Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times

Advertisements

So, you think you are no longer bound to obey the Law...?...

James 2:
10) For whosoever shall keep the whole Law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11) For he that said, Do not committ adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou committ no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the Law.
12) So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the Law of liberty.
13) Foe He shall have judgement without mercy, that hath showed noe mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgement.
14) What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15) If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16) And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warned and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17) even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.
19) Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20) But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Rebellion is one of the most powerful strategies Satan uses today to defeat Christians and keep them from taking possession of their spiritual inheritance.
Our entire relationship with God is based upon obedience. If there is no obedience, there can be no relationship. Our God, Who is altogether holy, pure and undefiled, cannot be joined together as one in covenant relationship with those who are disobedient and rebellious. Disobedience and rebellion cut off communication and separate us from God.
Satan's strategy is to deceive and lead Christians into rebellion against God and His Word. Rebellion is opposing or disobeying designated authority. When an individual rebels against God or His Word, he asserts his will above the will of God. Rebellion against God basically involves two different areas of disobedience:

1) Whenever a Christian does something that is contrary to the Word of God or to a specific directive God has spoken directly to him;
2) A failure or refusal to act upon the Word of God.

God gave us specific commandments throughout His Word in addition to the ten commandments. Whenever we fail or refuse to act on any of the things God instructed us to do in His word, or fail to act when He speaks directly to us giving us specific direction, we are rebelling against God...and it is sin.

The Law of God set forth to us in His Word is an expression of His will. To disobey even one commandment is to be guilty of breaking the whole Law. Every act of disobedience, regardless of how small or insignificant it may seem, in God's eyes is as great a sin as idolatry or great wickedness.

There is NO substitute for obedience. None of the sacrifices we make of ourselves...our time, talents, money...are accepted by God as a substitute for full single-minded obedience to the clear commands He has laid out for us in His Word. Jeremiah 7:23 states: "But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be My people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you. When Saul disobeyed and later worshipped God by offering a sacrifice to Him, God rejected his offering...just as He rejected Israel's burnt offerings because of their disobedience (1 Samuel 15:22-23)

So, you think that that since you no longer live under the Law but under grace, you are no longer bound to live your life in obedience to the Law. The truth is that Jesus did not come to destroy the Law but to fulfill it. He fulfilled it by living in 100 percent obedience to all the commandments of the Law. Under the New Covenant we are not only bound to obey the Law (the ten commandments), we are required to obey ALL the commands that God has set forth in His Word.

When the Pharisees and Sadducees asked Jesus which commandment was the greatest in the Law, Jesus told them, "...'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself,' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

The whole Law is based upon two commandments. When we love God with all our heart, soul and mind, we will be anxious to obey Him and walk in obedience to His Word. When we love our neighbors as ourselves, we will not lie, steal, kill or commit adultery.

In Christ,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Default Confusion

Don't you see it Verna?! The confusion of the Bible? One minute it is you MUST keep the law! The next minute it is "you can hang the whole law on two commandments!" So which is it?! Those two commandments have nothing to do with those insane OT laws. What does mixing linen and wool have to do with loving your neighbor or god?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Don't you see it Verna?! The confusion of the Bible? One minute it is you MUST keep the law! The next minute it is "you can hang the whole law on two commandments!" So which is it?! Those two commandments have nothing to do with those insane OT laws. What does mixing linen and wool have to do with loving your neighbor or god?
Romans 5-6 sums it up.. Also do a bible search for freedom.. We are free in Christ not burdened again to the law of the Israelites...

Sad.. very sad that some people perceive Christianity this way.. If anyone could keep all the commandments.. what need do we have for Grace?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:53 PM

740 posts, read 2,013,628 times
Grace and mercy are from Christ Himself. The law is to point people to God because there is only ONE that could keep the law perfectly. Since we are not perfect, and cannot keep every law perfectly, we have an intercessor and advocate with the Father thru Christ. If we repent and ask for forgiveness we are right with God. That is why Jesus made the law even harder... with the "You have heard it said" statements. And why he said: Mt 5:18 - For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. If you are depending solely on your obedience to the "law" to get you into heaven, you will hear "depart from me you doer's of iniquity" as the scribes and Pharisees will hear.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i could not agree more. of course part of that obediance is brevity.
not too much thinking & talking, mostly listening and obeying.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Quote:
When we love our neighbors as ourselves, we will not lie, steal, kill or commit adultery.
There is MUCH more to it than that!

Just because a person stays in a marriage and doesn't commit adultery, doesn't prove that you love your spouse....some Christians stay married but hate each other.

There is much more to "love your neighbor as yourself," than not lying, stealing something from them, or committing adultery.

Last edited by Sundance; 10-21-2009 at 06:26 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 06:31 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
So, you think you are no longer bound to obey the Law...?...

James 2:
10) For whosoever shall keep the whole Law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11) For he that said, Do not committ adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou committ no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the Law.
12) So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the Law of liberty.
13) Foe He shall have judgement without mercy, that hath showed noe mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgement.
14) What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15) If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16) And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warned and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17) even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.
19) Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20) But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Rebellion is one of the most powerful strategies Satan uses today to defeat Christians and keep them from taking possession of their spiritual inheritance.
Our entire relationship with God is based upon obedience. If there is no obedience, there can be no relationship. Our God, Who is altogether holy, pure and undefiled, cannot be joined together as one in covenant relationship with those who are disobedient and rebellious. Disobedience and rebellion cut off communication and separate us from God.
Satan's strategy is to deceive and lead Christians into rebellion against God and His Word. Rebellion is opposing or disobeying designated authority. When an individual rebels against God or His Word, he asserts his will above the will of God. Rebellion against God basically involves two different areas of disobedience:

1) Whenever a Christian does something that is contrary to the Word of God or to a specific directive God has spoken directly to him;
2) A failure or refusal to act upon the Word of God.

God gave us specific commandments throughout His Word in addition to the ten commandments. Whenever we fail or refuse to act on any of the things God instructed us to do in His word, or fail to act when He speaks directly to us giving us specific direction, we are rebelling against God...and it is sin.

The Law of God set forth to us in His Word is an expression of His will. To disobey even one commandment is to be guilty of breaking the whole Law. Every act of disobedience, regardless of how small or insignificant it may seem, in God's eyes is as great a sin as idolatry or great wickedness.

There is NO substitute for obedience. None of the sacrifices we make of ourselves...our time, talents, money...are accepted by God as a substitute for full single-minded obedience to the clear commands He has laid out for us in His Word. Jeremiah 7:23 states: "But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be My people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you. When Saul disobeyed and later worshipped God by offering a sacrifice to Him, God rejected his offering...just as He rejected Israel's burnt offerings because of their disobedience (1 Samuel 15:22-23)

So, you think that that since you no longer live under the Law but under grace, you are no longer bound to live your life in obedience to the Law. The truth is that Jesus did not come to destroy the Law but to fulfill it. He fulfilled it by living in 100 percent obedience to all the commandments of the Law. Under the New Covenant we are not only bound to obey the Law (the ten commandments), we are required to obey ALL the commands that God has set forth in His Word.

When the Pharisees and Sadducees asked Jesus which commandment was the greatest in the Law, Jesus told them, "...'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself,' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

The whole Law is based upon two commandments. When we love God with all our heart, soul and mind, we will be anxious to obey Him and walk in obedience to His Word. When we love our neighbors as ourselves, we will not lie, steal, kill or commit adultery.

In Christ,
Verna.
You just totally missed the boat here Verna...this is not about obedience to rules it is about LOVE. When we love, when we walk "IN LOVE", that is the fulfillment of all the commandments. Even if we could follow every rule in perfect obedience to God...if we have NO LOVE...it means absolutely NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH to God.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You just totally missed the boat here Verna...this is not about obedience to rules it is about LOVE. When we love, when we walk "IN LOVE", that is the fulfillment of all the commandments. Even if we could follow every rule in perfect obedience to God...if we have NO LOVE...it means absolutely NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH to God.
^Exactly.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 AM

988 posts, read 1,902,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

It sounds like you are saying that "love" is something distinct from keeping God's commandments.

On the contrary...

1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me

One of Satan's great deceptions is that the love of God is something different from keeping His commandments. Which leads to the mindset that I could love God even though I am breaking His commandments.

HK

Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
It sounds like you are saying that "love" is something distinct from keeping God's commandments.

On the contrary...

1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me

One of Satan's great deceptions is that the love of God is something different from keeping His commandments. Which leads to the mindset that I could love God even though I am breaking His commandments.

HK
I guess you're in the same boat as Verna. LOVE...pure LOVE is following the commandements. When we "WALK IN PERFECT LOVE" are not all of the commandements fulfilled? I love God with all my heart, soul and mind and I love my neighbor as myself...is this not the fulfillment of the commandements?

Following commandments/rules doesn't mean anything to God if our HEART is not right. Following rules is exactly what Jesus freed us from...they couldn't do it and neither can we. Like I said earlier...I can follow all the rules to the letter and obey them perfectly but if I have NO LOVE IN MY HEART FOR OTHERS....that is just filthy rags to God and means nothing. We are commanded to LOVE others the way God LOVES us...if we are not doing this, then we are NOT following His commandments. We are not walking in "THE WAY" Jesus showed us to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity