Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,076,731 times

Advertisements

The doctrine of Calvinism baffle me. I find it truly warped IMHO. Perhaps its just me.

This is what Calvinism says:

1. God predestines a man to sin

2. God predestines the man to eternal torture for the sins the man was predestined to do.

And somehow this is justice.

Justice?

Does that make sense to anyone here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,743 times
Sure, God (YHWH) is in control and mankind is responsible. That is how HE set it up.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:19 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,076,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokepoleeric View Post
Sure, God (YHWH) is in control and mankind is responsible. That is how HE set it up.

I take it you are a Calvinist then?

If so, then I assume you agree with the 2 points in the OP. I don't dispute that God could do that if He wanted.

What I dispute is how that can possibly be seen as "justice".

Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 PM

8,076 posts, read 6,833,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I take it you are a Calvinist then?

If so, then I assume you agree with the 2 points in the OP. I don't dispute that God could do that if He wanted.

What I dispute is how that can possibly be seen as "justice".
And how a being such as that could POSSIBLY be described as "love"
and how a being such as that could POSSIBLY garner worship.
And how "perfect love casts out all fear" could possibly make one bit of sense.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:23 PM

428 posts, read 796,440 times
Dude, you got me. I've been argueing this point for years. Don't expect an answer, other than "Because God (or the bible) says so". According to their interpretation.

IMHO, Calvinism is absolutely disgusting. Wow, you WANT to worship a God like THAT?

As my 6 year old would say..."ew".

Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,743 times
The apostle Paul was faced with your question when it was asked that since God hardened pharoh's heart, how could pharoh be held responsible for his actions? Paul's response was to say- Oh man, who are you to question what God does? He makes some vessles to honor and some to dishonor.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 AM

37,336 posts, read 28,038,131 times
Quote:
The apostle Paul was faced with your question when it was asked that since God hardened pharoh's heart, how could pharoh be held responsible for his actions? Paul's response was to say- Oh man, who are you to question what God does? He makes some vessles to honor and some to dishonor.
Yes He did harden Pharaoh's heart but there is no statement telling us that as a direct result of Pharaoh's heart being hardened he was destined to an eternity of torment.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,383,916 times
Calvanists?! I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes! Best comic ever!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 AM

6,370 posts, read 6,985,269 times
Quote:
You do believe that God knows the end from the beginning don't you?

Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 AM

6,370 posts, read 6,985,269 times
Quote:
Let's take a look:

Rom 9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
Rom 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
Rom 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
Rom 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Rom 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Notice the question is why would God find fault since nobody has resisted His will (since God is the one doing the hardening). Notice the reply is that the answer is that God has the power to make us to anyway He desires.

Now notice the next verse:

Rom 9:22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

Notice this verse doesn't call these vessels those fitted to destroying but to destruction. A finality is going to happen when there is no longer any destroying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity