understandings despite 2000+ years of enlightenment and knowledge. God is no extortionist and does not punish us. That does NOT mean there are no negative consequences for our failures to develop spiritually . . . but those consequences are corrective and measured accordingly . . . NOT indiscriminate (i.e., all sins are equal) or eternal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top