U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
We can only by what Revelation 13:16 says. And he caused all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free man and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand, or on their forehead.
Well.. what do you think about Exodus 13:9 then?
"This [festival] will be [like] a mark on your hand or a reminder on your forehead that the teachings of the LORD are [always] to be a part of your conversation. Because the LORD used his mighty hand to bring you out of Egypt,"

or the repeat in verse 16

or perhaps:
Deuteronomy 11:18 "You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.

What are these verses talking about?

AND THERE ARE MORE....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 AM

549 posts, read 515,802 times
keep searching.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:57 AM

20,292 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Well.. what do you think about Exodus 13:9 then?
"This [festival] will be [like] a mark on your hand or a reminder on your forehead that the teachings of the LORD are [always] to be a part of your conversation. Because the LORD used his mighty hand to bring you out of Egypt,"

or the repeat in verse 16

or perhaps:
Deuteronomy 11:18 "You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.

What are these verses talking about?

AND THERE ARE MORE....
What's your problem? Neither verse you posted has anything to do with what was being talked about. This is why I don't bother reading what you post. You're illogical and have serious comprehension problems.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Quote:
What's your problem? Neither verse you posted has anything to do with what was being talked about. This is why I don't bother reading what you post. You're illogical and have serious comprehension problems.
MARK OF THE BEAST is on the hand and forehead.. those verses I posted are about marks on the hand and forehead...

Yet you take Revelation as literal?

And you say I have comprehension problems?

Same word types are used but did they literally have a stamp of the words of God on their foreheads?

NOPE... and neither do those with the mark of the beast...

Old 10-22-2009, 01:46 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,565,258 times
Quote:
Revelation is a book of symbols - you should know this.

I think L. Ray Smith does a good job showing how silly it would be to take the Revelation of John literally:

Verse 5, Will God literally punish the church of Ephesus by removing a literal candlestick? (Removing a literal candlestick would be no great loss to anyone).
Verse 7, Is the tree of life a literal tree that one literally eats?
Verse 9, Was the church in Smyrna literally in poverty and literally rich at the same time? Does "synagogue of Satan" mean a literal synagogue where Satan has a Rabbi teaching the Law to a congregation every Sabbath day?
Verse 13, Is a name something that one literally holds fast to with oneís hands?
Verse 16, Will Christ literally do battle by using a literal sword which He literally keeps in His mouth?
Verse 17, Will Christ reward the faithful with a literal little white stone? Canít we see that the stone and the name written in it represents something else? Something of much greater value?
Verse 20, Was the harlot Jezebel literally in the Thyatira church? Literal Jezebel died CENTURIES before this book was written by John.
Verse 22, Will Christ literally throw literal Jezebel into a literal bed where she will literally commit adultery with literal men?
Verse 23, Will Christ kill literal children of the literal harlot, Jezebel?
Verse 27, Will the saints beat the nations with a literal rod of iron into literal small pieces like broken pottery?
Verse 28, Will Christ give the literal morning star to His saints? Where would they put it? What would they do with it?
Chapter 3:1, Was the Sardis church literally alive and literally dead at the same time?
Verse 4, Were members of the Sardis congregation wearing literally soiled clothing?
Verse 7, Is there literally a metal key of David that is needed to open a literal lock?
Verse 12, Will Christ literally turn people into stone pillars in the temple?
Verse 16, Will Christ literally spit the church of Laodicea out of His mouth?
Verse 17, Were the members of the Laodicean church literally poor and literally blind and literally naked without clothing to wear?
Verse 18, Did Christ try to sell Laodicea literal gold? What would they do with the gold? What, pray tell, would Christ do with the money?
Verse 20, Does Christ literally knock at the doors of our homes and then come in and eat a literal home cooked meal and pecan pie with us?
Is it necessary for me to go through this entire book verse by verse before we can fully realize that this book is written in figurative, symbolic, and metaphorical language?
Letís look at just a few more:
Chapter 4, Was a literal trumpet "talking" with John?
Chapter 5, Is Jesus Christ literally a "Lion," an "animal?"
Chapter 6, Are these literal "horses?" Do the literal stars of heaven fall on the earth? The smallest known stars are a million times larger than the earth.
Chapter 7, Were angels literally holding back four "winds" on four literal "corners" of the earth? I thought the earth is round without corners? Can one literally wash his clothes "white" in red "blood?"
Chapter 8, Will an angel cast a literal mountain burning with fire into the sea?
Chapter 9, During the fifth trumpet will it literally be impossible for mortal men to die?
Will there be literal locusts shaped like "horses?" Locusts that literally have "hair like a woman, teeth like a lion, and breastplates of iron?" LOCUSTS with breastplates of "iron?"
Chapter 10, Did John eat a literal book? That was literally sweet in his taste buds, but literally bitter in his stomach? Why would anyone "eat" a literal book?
Chapter 11, Are Godís two witnesses that prophesy, literally two olive trees and two candlesticks?
Chapter 12, Will there literally be a pregnant woman "clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars?" Was this same woman able to literally "fly into the wilderness with wings of an eagle?"
Chapter 13, Will there be a literal lamb that will speak like a dragon? Just how do dragons "speak" anyhow?

Will people be literally tattooed with marks (bar codes, swastikas, Social Security numbers, implanted with computer chips or one of a hundred unscriptural marks being suggested by fundamentalist prophets) in their hands and on their foreheads so that men cannot buy or sell ice cream or automobiles without these marks? Self-appointed prophets of doom havenít a clue as to what this mark of the beast really is or the number of his name. I have already been barred from buying and selling recently because I refuse to brandish this "mark of the beast"!

Chapter 14, Does Babylon cause all nations to literally drink of the wine of the literal wrath of her fornication?
Chapter 15, Are the seven last global plagues and catastrophes really contained in seven literal tiny gold vials or bottles?
Chapter 16, Is Jesus Christ going to return to this earth as a literal "thief"? Will every island and mountain on earth literally disappear?
Chapter 17, Will there really be a woman who will ride a literal scarlet coloured beast, having seven heads and ten horns. Can whole nations literally fornicate with a harlot? But here once more in this chapter God does reveal to us who this beast is and what the symbolic horns represent which again proves that ALL OF THESE THINGS are not literal but symbolic and represent things other than what is being described.
Chapter 18, Will the entire social, political, and economic system of the world literally collapse in just one hour because one literal city (Babylon) is destroyed?
Chapter 19, Will a literal prostitute "corrupt" the entire earth? Will a literal "lamb" marry a literal "wife?" Will the King of the universe really wear clothing dripping with literal "blood?" Is Godís wrath a literal "winepress?" Will literal armies of heaven follow Christ to earth riding on literal "flying horses?" No, NONE of these things are literal!

L. Ray Smith - The Lake of Fire - Part 1

Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 AM

30,138 posts, read 19,958,111 times
Quote:
Well i think Kat gave 2 great scriptures that are symbolic rather than literal , which i clearly understood as being in reference to the mark of the beast not being a literal mark , and you say she has comprehension problems ? .

Old 10-22-2009, 04:29 AM

6 posts, read 11,195 times
symbolic literal what is the diference

Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 AM

55 posts, read 68,964 times
: think::t hink::th ink: Is it possible that we live in a duel world and that it is literal and figurative simultaneously I mean the bread and the wine are both but how is it the real blood and body of christ , well lets just say Jesus is God and God is everywhere and since that is true then quit litterally you are drinking the blood and eating the body of christ take off the blinders and see. We with a finite and limited understanding of the way of the spirit can only think in a finite and limited way until we see. when we see the spirit you will see it is not the animal but God speaking through that medium. that bread is meat wine is blood that a mark is in the flesh but in the form of thoughts and agreements.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
I can see that a lot of things in Revelation have to be taken figuratively, and maybe the "mark" is figurative also, but it sure is strange how we have been moving for years toward a cashless society because of robbery, ID theft, etc.

I think it may come to pass that people will be required to have a "mark" (they can imbed computer chips, encoded with all kinds of info, under people's skin right now!) to buy and sell, but in the case of what Revelation is talking about, it seems that it would be something that Christians would not want to have because of its being connected with some kind of spiritual implication of denying Jesus Christ as God. Otherwise it would be no different from using a credit or debit card, wouldn't you say?

I believe that when the time comes, God will let his children know what is going on and prepare them for it.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,448,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoneer View Post
: think::t hink::th ink: Is it possible that we live in a duel world and that it is literal and figurative simultaneously I mean the bread and the wine are both but how is it the real blood and body of christ , well lets just say Jesus is God and God is everywhere and since that is true then quit litterally you are drinking the blood and eating the body of christ take off the blinders and see. We with a finite and limited understanding of the way of the spirit can only think in a finite and limited way until we see. when we see the spirit you will see it is not the animal but God speaking through that medium. that bread is meat wine is blood that a mark is in the flesh but in the form of thoughts and agreements.
you did a 1 set of seven smileys; a holy number, and 3 sets of 6 smileys; making 666 as you spoke of duality oooooooo.... aahhhhhhhhh hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity