U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,403,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You said there were two different fears? What are the two different fears? and which groups have these fears
I thought I already answered that above?

To recap, fear has the following two different meanings:
1. reverence, awe, respect, worship
2. being afraid, terrified, scared, dread

Prov 9:10 is talking about fear #1. Reverence, awe, respect, and worship is the beginning of wisdom. This reverence leads to love of God, and understanding of God's love, which is wisdom. See this:

Psalm 147:11 the LORD delights in those who fear [reverence] him,
who put their hope in his unfailing love.

Now perfect love casts out fear. This is talking about fear #2. Again look at the amplified version for clarity, notice its now talking about dread & terror, not reverence:

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love [dread does not exist], but full-grown (complete, perfect) love turns fear out of doors and expels every trace of terror! For fear brings with it the thought of punishment, and [so] he who is afraid has not reached the full maturity of love [is not yet grown into love's complete perfection]

So according to this, I suppose one who has not reached a full understanding and maturity of God's love is in the "terrified" group, while one who does understand God's love is in the "reverence" group. Of course one may be in neither group as well if they just don't plain understand at all.

Make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 02:43 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,448,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
So according to this, I suppose one who has not reached a full understanding and maturity of God's love is in the "terrified" group, while one who does understand God's love is in the "reverence" group. Of course one may be in neither group as well if they just don't plain understand at all.

Make sense?
Actaully no...it is not biblical-We are either believers or unbelievers-there is no third group. For the unbeliever, the fear of God is the fear of the judgment of God and eternal death, which is eternal separation from God and for the believer, Luke 12:5; Hebrews 10:31 the fear of God is something different. The believer's fear is reverence of God.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Actaully no...it is not biblical-We are either believers or unbelievers-there is no third group. For the unbeliever, the fear of God is the fear of the judgment of God and eternal death, which is eternal separation from God and for the believer, the fear of God is something different. The believer's fear is reverence of God.
That is not what I was saying.

I was talking about fear right now - the third group (atheists) don't fear God (in any sense) because obviously they don't believe there is a God.

Its not exactly a mapping to non-believer/believer anyway. There are many believers who don't understand God's love and are actually terrified that they may end up in hell, simply because they might do something wrong. They don't have a full understanding of God's perfect love yet.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
That is not what I was saying.

I was talking about fear right now - the third group (atheists) don't fear God (in any sense) because obviously they don't believe there is a God.

Its not exactly a mapping to non-believer/believer anyway. There are many believers who don't understand God's love and are actually terrified that they may end up in hell, simply because they might do something wrong. They don't have a full understanding of God's perfect love yet.
So there are three groups?

It doesn't matter how a believer feels terrified, it's what the bible says and the bible says, there are two groups; believers and unbelievers. Legoman you are bordering of philosophy, what you are saying, isn't even biblical pertaining to fear of the Lord........3 groups

Old 11-16-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
So there are three groups?

It doesn't matter how a believer feels terrified, it's what the bible says and the bible says, there are two groups; believers and unbelievers. Legoman are bordering of philosophy, what you are saying, isn't even biblical pertaining to fear of the Lord........3 groups
Fundy, stay with me, your thought process is wandering. Fundy, you asked which groups have these fears.

Tell me, does an atheist fear the Lord?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Fundy, stay with me. We can speak outside of the parameters of believer/unbeliever you know. Fundy, you asked which groups have these fears.

Tell me, does an atheist fear the Lord?
No we can't......An atheist is an unbeliever. Atheists know God exist but they choose to suppress that belief or knowledge and as "humble" as some of then can seem to be they are rebels and haters of God, to even believe in the existence of God would force them to acknowledge sin and judgment. They love the idea that they are accountable only to themselves.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
No we can't......An atheist is an unbeliever. Atheists know God exist but they choose to suppress that belief or knowledge and as "humble" as some of then can seem to be they are rebels and haters of God, to even believe in the existence of God would force them to acknowledge sin and judgment. They love the idea that they are accountable only to themselves.

Do atheists fear God? That was the question.

You are bordering on nonsense here Fundy... how can an atheist know God exists when they don't believe He exists?!?!??!? If they know He exists, then they believe don't they! So then there really is no unbeliever.... is that what you are saying?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:37 PM

30,151 posts, read 19,964,744 times
Quote:
There are many believers who don't understand God's love and are actually terrified that they may end up in hell, simply because they might do something wrong. They don't have a full understanding of God's perfect love yet.
And this is where the fable of ET came from (The heart of man) . A man can only share what's in his heart and if he is terrified through fear of consequence because he has not understood God's perfect love , this is how He will relate is false concept of God to us .

Not understanding God in love chastises us for our good and not for our ruin.

Last edited by pcamps; 11-16-2009 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Do atheists fear God? That was the question.

You are bordering on nonsense here Fundy... how can an atheist know God exists when they don't believe He exists?!?!??!? If they know He exists, then they believe don't they! So then there really is no unbeliever.... is that what you are saying?
WOW!? Do you read your bible? We have a conscience (means with knowledge), we have the creation, The creation screams there is a creator; order and design of nature, the universe..

The fool says is in heart, that there is no God......but others translate it as the fools says in his heart, NO to God. Every person on this planet believes in God-they know there is a God. A believer is someone who has repented, surrender and put their trust in Christ, they have become a new creation, all things have passed away and now the Holy Spirit dwells in them not just a person who believes God exist.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
WOW!? Do you read your bible? We have a conscience (means with knowledge), we have the creation, The creation screams there is a creator; order and design of nature, the universe..

The fool says is in heart, that there is no God......but others translate it as the fools says in his heart, NO to God. Every person on this planet believes in God-they know there is a God. A believer is someone who has repented, surrender and put their trust in Christ, they have become a new creation, all things have passed away and now the Holy Spirit dwells in them not just a person who believes God exist.
Yes I understand we have a conscience, creation, it all screams out, etc. Yes I read my bible. WOW the rhetoric is thick.

Yet there are many who do not believe in God. That is because God has not enabled them to believe and come to Christ. Do you read your bible? (FYI The fool says there is no God. Not "no to God" as you suggest). That is what scripture says.

We are way off on a tangent now from the fear of the lord question... which you still haven't addressed how atheists fit in. Are you saying that atheists all really fear God because they know they are going to get it on judgment day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity