U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 PM

454 posts, read 1,208,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Do you have to attend a church to be a Christian?
No, but you do have to be naiive and the abilility to put aside logic!
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 2,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
That is the biggest crock of poopie I have ever seen posted on this forum....while there may be some who are as you described....it is not all of us.
Of course it is a big crock of .... Do you think that I expected you to agree with me? I read every one of these posts before I responded – I knew you would get angry – and I knew you would miss the whole point. I knew that if I attacked you the way that you have attacked the organized church that you would miss the whole point. The point was, I said that you have no right to judge people inside the church anymore than I have a right to judge people outside the church by saying that what I wrote about them was true for all who don’t go to church. You can say that my experience is the biggest crock of ..., just as I can say that everything you say concerning your experience is the biggest crock of..., but I don’t think it makes either one of us right.

I know there are some bad churches out there. A lot of them take their cue from TV preaching; health, wealth and prosperity. And I know there are some people out there who hate church and I know it’s because they do not want to line their lives up with God’s will. But that doesn’t mean every church is bad, and every person who chooses not to go to church is bad.

You have had some bad experiences in church, thus all churches are just like the one(s) you experienced. I don’t believe that’s true. I happen to go to a church where the pastor preaches every Sunday about sin, and how to love and live for the Lord; and how to love your neighbor. And believe me the church isn’t packed. But he keeps living and loving and leading people to the Lord

I wonder how many of you who hate the church so much gave to the needy this past year, not just this past Christmas, but during the whole year. How much of your money goes to make a “spiritual” difference in someone’s life. That’s what really matters. The Bible is not a book about the physical only, but the spiritual also.

Special Note: Paul went to certain cities and churches were born – letters were written back to these churches. People had to gather together to hear the letters read - there was an order to the church service, and there were leaders and preachers and prophets, and teachers. Read through what he wrote; it’s in there.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Perhaps you are not like these others, but something tells me that perhaps you are. Especially the way you slander those who do not practice organized religion.

Why am I a slanderer? I just told you my experience with the "organized church haters". Because I speak my experience that is slander? When people on this forum speak against the church isn’t that slander also? Do we have a double standard here?

Like others you missed my point. Go back and read my post. My point is you folks have no right to judge and criticize the organized church anymore that I have a right to say that what I wrote is true about all those who do not go to church. You do not have a God given right to lump all churches in the same category; likewise I don’t have a right to lump all you who love God and don’t go to church in the same category.

As I stated to someone else, I go to a church where they pastor preaches against sin. He is not into health, wealth and prosperity. He teaches Biblical Truths; he’s not very popular; his church is not the biggest in town; but he is faithful to God.

One thing I notice about the “organized church haters” is that they are allowed to speak against the church all they want, but God forbid if someone should speak up for the church. My opinion is no more a crock of... than the next person. I have a right to speak....

Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,128,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServingHim View Post
Of course it is a big crock of .... Do you think that I expected you to agree with me? I read every one of these posts before I responded Ė I knew you would get angry Ė and I knew you would miss the whole point. I knew that if I attacked you the way that you have attacked the organized church that you would miss the whole point. The point was, I said that you have no right to judge people inside the church anymore than I have a right to judge people outside the church by saying that what I wrote about them was true for all who donít go to church. You can say that my experience is the biggest crock of ..., just as I can say that everything you say concerning your experience is the biggest crock of..., but I donít think it makes either one of us right.

I know there are some bad churches out there. A lot of them take their cue from TV preaching; health, wealth and prosperity. And I know there are some people out there who hate church and I know itís because they do not want to line their lives up with Godís will. But that doesnít mean every church is bad, and every person who chooses not to go to church is bad.

You have had some bad experiences in church, thus all churches are just like the one(s) you experienced. I donít believe thatís true. I happen to go to a church where the pastor preaches every Sunday about sin, and how to love and live for the Lord; and how to love your neighbor. And believe me the church isnít packed. But he keeps living and loving and leading people to the Lord

I wonder how many of you who hate the church so much gave to the needy this past year, not just this past Christmas, but during the whole year. How much of your money goes to make a ďspiritualĒ difference in someoneís life. Thatís what really matters. The Bible is not a book about the physical only, but the spiritual also.

Special Note: Paul went to certain cities and churches were born Ė letters were written back to these churches. People had to gather together to hear the letters read - there was an order to the church service, and there were leaders and preachers and prophets, and teachers. Read through what he wrote; itís in there.
I absolutely have a right to judge churches I've been to, when there are unbiblical things going on which shouldn't be. We are to live and worship by Gods standards and that is where my loyalty lies....not to some man made institution....so we have a difference of opinion on that. See...I don't give a flip what man thinks about me and why I choose not to be involved in churchianity....I only care about pleasing God and I know that when I stand before Him I will not have to explain why I compromised His standards of worship just to fit in.

As far as giving is concerned.....don't get me started. I've seen mega churches as well as small churches spend the money they receive (which should be used for the poor, widows and orphans) on THEMSELVES and their churchianity empires and entertainment....this you cannot deny. My giving goes to organizations and individuals who actually help the poor, widows and orphans. I know that 100% of what I give is actually used for the purposes it was intended. We are commanded to do this and I make darn sure I am being a good steward of the money God provides me with.

Special note: I have a bible....so gathering together to read letters is not necessary. I only have ONE FATHER, ONE MASTER & ONE TEACHER according to Jesus....that's who I'll stick with and not with Paul. Apparently you give Paul more authority than Jesus.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I absolutely have a right to judge churches I've been to, when there are unbiblical things going on which shouldn't be. We are to live and worship by Gods standards and that is where my loyalty lies....not to some man made institution....so we have a difference of opinion on that. See...I don't give a flip what man thinks about me and why I choose not to be involved in churchianity....I only care about pleasing God and I know that when I stand before Him I will not have to explain why I compromised His standards of worship just to fit in.

As far as giving is concerned.....don't get me started. I've seen mega churches as well as small churches spend the money they receive (which should be used for the poor, widows and orphans) on THEMSELVES and their churchianity empires and entertainment....this you cannot deny. My giving goes to organizations and individuals who actually help the poor, widows and orphans. I know that 100% of what I give is actually used for the purposes it was intended. We are commanded to do this and I make darn sure I am being a good steward of the money God provides me with.

Special note: I have a bible....so gathering together to read letters is not necessary. I only have ONE FATHER, ONE MASTER & ONE TEACHER according to Jesus....that's who I'll stick with and not with Paul. Apparently you give Paul more authority than Jesus.
God bless you

Old 12-30-2009, 04:35 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,532,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have issues with several denom's, but was wondering if I really have to attend a church?
No.

But if you want to grow in the knowledge of Him so that your love may abound yet more and more, read the scriptures in learning about Jesus Christ, leaning on Him for the wisdom in understanding His words as kept by those that loved Him and His words in the King James Bible in keeping the actual meaning of His words for your edification and your discernment to help you keep the faith from that which is not of the faith in Christ.

John 5: 39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Matthew 11: 25At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: ....

9And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.
You can always hold a Bible study in your home with those you deemed like-minded in Christ with you to have fellowship, building each other up in the faith that is in Jesus Christ.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,128,346 times
Quote:
God bless you
He does each and every day and I am extremely thankful to Him.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:12 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,213,393 times
Quote:
Why am I a slanderer? I just told you my experience with the "organized church haters". Because I speak my experience that is slander? When people on this forum speak against the church isn’t that slander also? Do we have a double standard here?

Like others you missed my point. Go back and read my post. My point is you folks have no right to judge and criticize the organized church anymore that I have a right to say that what I wrote is true about all those who do not go to church. You do not have a God given right to lump all churches in the same category; likewise I don’t have a right to lump all you who love God and don’t go to church in the same category.

As I stated to someone else, I go to a church where they pastor preaches against sin. He is not into health, wealth and prosperity. He teaches Biblical Truths; he’s not very popular; his church is not the biggest in town; but he is faithful to God.

One thing I notice about the “organized church haters” is that they are allowed to speak against the church all they want, but God forbid if someone should speak up for the church. My opinion is no more a crock of... than the next person. I have a right to speak....
I have do not judge anyone. I only discern fruits ... And the people who go to church may need to be there. Though i personally suggest coming out of the organized church, i realize that many people are simply not capable of doing so. Many people are completely dependent on the organized church and cannot be weened of it ...

They need the affirmation and the security and the authority of the organized ministry and the congregation. They need to belong to something bigger than themselves, to assimilate to a larger external "ID"(in the sense of Jung and Edinger) ... I respect that and i understand it ... God has a purpose and a time for everything under heaven ... However i do believe that there will be a time when this form of worship will be abolished.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 PM

193 posts, read 264,588 times
Smile "How to Inherit Eternal Life"

Luke 10:25-37

v25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

v27 And he answering said, THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL THY MIND; and THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF.

comment: This is the first and last commands bound into one and cannot be separated, for you cannot truly love GOD if you don't love your neighbor as you love yourself. It's like having a pair of pants rendered useless with only one leg. Gird up your loins and I shall instruct you!

v28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

v29 But he willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

v30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

v31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

v32 And likewise a Levite (modern pastor or preacher), when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

v33 But a certain Samaritan (John 4:20-24), as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him.

v34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

v35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

v36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among thieves?

v37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then Jesus said unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

c: The Samaritans were the tribe of Manasseh (son of Joseph) who were despised in Jerusalem for they did not adhere to the Temple of Solomon. They were not church goers but loved and worshipped GOD in Spirit.

God Bless!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM

193 posts, read 264,588 times
Quote:
Quote:
that's who I'll stick with and not with Paul. Apparently you give Paul more authority than Jesus.
You have hit (bulls eye) the most salient point! I applaud you

Last edited by life23; 01-18-2010 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: wrong quote symbol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or