U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 01:16 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,108,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Amen to that....I am also in the bible belt and people look at you like you have a third eye when you tell them you don't go to a building called a church on Sunday.

Yes, it's like you have a third eye . . . great way of putting it . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Too often we only ask what the church can do for us?
Should we not also think about what we can do for the church as well?

We have become a faith of religious "consumers"
But Jesus is among the number of us that serve....
This is so true. A friend of mine once told me that he was complaining to God about all the stuff at the church he was attending that he disagreed with, and God let him go on and on for a while, then He simply said, "Don, it's not about you."

Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,486,284 times
Without the church, how would one receive the foundation of truth?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM

30,170 posts, read 19,964,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Without the church, how would one receive the foundation of truth?
Jesus is the foundation of truth (The reality of God).He said I am the way , the truth and the life .John 14 verse 6

He also said learn of me Matt 11 verse 29

The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being. Hebrews 1 verse 3

Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,486,284 times
No the church is the pillar of truth.

1Tim3:15

Old 10-28-2009, 05:16 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,771,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Do you have to attend a church to be a Christian?
I hope not. The opposite might be true!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM

30,170 posts, read 19,964,744 times
Quote:

No a pillar of the truth and not the pillar of truth ,this is what has formed all denomination that exist , the church believing it's the truth.

The church is built on truth(the reality of God) , the church is not the truth.

15and if I delay, that thou mayest know how it behoveth [thee] to conduct thyself in the house of God, which is an assembly of the living God -- a pillar and foundation of the truth

The church is built upon the reality of Christ Himself

17Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter,c and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hadesd will not overcome it

Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,578,277 times
Very good posts.. Yes... there are churches reaching out and doing a lot of good things but for the most part I think that the Church is in need of a make-over. Like I said on an earlier post we cannot be effective as a church until we are effective as individuals and it has to start with our own personal relationship with Christ. I am saddened when I see people and churches that mis-represent Jesus by acting just like the world.

One more thing. I don't think there is anything wrong with a Pastor having a nice home or car for that matter as long as his/her heart is right with God and he/she is giving to others first. I personally knew a Pastor who was given a nice car from his congregation because he did so much for the church. The church got together and gave him a new car. There is nothing wrong with recieving a gift.

Also I think it is ridiculous that God's people get junk when the world gets the nice things. I do not agree with that either. God never said we couldn't enjoy nice things, He just said to not idolize them.. God Bless you guysand have a great weekend.. We are truly sons and daughters of the Living God if we believe Him by Faith... John 3:16. Think about that promise.. Wow, we have so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Well, that's nice to hear that there's a church somewhere that is reaching out to the community instead of building *yet another* fancy church building, or buying a Mercedes for the pastor to tool around in.......

Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You get inspiration out of it. You will not grow to spiritual maturity on your own. Unless you have the gift of Pastor/teacher you simply don't have the ability to dig out and discern the doctrines of the word of God.

You will never know how much is in the Bible that you simply are not aware of without being under the teaching of a man with the God given gift of pastor/teacher, who has studied and trained for years in the original languages, and in the methods of isogogical, categorical and exegetical teaching of the word of God.
While I have great respect for the office of pastor, believe they are ordained of God, very helpful to the flock, and love mine dearly and learn much from him, I do not see in the Bible where it says that the regular old Joe Christian in the pew doesn't "have the ability to dig out and discern the doctrines of the word of God." In fact, here's what I see that the Bible says about that:

27But as for you, the anointing (the sacred appointment, the unction) which you received from Him abides [[o]permanently] in you; [so] then you have no need that anyone should instruct you. But just as His anointing teaches you concerning everything and is true and is no falsehood, so you must abide in (live in, never depart from) Him [being [p]rooted in Him, knit to Him], just as [His anointing] has taught you [to do].
I John 2:27 (Amplified Bible)

But, in case anyone missed it, I am NOT arguing against going to church:

Originally Posted by alanMolstad
Too often we only ask what the church can do for us?
Should we not also think about what we can do for the church as well?

We have become a faith of religious "consumers"
But Jesus is among the number of us that serve....

My reply: This is so true. A friend of mine once told me that he was complaining to God about all the stuff at the church he was attending that he disagreed with, and God let him go on and on for a while, then He simply said, "Don, it's not about you."

Old 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Quote:

And who is the church?

Anyone? Anyone?

The church is not a building you go to on Sunday DNick....the church are all the individual believers who are one body under Christ.

Being in the "church" is not about us....it's about the people around us, those we come in contact with each and every day....it's not about being in a building on Sunday....it's about being in the world and sharing the Gospel of Jesus love with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or