Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:12 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

The "ourselves" is Christians I am not bending scripture look at the context, he is talking to and about Christians in these passages. When the Christians assemble (of course to worship) we must not forsake and they do so every Sunday. He is not saying when ever a group of ppl get together for any reason that is insane.
You're still twisting scripture here....where does it say the assembling occurs in a church building on Sunday? When I assemble with fellow Christians, we exhort one another, we edify one another, we teach and learn with one another, we worship, we sing, we pray....where does it say that what I'm doing is not fulfilling that scripture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
Plus, if God is number one in our lives, why would we not go to church if we are able? I think it is an attitude problem. Why would you not want to worship God with the saints? The disciples met often and did so, not alone. Look at Acts 20:7 for one example.

Hmmmm......maybe because most churches are loaded with your typical hypocrits....maybe because when they collect money, they only spend it on themselves....maybe there are way too many cliques.....maybe because they don't actually teach anything worth spiritually having....I could go on and on...but I won't. The operative word is GOD. GOD is #1...not a building called a church.

If God had an issue with the way I worship Him...I am confident He would let me know.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:30 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Hmmmm......maybe because most churches are loaded with your typical hypocrits....maybe because when they collect money, they only spend it on themselves....maybe there are way too many cliques.....maybe because they don't actually teach anything worth spiritually having....I could go on and on...but I won't. The operative word is GOD. GOD is #1...not a building called a church.

If God had an issue with the way I worship Him...I am confident He would let me know.
We're all hypocrites!

You mean to tell me there are no churches in your area that preach Jesus first, last, & always?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
We're all hypocrites!

You mean to tell me there are no churches in your area that preach Jesus first, last, & always?
I didn't say "You're all hypocrits!"...please do not put words into my mouth.

Afraid not....they all have their little man made doctrines that they adhere to and expect you to also and when you don't they pretty much ostrasize you....not the kind of worship I want to be involved in.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
I've attended Sunday Worship Services faithfully for 22 years. While I admitt that the first 21 years taught me many spiritual precepts...and offered me a basic foundation...it wasn't a solid one...kinda like "shifting sand"...I remained so confused...none of the pieces of the "puzzle" came together...

..This past year has been the most phenominal year in my walk with the Lord that I do not have words to express how precious my relationship with God has been and is.

I love the people I've worshipped beside all these years...so many fond memories...precious memories. But nothing is more frustrating than to not be taught the truth of God's Word all those years. God had a plan though...He allowed me to go through all these past years and hear all the "half truth's"...and all the "lies"...sermons filled with manipulation...all the while leaving out everything that would have taken the confusion away...leaving out what God's will is for my life, not man's, and leaving out what God truly desires of me, instead of what man desires of me...so that I would have something to compare His awesome truth to..and compare my life and my relationship with Him now..as oppossed to what it used to be.

Here is my thread that explains all that I have been through this past year...if you're interested...

..."If I hear this one more time..

I still go to my church on Sundays because I am on the Praise and Worship Team...so many musicians have left, that we are down to a drummer...a keyboard player...a guitarist...and three singers, of which I am the alto part. This IS my ministry, and always has been...praise and worship is my heart...and praying with people. I am taking each day as it comes.

I observe the Sabbath from Friday night to Saturday night as well because it is one of the commandments of God to do so...and I observe them because I love God and this is how I show Him my love for Him...keeping His commandments is a delight...and I do...because of love.

In Christ,
Verna.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I've attended Sunday Worship Services faithfully for 22 years. While I admitt that the first 21 years taught me many spiritual precepts...and offered me a basic foundation...it wasn't a solid one...kinda like "shifting sand"...I remained so confused...none of the pieces of the "puzzle" came together...

..This past year has been the most phenominal year in my walk with the Lord that I do not have words to express how precious my relationship with God has been and is.

I love the people I've worshipped beside all these years...so many fond memories...precious memories. But nothing is more frustrating than to not be taught the truth of God's Word all those years. God had a plan though...He allowed me to go through all these past years and hear all the "half truth's"...and all the "lies"...sermons filled with manipulation...all the while leaving out everything that would have taken the confusion away...leaving out what God's will is for my life, not man's, and leaving out what God truly desires of me, instead of what man desires of me...so that I would have something to compare His awesome truth to..and compare my life and my relationship with Him now..as oppossed to what it used to be.

Here is my thread that explains all that I have been through this past year...if you're interested...

..."If I hear this one more time..

I still go to my church on Sundays because I am on the Praise and Worship Team...so many musicians have left, that we are down to a drummer...a keyboard player...a guitarist...and three singers, of which I am the alto part. This IS my ministry, and always has been...praise and worship is my heart...and praying with people. I am taking each day as it comes.

I observe the Sabbath from Friday night to Saturday night as well because it is one of the commandments of God to do so...and I observe them because I love God and this is how I show Him my love for Him...keeping His commandments is a delight...and I do...because of love.

In Christ,
Verna.
I'm happy you are able to stay in a church where there is so much "shifting sand"....my spirit won't allow me to stay in a place where that occurs. Since I've left institutionalized church I have matured and grown more spiritually than I ever have sitting in a pew on Sunday. God has graciously provided what I need to edify and grow me and I wouldn't change a thing...that's not to say that I would never step foot in a church again but it is not something that is required nor do I really need it.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:58 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I just love it when some twist and mangle scripture to make it say what they want it to say and try to foist their view on everyone else. Nowhere does that verse say I have to sit in a church pew every Sunday. Nowhere does it mandate that assembling together with fellow Christians has to happen in a building called a church. Did you miss the verse where it said...if 2 or 3 are gathered in my name....?????? From what I read...it didn't say if 2 or 3 are gathered in my name in a building called a church...LOL

I assemble with Christian people (the church) every day of the week...we have bible studies and discuss scriptural topics and pray for ourselves and others....we call it Prayer and Share.
Well, of course, as far as you go, you are correct. And I have said that assembling together in a home or anywhere else is fine. BUT, you need to be under the teaching of a pastor, wherever you choose to gather. That is the point of Eph. 4:11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as PASTORS AND TEACHERS, 12) FOR THE EQUIPPING OF THE SAINTS FOR THE WORK OF SERVICE, TO THE BUILDING UP OF THE BODY OF CHRIST; 13) UNTIL WE ALL ATTAIN TO THE UNITY OF THE FAITH, AND OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE SON OF GOD, TO A MATURE MAN, TO THE MEASURE OF THE STATURE WHICH BELONGS TO THE FULNESS OF CHRIST. 14) As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there bywaves, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; 15) but speaking the truth in love,, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ,''

Assembling together without a pastor-a man to whom God the Holy Spirit has given that spiritual gift for the purpose of teaching, is not going to do you any good. Now you may choose to disreqard what Eph. 4:11-16 says, but there it is...

Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:
Assembling together without a pastor-a man to whom God the Holy Spirit has given that spiritual gift for the purpose of teaching, is not going to do you any good.
Really? Because when myself and my two teenagers do House Church with our Bibles, we read passages and discuss what we have read....we get a great deal out of it!

Old 10-23-2009, 04:28 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
I didn't know I would get so many replies lol!!!

I should have mentioned where I am coming from on all of this. I was raised Catholic. My dad is die-hard Catholic still. My mom was Mormon, but I never saw her attend church. I attended church (Catholic) until I was 16 and my teenage years of doing anything but going to church kicked in. I then met my ex-wife who was raised Church of Christ. We got married and we attended that denom for about 3 years before we divorced. I then attended a Baptist church for a brief time and have not been to a church since. I found the constant threats of, "you better attend church or you are going to hell" to be a turn-off. And I won't even get into the issues with the Catholic church. I also found the actions of more than a few in these churches to be appauling. For example, people who are nice and friendly to you in church then you see them out in public and they say nothing to you. And I really can't stand those churches who focus on money. "We need to build this" and "We have to raise X amount for this". And there are some who view you as more of a sinner if you don't attend church. I have 100% DISAGREE with that thought. Since not attending church, I have remarried and have a 2 year old son. We have a great family life, I pray numerous times daily, and don't think I sin any more now than before. Anyway, we are all sinners. I would like to think God listens to me even if I don't attend church. I am not against going back to church, but will my bad luck streak with churches continue? Am I nervous and scared? Sure. Do I have plans anytime soon to find a church? Not really. I believe that things work out for themselves.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:32 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times
again, I see people always seeking to defend not going to church by patting themselves on the back for praying and reading the bible on their own....

That's not good enough kids....

The church is for each other.
A church of Monks that hide in their cells is of no use to the society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity