U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 05:55 PM

15,180 posts, read 8,240,362 times

Advertisements

One reason I belong to a local body is because, we can do more together. I belong to a medium large church (~4000 members). We are able to have a big impact on our community because we have the resources. Several years ago, we opened a free medical & dental clinic. It's been a smashing success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,886,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander M. View Post
I read the Bible and pray by myself, and that is enough for me. I have a personal relationship with God that only I can create and manage; no pastor or congregation can or should get in between me and my God. I think people should simply read the Bible themselves and reach their own conclusions about God.
This is the way that I feel too.

Additionally, I think that a lot of people erroneously believe that going to church makes them a better Christian. It does not.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,580,062 times
Being a better Christian is about being an obedient Christian whether in church or out... Simply put... we can read the Bible but if we don't walk in it or do the things that it says we aren't going to be prosperous... Unfortunately people make excuses for everything. And I think that sometimes "Church" and the comments and judgement of what it is or isn't has become a crutch to be lazy in our own personal life.. So what if there isn't any perfect churches?? There isn't going to be a perfect church because there isn't any perfect people including us...that is why we need Jesus.

We all need to quit talking about each other and looking outside and we need to start paying attention to our own heart and walk with God.. If we get this right "our own relationship with Christ" then perhaps the churches will be filled with people that have right relationships, thus working together in the manner that God would like it to function.. Does anyone hear what I am saying?

Basically it starts on a personal basis and then goes outside of ourselves (like a fountain springing up from an unpolluted well and spilling over). I could quote so much scripture right now but I will save it for later... Hopefully you are all getting the point.

I love my sister and brothers in Christ and together we could accomplish so much good if we could get this right. What kind of example are we becoming to the world? Our bickering and fighting and disagreement is not a good testimony. It is really a sad scene and Satan is having a hayday. As long as he can keep us divided than he can keep more souls out of the Kingdom.. Think about it. Look at this forum and read some of the discussions.. How can there be so much conflict when we all say we believe in the same thing?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,119,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Being a better Christian is about being an obedient Christian whether in church or out... Simply put... we can read the Bible but if we don't walk in it or do the things that it says we aren't going to be prosperous... Unfortunately people make excuses for everything. And I think that sometimes "Church" and the comments and judgement of what it is or isn't has become a crutch to be lazy in our own personal life.. So what if there isn't any perfect churches?? There isn't going to be a perfect church because there isn't any perfect people including us...that is why we need Jesus.

We all need to quit talking about each other and looking outside and we need to start paying attention to our own heart and walk with God.. If we get this right "our own relationship with Christ" then perhaps the churches will be filled with people that have right relationships, thus working together in the manner that God would like it to function.. Does anyone hear what I am saying?

Basically it starts on a personal basis and then goes outside of ourselves (like a fountain springing up from an unpolluted well and spilling over). I could quote so much scripture right now but I will save it for later... Hopefully you are all getting the point.

I love my sister and brothers in Christ and together we could accomplish so much good if we could get this right. What kind of example are we becoming to the world? Our bickering and fighting and disagreement is not a good testimony. It is really a sad scene and Satan is having a hayday. As long as he can keep us divided than he can keep more souls out of the Kingdom.. Think about it. Look at this forum and read some of the discussions.. How can there be so much conflict when we all say we believe in the same thing?
EXACTLY....some focus so much on "doctrine" but always seem to leave the most important part of what Jesus taught us....LOVE. LOVE is all we need to fulfill Gods will. If we love Him with all of our hearts, souls and minds and love our neighbor as ourselves....what more is there? Walking in LOVE...pure and umblemished LOVE....is our calling. Take a really good look at the "church" of the 1st century because that is our true model for how we are supposed to be walking in LOVE. Doing Gods will is not about building big fancy churches and sitting on our butts on Sunday listening to some luke warm sermon...it's about LOVING and HELPING EVERYONE IN NEED. Our biggest sin is our SELFISHNESS. When we quit thinking about ourselves and start truly thinking about the welfare of others....there will be no need for a "church building" because we will all be believers and a true community of believers who share and share alike....this is what the people of the 1st century did and what Jesus taught them to do. It's easy to tell poor people, a homeless person, a prostitute, a drug addicted person, a widow, orphans that God loves them...but what they really need and what God wants from us is that we show them God loves them by what we do for them, whether giving them a meal, clean clothes, a blanket, money, just talking to them, etc. We truly are Gods hands and feet in this world and the only way His light is ever going to shine brightly in this world is for all of us to start doing Gods true will.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 AM

15,180 posts, read 8,240,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
but what they really need and what God wants from us is that we show them God loves them by what we do for them, whether giving them a meal, clean clothes, a blanket, money, just talking to them, etc. We truly are Gods hands and feet in this world and the only way His light is ever going to shine brightly in this world is for all of us to start doing Gods true will.
Some churches (with buildings) do that.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 AM

1,895 posts, read 4,042,236 times
Quote:
One reason I belong to a local body is because, we can do more together. I belong to a medium large church (~4000 members). We are able to have a big impact on our community because we have the resources. Several years ago, we opened a free medical & dental clinic. It's been a smashing success.
Well, that's nice to hear that there's a church somewhere that is reaching out to the community instead of building *yet another* fancy church building, or buying a Mercedes for the pastor to tool around in.......

Old 10-26-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Some churches (with buildings) do that.
You are correct...SOME do....but ALL should be doing it.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,109,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
At present I am not a church goer . . . but I have seen the impact of churches in my community . . . . recently a church opened up a computer lab for free after school tutoring . . . for children at risk, and it has been very successful . . . all donations, and all volunteer their time . . that is love in action . . . I am not against attending a church building . . . . just have not found a good fit for me and my family.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
At present I am not a church goer . . . but I have seen the impact of churches in my community . . . . recently a church opened up a computer lab for free after school tutoring . . . for children at risk, and it has been very successful . . . all donations, and all volunteer their time . . that is love in action . . . I am not against attending a church building . . . . just have not found a good fit for me and my family.
AMEN.....disciple making is nothing more than......LOVE IN ACTION!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,109,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
AMEN.....disciple making is nothing more than......LOVE IN ACTION!
I agree Sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or