U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM

1,895 posts, read 4,048,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It sounds like you are saying that "love" is something distinct from keeping God's commandments.

On the contrary...

1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me

One of Satan's great deceptions is that the love of God is something different from keeping His commandments. Which leads to the mindset that I could love God even though I am breaking His commandments.
She didn't say that at all; that is your interpretation of what she said.

Matthew 22:36-40:

36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38This is the first and great commandment.

39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Romans 13:10:

10Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM

37,617 posts, read 25,318,615 times
Our entire relationship with God is based on LOVE!!! . . . NOT being mindless ROBOTS or "PETS."

Old 10-21-2009, 03:30 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,575,706 times
"If you love Me, you'll keep my commandments."

This statement is interpreted two different ways by those bound by the law (A), and those who live by grace (B).

(A) Your love is not proven unless you obey the law.

(B) By loving Him, you look back and realize that His grace has worked in you and fulfilled the law, automatically if you will.

The whole point of the Christian life is to be emptied of oneself, and be filled with Him (Tabernacles). His life in you fulfills the law (Mat 5:17). We are admonished to keep the law, but forbidden to live under it. This is what Romans 6 is all about - we live under grace, keeping the law.

All because of His life in us - that's the focus.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:35 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,048,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

This statement is interpreted two different ways by those bound by the law (A), and those who live by grace (B).

(B) By loving Him, you look back and realize that His grace has worked in you and fulfilled the law, automatically if you will.

The whole point of the Christian life is to be emptied of oneself, and be filled with Him (Tabernacles). His life in you fulfills the law (Mat 5:17). We are admonished to keep the law, but forbidden to live under it. This is what Romans 6 is all about - we live under grace, keeping the law.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:40 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,126,498 times
Quote:

Those who live under the law...will be judged by the law.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,463,452 times
Default Your entire relationship with God is based upon OBEDIENCE!?!?!

No, it's not.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
No, it's not.
Amen and pass the Cheetos!!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,575,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
No, it's not.
I started to say that "if that was the case, where does 'while we were yet in sin, Christ died' fit?".

Seriously, love urges us to obey - any babe in Christ knows that. If we get past the milk and take up the meat though, we see that His life in us causes us to please Him. There's your variable: not all of us are at the same place in our walks, and there are various ratios of flesh/spirit.

John's epistle tells us that what is born of God sins not, but we deceive ourselves if we say we're without sin. Is it a mystery how this is so? Christ's seed in you is holy, and cannot sin; as it grows, you become more and more faithful. The rest of you? Rotten to the core. >>>Only to the degree that His life dwells in you, are you faithful.<<<

Sorry.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM

5,441 posts, read 4,679,421 times
If you love God, then you know He hates sin. He absolutely abhors it. He proved it when he cast Adam & Eve out of the Garden over one willful sin. He proved it when He turned His back on the rebellious house of Israel. Therefore, since you have studied His word to know this fact, you will yield to Jesus so He can purge all sin out of you. Jesus spilled His precious divine blood on the cross to deliver you from that which cannot stand before God, sin; not to simply cover sin up, but to deliver you from committing willful sin anymore. Your love for God will move you into obedience, not sin.

Jesus loved us so much that He willingly poured out His divine blood so that we can be made completely over; this is not simply turning over a new leaf, but made completely new into God's holy image. You must born of the water of the word and of His Spirit; a new creature in Christ Jesus.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I started to say that "if that was the case, where does 'while we were yet in sin, Christ died' fit?".

Seriously, love urges us to obey - any babe in Christ knows that. If we get past the milk and take up the meat though, we see that His life in us causes us to please Him. There's your variable: not all of us are at the same place in our walks, and there are various ratios of flesh/spirit.

John's epistle tells us that what is born of God sins not, but we deceive ourselves if we say we're without sin. Is it a mystery how this is so? Christ's seed in you is holy, and cannot sin; as it grows, you become more and more faithful. The rest of you? Rotten to the core. >>>Only to the degree that His life dwells in you, are you faithful.<<<

Sorry.
I absolutely agree with you here...and some who post don't realize that as they try to espouse their views on the whole of Christianity. We all mature at different times...some are still stuck in the "simple faith" while others have moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity