U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 AM

823 posts, read 1,081,882 times

Advertisements

When Jesus was on earth he was not worshiped as God, but was considered merely as a “son of God,” in the sense that in him were imposed the truths of the Father and many of His wonderful and mysterious powers. Jesus did not proclaim to be God; neither did he permit any of his disciples to believe that he was God, but only that he was His beloved son, sent to proclaim to mankind God’s truths and show them the way to the love of the Father. He was no different from other men, except that he possessed this love of God to a degree which made him free from sin, and prevented the evils that formed a part of the nature of men from becoming a part of his nature.
No man who believes that Jesus is God has a knowledge of the truth, or is obeying the commandments of God by worshiping Jesus. Such worshipers are doing the cause of God and Jesus’ teachings great injury; for many a man would have become a true believer in and worshiper of the Father and a follower of his teachings had not this erroneous doctrine been interpolated into the Bible. It was not with Jesus’ authority, or in consequence of his teachings that such doctrine was promulgated or believed in. Jesus is a son of the Father, as you are; and while he was always free from sin and error, yet you are His son also, and if you will seek earnestly and pray to the Father with faith, you may become as free from sin and error as Jesus was then, and is now.
The Father is Himself, alone. There is no other God besides Him, and no other God to be worshiped. Jesus was and is his teacher of truth, and Jesus is “the way, the truth and the life,” (John 14.6) because in him are those qualities of goodness and knowledge which fit Jesus to show the way and lead men to eternal life in the Father, and to teach them that God has prepared a kingdom in which they may live forever, if they so desire.

No man can come to the Father’s love, except he be born again. (John 3.3) This is the great and fundamental truth for men to learn and believe, for without this “new birth” men cannot partake of the divine essence of God’s love, which, when possessed by a man, makes him at-one with the Father. This love comes to man by the workings of the holy spirit, which causes this love to flow into his heart and soul, filling it, so that all sin and error is eradicated.
Let not men think that by any effort of their own they can come into this union with the Father, because they cannot. No river can rise higher than its source, and no man who has only the natural love (and that, often filled with sin and error) can of his own powers cause that natural love to partake of the divine. Man is a mere creature, and cannot create anything higher than himself; and so man cannot rise to the nature of the divine unless the divine first comes into that man and makes him a part of its own divinity.
All men who do not get a part of this divine essence will be left in their natural state; and while they may progress to higher degrees of goodness and happiness and freedom from sin, yet they will be only natural men still.

He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:43 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,558,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The way I understand His workings is that if you adhere to the bible, He will teach from that book. If you read the Quaran, He will teach from that. It all depends on the soul condition of the person and what they hold dear. To you, the bible is the word. To me, Divine Love is the word. To a Jew, the Torah. See. We all have our truths and each religion/belief has part of God's truths.

I disagree with your original post because my beliefs are different than yours. It doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong. It merely means our soul condition is different.

At some point in time, maybe a billion years, you and I may see things the same. Until then, we will both travel our own paths.
Though I may communicate it differently, I agree - and the bible is not the word of God literally - Jesus is the Word.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,111,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Wait a minute.

Is June actually moderating a thread here in which everyone actually AGREES!?

YouTube - Handel - Hallelujah: 14/04/2009: 250TH ANNIVERSARY OF HANDEL'S DEATH
Looks can be deceiving...

Blessings in all your moderating, June!
brian

Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 AM

26,246 posts, read 14,113,453 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
A precious member and I were discussing the differences we have on this forum of believers. Now that the lines are being drawn again, I thought I would list four staples of the Christian faith. As God is my strength, I will never stray from these:

1. God the Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

2. The blood of Jesus for the remission of sins

3. There is one mediator between God and man: Christ Jesus

4. Jesus is the way, truth, and the life - apart from Him, there is no other name by which men can be saved.

There are obviously many other issues that we may differ on, but it's these points that we build upon as Christians.

What say you - do these four points stray from your belief?
I add in the following
  • Inerrancy of Scripture (2 Tim. 3:16, 2 Pet. 1:21)
  • Virgin birth / deity of Christ (Isa. 7:14; Matt. 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-38; Col. 1:15-20; Heb. 1:3, 8)
  • Sinless life of Christ (Heb. 4:15)
  • Substitutionary death of Christ (Rom. 5:6-8; 2 Cor. 5:21)
  • Bodily resurrection of Christ (Luke 24:36-43; 1 Cor. 15:1-11)
  • Ascension of Christ / present ministry to the believer (Acts 1:6-9; John 14:12-21; Rom. 8:34; Eph. 4:7-10)
  • The future literal return of Christ (John 14:1-3; 1 Thess. 4:13-18)

Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM

8,250 posts, read 10,013,904 times
Default Repentance and Submission to Christ's Lordship

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
A precious member and I were discussing the differences we have on this forum of believers. Now that the lines are being drawn again, I thought I would list four staples of the Christian faith. As God is my strength, I will never stray from these:

1. God the Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

2. The blood of Jesus for the remission of sins

3. There is one mediator between God and man: Christ Jesus

4. Jesus is the way, truth, and the life - apart from Him, there is no other name by which men can be saved.

There are obviously many other issues that we may differ on, but it's these points that we build upon as Christians.

What say you - do these four points stray from your belief?
Good list! There is one additional irreducible truth that should probably be inserted between 2-3 or after 4. That is 'Repentance of Sin and Submission to Christ's Lordship. One cannot have a 'Savior', unless they first recognize their own sin.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,111,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Good list! There is one additional irreducible truth that should probably be inserted between 2-3 or after 4. That is 'Repentance of Sin and Submission to Christ's Lordship. One cannot have a 'Savior', unless they first recognize their own sin.
I think it was Little Elmer who gave the beautiful analogy of a man dead in the water... and the one who came and gave him life again.

I think we don't know what sin is all about until He shows us first.

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,558,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I think we don't know what sin is all about until He shows us first.
That's correct - the Spirit came to convict the world of sin (John 16:8). But some prefer to beat people over the head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or