Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:38 AM

282 posts, read 524,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
Not to be rude but I am curious, how would you live your life if there wasn't a bible? It seems strange to me that people live their life by a book. I am not a religous person so when it comes to religion I am clueless, I will admit that so this question might seem wierd to some people. I just don't get it, why can't you live your own life and make your own decisions on what you think is right or wrong, or what you should and shouldn't do. If god is suppose to love everyone then why does it matter what you do and don't follow?

OK so my next question~~
If god is suppose to love everyone then why does it matter what you do and don't follow? I am not religous, I do not follow the bible but I am a good person with a good heart...so does that mean god ONLY loves people who follow his instructions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:24 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,003,257 times
Quote:
OK so my next question~~
If god is suppose to love everyone then why does it matter what you do and don't follow? I am not religous, I do not follow the bible but I am a good person with a good heart...so does that mean god ONLY loves people who follow his instructions?
God loves all of His children no matter what. His love is unconditional. That means whatever you do, say, teach or adhere to as a belief or religion, He will love you. Even if we do not believe in Him, He believes in us and will always love us. The bible paints a pretty sad picture according to some. God is no destroyer or killer or rapist. He is Love in the purest form without an iota of negative. If you multiply your love for your own children by infinity, that is God's love. We are His love made manifest. Our job is to love all the same way. Nothing more.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,282,986 times
Quote:
Not to be rude but I am curious, how would you live your life if there wasn't a bible? It seems strange to me that people live their life by a book. I am not a religous person so when it comes to religion I am clueless, I will admit that so this question might seem wierd to some people. I just don't get it, why can't you live your own life and make your own decisions on what you think is right or wrong, or what you should and shouldn't do. If god is suppose to love everyone then why does it matter what you do and don't follow?
But there is a bible and there are people that want to live by what God tells them to do.

Why is it that people point out people that just want to live the way that God tells them to do? I get it you or others don't want to, but why question?

Honsetly, you don't get it, I don't get it either, why people wouldn't live by the bible. So, we both don't get it. But I don't question others motives, because that is there business.

God does love everyone that is why He left us the bible. WE live by the bible because we know that is the best thing to do. You can either disagree with it or not, but why do you do the things that you do?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
But there is a bible and there are people that want to live by what God tells them to do.

Why is it that people point out people that just want to live the way that God tells them to do? I get it you or others don't want to, but why question?

Honsetly, you don't get it, I don't get it either, why people wouldn't live by the bible. So, we both don't get it. But I don't question others motives, because that is there business.

God does love everyone that is why He left us the bible. WE live by the bible because we know that is the best thing to do. You can either disagree with it or not, but why do you do the things that you do?
I question because I want to know, thats why. I do the things I do because I want to and I make my own desicions, I don't follow a book on how to make my decisions...and I want to know why others have to follow a book on how to live their life.

People come on city data all the time to ask questions on why people think the way they do about certain things.
If you want to come on city data and ask why people DON'T live by the bible go for it...it is City Data and many people on here do that.
So, if you can't answer my questions then why post anything, looks like you just want to start an argument and my thread is not intended for that.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I question because I want to know, thats why. I do the things I do because I want to and I make my own desicions, I don't follow a book on how to make my decisions...and I want to know why others have to follow a book on how to live their life.

People come on city data all the time to ask questions on why people think the way they do about certain things.
If you want to come on city data and ask why people DON'T live by the bible go for it...it is City Data and many people on here do that.
So, if you can't answer my questions then why post anything, looks like you just want to start an argument and my thread is not intended for that.
I don't want to start an arguement, there is nothing here to start an arguement. You say you do the things that you do because you make your own decisions because you want too.

Well, we follow the bible because we make our own decisions and follow the bible because we want too. The answer is simple, but it might not be the answer that you are actually looking for. I answered the question once but you over looked it and then asked it again.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 10-21-2009 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Actually ya that wasn't the answer I was looking for I am asking these questions because as I wrote earlier I am clueless when it comes to religion and I was hoping to get answers from people that are passionate about their religion and are able to tell me why they follow the bible, THANKYOU TO THE ONES THAT HAVE
I don't really care to read answers from people who can not answer my questions and are defensive by the questions I ask. Also, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anything... I asked a few simple questions because I truly want to know peoples views on it,so you can roll your eyes all you want ~~ End of discussion, with you anyway.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Actually ya that wasn't the answer I was looking for I am asking these questions because as I wrote earlier I am clueless when it comes to religion and I was hoping to get answers from people that are passionate about their religion and are able to tell me why they follow the bible, THANKYOU TO THE ONES THAT HAVE
I don't really care to read answers from people who can not answer my questions and are defensive by the questions I ask. Also, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anything... I asked a few simple questions because I truly want to know peoples views on it,so you can roll your eyes all you want ~~ End of discussion, with you anyway.
LOL, I gave you an answer. We follow the bible because we want too. You want someone to go out in a deep discussion, that you will probably say you don't really understand.

Why can't you just accept that we we follow the bible because we want too. You do the things that you do because you want too. There is nothing hard about that.

There is nothing that makes us do it, we just do because of who wrote the bible.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
You are not being rude . . you are asking a valid question.

At one time Iw as clueless about religion . . . and I still am. It's not about a religion or a denomination that you are asking here, it is about a book.

The Bible presents a great problem to mankind. Shall we believe this Book, or belittle it? Shall we endorse it, or ignore it? Shall we follow it, or fight it? It is either a light that guides, or a lie that beguiles. Which is it? It is either a great force, or a great farce; it either contains directions or deceptions, depending upon the validity of its claims.

Is the Bible the product of God, or the product of man? Since man has never been able to write a better one, it sounds as if it came from God. Since it is in a class all by itself, it sounds as though it could not have come from man. Since men have never been able to destroy it, though they have desperately tried to do so, it must be the product of God. Since there has never been known to be a principle for better living which the Bible does not incorporate, surely God inspired the writing of it!

Consider the accuracy of the Bible. Time was when the Bible was the only information men had on certain historical data. The Bible contained names of some kings that historians had no other record of. Some therefore doubted that such kings existed. I refer particularly to King Arioch, mentioned in the fourteenth Chapter of Genesis, and King Sargon mentioned in the twentieth Chapter of Isaiah. While men once denied that these kings existed, historians now say that they did exist. Through archaeological discoveries, the very foundation of one of their palaces has been unearthed, giving some information and dates about his deeds, all of which confirms the Bible account. Does this sound as though man thought up the idea of the Bible?

How did Paul know that God made of "one blood" all nations of men to dwell upon the face of the earth? He declared this scientific truth in the seventeenth chapter of Acts, verse twenty-six. Only in recent years have cytologists proved this to be a scientific fact, yet Paul declared it in the long, long ago. How do you account for it? Only on the ground that he spoke as God directed him. Many such truths as these are found in the Bible, and these have baffled the minds of scientists. In fact, there is not a known fact of science that contradicts the Bible. Many theories of science contradict the Bible, but no known fact of science does. How can this be accounted for? There is one answer, and that is, God is the author of both science and the Bible.

Whenever I would pickup the Bible, I was either bored, or made no sense of it . . . but God called me to Him, kept nudging me, and that's another story . . . but when I realized that there was a God, a Creator, etc., I couldn't put the bible down .. it's a spiritual thing, now I just want to learn as much as I for the past few years have not gone a day without reading it and getting joy, comfort, and guidance.

Interesting! Thankyou for sharing And to your other post too!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,912,066 times
Quote:

Well, for me personally, without the bible my life probably would have progressed the same way as it did with it in a general sense.

Since the only language I speak is english the bible has mirrored things I have learned without ever reading to where I can relate to english words. But when I was little I did not need the bible to know when someone hurt me out of malice that it was wrong, things such as that.

However, if you are clueless to religion then perhaps it may be informative for you to know that the vast majority of Christian people do not actually read the bible to figure out what to do, they follow the advise of others who tell them what it means.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:10 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,723,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
They HAVE to have the book to tell them how to think. No personal opinions allowed. You can be squeaky clean and live the perfect "sin" free life but you are still going to hell because you don't believe in the right diety. So really your salvation is based on your thought life. That is where the need for the book comes in.
um no actually, my salvation is only based on the finished work that Jesus did on the cross. I am not not worthy of anything, only by the shed blood of Jesus and the grace and mercy of God do i have any hope for tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity