Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
Why people live their life by a book?
It's easier than making decisions and taking personal responsibility for their own decisions. When things don't work out they can always blame the book or the deity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:38 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,625,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's easier than making decisions and taking personal responsibility for their own decisions. When things don't work out they can always blame the book or the deity.
Excuse me, brother Ashe. That's exactly why you and those like you are atheists

Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
They HAVE to have the book to tell them how to think. No personal opinions allowed. You can be squeaky clean and live the perfect "sin" free life but you are still going to hell because you don't believe in the right diety. So really your salvation is based on your thought life. That is where the need for the book comes in.
Do you know anyone who is perfect?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,981,308 times
Quote:
Not to be rude but I am curious, how would you live your life if there wasn't a bible? It seems strange to me that people live their life by a book. I am not a religous person so when it comes to religion I am clueless, I will admit that so this question might seem wierd to some people. I just don't get it, why can't you live your own life and make your own decisions on what you think is right or wrong, or what you should and shouldn't do. If god is suppose to love everyone then why does it matter what you do and don't follow?
First, the Bible is not just a book, but you have to know the author to understand this.

I read the Scriptures because it is God's love letter to me.

You are thinking of the do's and do not's as something bad, but God has a reason for telling us not to do something. Are you a parent? If so don't you tell/warn your children about the danger of certain things? And chastize them when they disobey?

God is no different. He sets rules for our protection.

Just an example. God says not to eat swine? Why? Because He's a big meanie and doesn't want us to enjoy food? No, it's for our health. Swine are scavangers and don't chew the cud.

God loved people so much He came to the earth, in human form, to die on the cross. Isn't that reason enough to love Him back? And one of the ways to show Him your love is to read His Word and obey it.

I don't do this out of fear, but out of a heart of gratitude for all the wonderful blessings He has bestowed on me and my family. The more I show my love for Him, the more he blesses us.

Wouldn't it be rather foolish to never thank Him or ignore Him or His love letter?

Try Him. You just might find what you've been looking for.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:03 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,139,375 times
to those in jail it does not matter at all how you live or what you live by. whatever pops in your head you do it.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,627,883 times
It isn't just a book. It's the divinely inspired Word of the Living God...our Creator...your Creator.

I live by every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God, because that is what He instructs me to do.

I live by this precious Word of God because I believe in Him...because He is my God, my Lord...and if it weren't for this beautiful book, I don't know where I would be today...probably 6 feet under years ago. What an amazing life it has turned into, having had instruction from God in this wonderful book...it is His thoughts...His Words...the desires of His heart, and it expresses His will for me, and gives me hope, that this isn't all there is and then you die...something I can lay upon my chest and feel so much comfort from.

I can't even imagine not having the instruction of my Bible to live my life by, thank God in heaven I don't have to.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 10-21-2009 at 05:26 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 05:24 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,186,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Do you know anyone who is perfect?
Just Jesus....we have some pretty big shoes to fill and I am no where near perfection yet.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,025,400 times
Quote:
Not to be rude but I am curious, how would you live your life if there wasn't a bible? It seems strange to me that people live their life by a book. I am not a religous person so when it comes to religion I am clueless, I will admit that so this question might seem weird to some people. I just don't get it, why can't you live your own life and make your own decisions on what you think is right or wrong, or what you should and shouldn't do. If god is suppose to love everyone then why does it matter what you do and don't follow?

I put my emphasis on the here and now and working towards making this world a better place, ethical monotheism. I don't believe I am the only one saved because of my faith. I don't put emphasis on afterlife. I don't take the bible as literal, I see it as a book inspired by God and written down by man, for specific audiences during specific times for specific reasons. I don't believe God would reject those who believe in him just because they are not a specific religion and I believe people can be righteous even if they have no religion but behave in an ethical and righteous manner.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

When I make a mistake I blame myself because I don't believe God or the book made me do it. I have free will and the intelligence to make choices and thus the mistakes I make are 100% mine.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:21 PM

>>God loved people so much He came to the earth, in human form, to die on the cross. Isn't that reason enough to love Him back? And one of the ways to show Him your love is to read His Word and obey it.<<

Only Christians have the old testament which they took from the Hebrew Tanakh. The Christians have given the bible a whole new meaning to justify their beliefs. If you can change what it means then you have changed its original meaning that was followed for thousands of years before Christianity existed. So I sincerely doubt that the Christian bible is to be taken literally. The tanakh speaks to a people, the Jewish people. Speaks to their history, from their freedom from slavery to becoming the Jewish people, the history in diaspora. The matriarchs and patriarchs, the prophets who spoke to the Jewish along their history of living outside of Israel.

Only the New testament speaks to Christianity, that is their book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity