Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

[quote=legoman;11651272]I thought I already answered that above?

To recap, fear has the following two different meanings:
1. reverence, awe, respect, worship
2. being afraid, terrified, scared, dread

Prov 9:10 is talking about fear #1. Reverence, awe, respect, and worship is the beginning of wisdom. This reverence leads to love of God, and understanding of God's love, which is wisdom. See this:

Psalm 147:11 the LORD delights in those who fear [reverence] him,
who put their hope in his unfailing love.

Now perfect love casts out fear. This is talking about fear #2. Again look at the amplified version for clarity, notice its now talking about dread & terror, not reverence:

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love [dread does not exist], but full-grown (complete, perfect) love turns fear out of doors and expels every trace of terror! For fear brings with it the thought of punishment, and [so] he who is afraid has not reached the full maturity of love [is not yet grown into love's complete perfection]

So according to this, I suppose one who has not reached a full understanding and maturity of God's love is in the "terrified" group, while one who does understand God's love is in the "reverence" group. Of course one may be in neither group as well if they just don't plain understand at all.

Worship literally means "worth-ship". Giving worth to something. In its older sense in English of worthiness or respect (Anglo-Saxon,worthscripe), worship may on occasion refer to an attitude towards someone of immensely elevated social status, such as a lord or a monarch, or, more loosely ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Actaully no...it is not biblical-We are either believers or unbelievers-there is no third group. For the unbeliever, the fear of God is the fear of the judgment of God and eternal death, which is eternal separation from God and for the believer, Luke 12:5; Hebrews 10:31 the fear of God is something different. The believer's fear is reverence of God.
Why would a non-believer fear someone he does not believe in???

Old 11-17-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
No we can't......An atheist is an unbeliever. Atheists know God exist but they choose to suppress that belief or knowledge and as "humble" as some of then can seem to be they are rebels and haters of God, to even believe in the existence of God would force them to acknowledge sin and judgment. They love the idea that they are accountable only to themselves.
I've met a few people that are true Atheists and totally believe in evolution and that any super-natural ideas were made up by ancient man to explain the then unexplainable....

Old 11-17-2009, 06:50 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Why would a non-believer fear someone he does not believe in???
The same reason they supress the truth of a Creator in unrighteousness. Belief is irrelevant, they know the truth.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I've met a few people that are true Atheists and totally believe in evolution and that any super-natural ideas were made up by ancient man to explain the then unexplainable....
Of course they do.......evolution is just as magical and super-natural, "life came from non-life" a scientist put it perfect, He said, all we have is evolution because the alternative is unacceptible. If a atheist admits there is a God then He must admit that God will hold them accountable and atheists don't like that, they don't like the idea of someone having power over them and that they are not accountable only to themselves.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
I have read in the scriptures

and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death(Hebrews 2 :15). but never read that an unbeliever while not believing lives in fear of God.
I know before i believed i can never recall myself fearing God , i actually believed when you was dead and buried that was it, i think not having any religious influence in my family probably helped.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
The same reason they supress the truth of a Creator in unrighteousness. Belief is irrelevant, they know the truth.
Now, Brother, A coworker i knew when i was working on Radars on a Goverment Contract, Thomas Templeton, wholey did not only not believe in God, but , did not believe in any religion whatsoever, i know of many who profess the Faith that insist there is no true Atheist and write books about it.......They consider religion to be fables that gave early man comfort of the unknown....and that we no longer need them in this age of reason......These are the fools that say there is no God....These are the fools that believe in evolution, the big bang and life on other planets. and ghosts.........

Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Of course they do.......evolution is just as magical and super-natural, "life came from non-life" a scientist put it perfect, He said, all we have is evolution because the alternative is unacceptible. If a atheist admits there is a God then He must admit that God will hold them accountable and atheists don't like that, they don't like the idea of someone having power over them and that they are not accountable only to themselves.
no they don't...if they did they would be Agnostic not Atheist..........

Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
no they don't...if they did they would be Agnostic not Atheist..........
Yes they would, wouldn't they- why do they call themselves atheist? why not agnostic? To be an atheist you are making the claim that there is no God, that means you have been every where in the universe, behind the moon, under the sun to make a claim that there is no God. That is a big claim, a claim of defiance. Many atheists use to be "Christian" did they somehow lose the knowledge of God?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 11-17-2009 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Now, Brother, A coworker i knew when i was working on Radars on a Goverment Contract, Thomas Templeton, wholey did not only not believe in God, but , did not believe in any religion whatsoever, i know of many who profess the Faith that insist there is no true Atheist and write books about it.......They consider religion to be fables that gave early man comfort of the unknown....and that we no longer need them in this age of reason......These are the fools that say there is no God....These are the fools that believe in evolution, the big bang and life on other planets. and ghosts.........
I beg to differ, they believe in the religion of atheism. Takes just as much belief as any other religion. The belief that there is no God, no accountability gives them comfort as well. Atheists are rebels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity