U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM

5,738 posts, read 4,584,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You can try to change the spots on a leopard, you can lead a horse to water,
but you can't make him drink. The purpose of Ministering in prisons is the hope
that if you can make a difference in one persons life, you were
successful, but the fact of the matter is prisons are full of psycho/sociopathic types,
their not curable and good at faining appearances.
So, its likely the one Ministering gets more from the experience than for those its intended for.
Sorry, but even you don't sit on the thrown next to God. For someone
who has a problem with hypocrites and the judgmental, your setting a poor example.
Y'know what? They are also full of a lot of people who for whatever hardships in life they faced, went down the wrong path. They are no different than anyone else. I have family members who have spent time in prison. What helped them was people not assuming the worst about them and giving them a chance. The "inmate" status is something that is hard to get away from, YEARS after you've been set free. Everyone immediately assumes the worst about you.

I think if the OP had a concern, (I'm not saying it wasn't a valid concern)but it was voiced in a very judgemental way. As if these people are subhuman. That is the way it came across.

I can see in my mind an inmate being so appreciative of someone caring about them that they are in that kitchen, trying their best to make a nice meal. What if they knew that the person said that? "Inmates (these people that I came to help) cooked my meal!!! I have lost my appetite!!"

If there was a concern, (which yes I have been inside prisons and I understand the concern) it was voiced in a not so gracious way.

That's all I'm sayin'.....

Maybe next time, there will be a little more compassion, perhaps.
Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,154,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You will always know someone by their fruit....as her post indicated, her first thought was...."HOLD ON THE INMATES COOKED MY APPRECIATION MEAL!you know I lost my appetite". It's obvious by her response that she shouldn't be involved in Prison Ministry because her heart isn't really in it.

To the OP: I really am curious as to why you are involved in Prison Ministry if this is the attitude you have toward prisoners. Don't you realize but for the grace of God...there go us? We are no different than them in they eyes of God...a sinner is a sinner...each sin is exactly the same in Gods eyes.
Hmmm....that's a pretty high standard and a pretty harsh judgement you're layin' on the OP. IMO

I'm wondering if you understood her reasoning. What I got from it was that she was either (a) afraid (from PAST EXPERIENCES WITH THE INMATES) of some kind of deliberate malicious attempt by the prisoners or (b) she knew they were unsanitary-type people, possibly some with Hepatitis or some such communicable disease, or (c) both of the above. It didn't appear to me that it had anything to do with her thinking she was above them in the "sinner hierarchy".

God did give us good sense, and He also made up the rules about sanitary conditions....a lot of the rules in the OT are given for sanitary purposes.

I'm not sure what I would have done in the OP's situation, but I probably would have done the same thing....I would have excused myself, gone to the bathroom, and then when I returned, said I wasn't feeling well, or told them that my physical condition mandated a special diet (she said that was the case), and either just sat there and sipped a drink (that I poured myself!) or expressed my thanks and gone home.

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 10-21-2009 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,154,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I think if the OP had a concern, (I'm not saying it wasn't a valid concern)but it was voiced in a very judgemental way. As if these people are subhuman. That is the way it came across.

If there was a concern, (which yes I have been inside prisons and I understand the concern) it was voiced in a not so gracious way.
We're not actually sure how she voiced it.....sounds to me like possibly only the people sitting around her knew why she wasn't eating.

I know sometimes we are faced with situations suddenly, and we don't have time to come up with the wisest response. Hindsight's 20/20, and it's easy for us to sit here and say what she should have done.....might not have been so easy for us if we had been suddenly thrust into that situation!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:08 AM

15,719 posts, read 22,782,500 times
Oh trust me I am no ones judge, and yes, I have compassion. I'm certain there are inmates that are grateful for someone to take an interest in them, and truly remorseful. There has to be some logic here, for as many that fall into the above category, there are just as many who will never see the light so to speak. Gratitude and remorse are non-existant for them, there without conscience, theres something evil right down to the their core, and yes they to have a story and I do have compassion for them as well, but thats not the question at hand, would I trust them,
absolutely no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Y'know what? They are also full of a lot of people who for whatever hardships in life they faced, went down the wrong path. They are no different than anyone else. I have family members who have spent time in prison. What helped them was people not assuming the worst about them and giving them a chance. The "inmate" status is something that is hard to get away from, YEARS after you've been set free. Everyone immediately assumes the worst about you.

I can see in my mind an inmate being so appreciative of someone caring about them that they are in that kitchen, trying their best to make a nice meal. What if they knew that the person said that? "Inmates (these people that I came to help) cooked my meal!!! I have lost my appetite!!"

That's all I'm sayin'.....

Maybe next time, there will be a little more compassion, perhaps.
Just something to think about.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,133,752 times
Maybe the prisoners didn't like the volunteers. Maybe they weren't being offered the saving grace that should have been offered. Maybe they didn't feel loved by the volunteers. Maybe the preaching wasn't reaching them and all they really wanted was to be taught.

I would have eaten with them. My brother was a prisoner and while visiting, I would notice the others there. They were all in the same boat and just as troubled. None of them were the kind that would harm another intentionally.
Maybe you should try counselling a minimum security prison. Sounds like you were intermediary.

Yes, I do prison ministry.

Last edited by Reverend1111; 10-21-2009 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM

5,738 posts, read 4,584,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
We're not actually sure how she voiced it.....sounds to me like possibly only the people sitting around her knew why she wasn't eating.

No, I was just talking about what was expressed here in the thread.

Like I said, I'm not trying to judge the op. Just trying to give a different perspective on prisoners. They're not all psychos hell-bent on harming someone. I understand her concern. It was just the way she voiced it here on the thread that got me thinking of her view. That's all.

peace..

Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,119,376 times
...."HOLD ON THE INMATES COOKED MY APPRECIATION MEAL!you know I lost my appetite".

The above is the post of the OP.....what would you think if you were a prisoner and heard someone, who claimed to be a "Christian" there to help you find God, say this?

I said it before and I will say it again...But for the "Grace of God" there go us! People in prison are no different than us...they've just commited a sin/crime that was punishable by the laws of man. Do you think for one moment that your sin of "Pride" is less sinful than the crimes they've committed? In Gods eyes it is all the same people!

Prisoners are still human beings who need the love of God and their fellow man, just like we do. To lump all prisoners into one cesspool of sinfulness is just plain wrong and the pridefulness of the person that does it shows what is truly in their heart....that they are somehow better than that person in prison. Do you somehow think these kinds of attitudes can be hidden from someone...from a prisoner? If you spend any time with a prisoner, they will know whether you are genuine or not and will treat you accordingly. Loving your neighbor, not only includes those around us in our everyday lives...it also includes people in prison.

If one is not willing to LOVE a prisoner as they would themselves...then they need to stay far away from Prison Ministry.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,645,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenlisa View Post
well I do prison ministry and have been doing it for 4 years well the warden and sheriff decided to give all the volunteers a dinner for coming to spread the gospel to the inmates.
we all went from our church about 10 of us ,well they had the dinner at this big beautiful church and as they were blessing the meal they asked God to bless the inmates that prepared the meal.
HOLD ON THE INMATES COOKED MY APPRECIATION MEAL!you know I lost my appetite I know how alot of those inmates are by working with them in the prison ministry and you let them cook for me.OH NO NO NO.
I devided not to eat and thank God I did'nt because alot of people got badly sick,vomiting,diarrhea,they say it was food poison.

Would you have denied the meal or accepted it?

That's a tough question. I work in a maximum-security prison, and a lot of times I do eat food prepared by the inmates. But it is the same food the inmates themselves eat, not something prepared specifically for staff. If an inmate tried to mess with the food, then pretty much you can count on the other inmates coming down hard on that individual. (as in a beating...or worse)

As far as "would I have eaten that food"....I don't know. I wouldn't blame anyone at all for not eating it. Why? Because...I have had food poisoning, and was extremely sick for 3 days...throwing up constantly day and night...all dehydrated...couldn't keep any food down at all. I was in the hospital for the first day of it. It was so horrible...

About once a year the "chief mucky-mucks" here throw an "employee appreciation dinner" for us. It is almost always after hours, and is cooked by the supervisors and management, not the inmates. However, it is usually just burgers and potato chips. Last year it was hot dogs and potato chips.
Looking at it, I just didn't feel all that much appreciated. I didn't bother with it...just went home and enjoyed a superb dinner cooked by my lovely wife...

Bud

Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM

15,719 posts, read 22,782,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
...."HOLD ON THE INMATES COOKED MY APPRECIATION MEAL!you know I lost my appetite".

The above is the post of the OP.....what would you think if you were a prisoner and heard someone, who claimed to be a "Christian" there to help you find God, say this?

I said it before and I will say it again...But for the "Grace of God" there go us! People in prison are no different than us...they've just commited a sin/crime that was punishable by the laws of man. Do you think for one moment that your sin of "Pride" is less sinful than the crimes they've committed? In Gods eyes it is all the same people!

Prisoners are still human beings who need the love of God and their fellow man, just like we do. To lump all prisoners into one cesspool of sinfulness is just plain wrong and the pridefulness of the person that does it shows what is truly in their heart....that they are somehow better than that person in prison. Do you somehow think these kinds of attitudes can be hidden from someone...from a prisoner? If you spend any time with a prisoner, they will know whether you are genuine or not and will treat you accordingly. Loving your neighbor, not only includes those around us in our everyday lives...it also includes people in prison.

If one is not willing to LOVE a prisoner as they would themselves...then they need to stay far away from Prison Ministry.
Completely overboard

Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,119,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Completely overboard
It may very well be....but at least you can see where my heart is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or