U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Kentucky
3,790 posts, read 7,580,741 times
Reputation: 2413

Advertisements

I have issues with several denom's, but was wondering if I really have to attend a church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,126,498 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have issues with several denom's, but was wondering if I really have to attend a church?
Absolutely and Unequivocally....NO. I have grown more spiritually in the last year that I've been away from Institutionalized church than I ever did in the many years going to church. Don't ever let anyone tell you that is a requirement to follow God because it is NOT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,764,479 times
Reputation: 58198
A lot of people here will tell you it is a requirement but I'm not going to tell you that. I have personally flourished more spiritually outside the walls of a church building and nowhere does it say in the Bible we must go to a building called "church" to ensure our salvation.

I was raised by an abusive religious fanatic that forced me to go to church and my experiences have never really been great with the many churches we attended, either because of my father or people in the church. I think it's a personal choice and has no bearing on your relationship with God.

I don't go to church. It's taken me years to undo the damage and brainwashing and I've learned.....by my own researching and studying......what the real truth is and my Lord loves me for me, not because I attend church. I watch certain church programs on Sunday so I get fed that way. I don't need the social slop that comes with the "churchies". I'm not against church in any way and if I felt led to go to one I would. I don't feel led.

I realize I'm a special case and I don't want to in any way deter you from church. A lot of people need it and thrive in it. I wish you well and prayers go out for you to find what YOU need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,492,706 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have issues with several denom's, but was wondering if I really have to attend a church?
The hottest coal pulled from the fire, cools quickly

The same for Christians who stop attending weekly church...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,405 posts, read 2,112,664 times
Reputation: 636
I am on fire for Jesus Christ.

I do not attend church regularly. I understand that the bible says we should assemble with other believers.

In my opinion, it is good to attend bible studies with other believers. I think it helps us on our spiritual journey . . .

In my opinion, Church, a Church family can be a good thing, it has been something I have wanted in my life . . . but have not found a good fit.

I have some doctrinal issues with some churches . . . and I feel like some churches we can't come as we are . . sneakers, jeans . ., and then there are other churches I am just not comfortable attending.

Your answer, I consider myself a Christian, and I am not a regular church attender . . .

But I disagree with Alan . . . I am more on fire for Jesus than ever, and I am not attached to a "building" . . . .and I desire to read my Bible every day, and to seek out a "real" relationship with Him, and I don't feel it requires a Pastor or Congregation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,586 posts, read 5,352,170 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have issues with several denom's, but was wondering if I really have to attend a church?

Well, to be a Christian means that you are following after Christ, for that is where the name came from. Christ-ian. Going to church does not make you a Christian. satans and demons attend church, but they are not christian.

Now by that being said, I think you can benefit from attending a church that God places you in. Now I did say a church that God places you in. Some people are in the wrong church, and they are hurt and damaged by what they experience in church.

I finally found the church that I am suppose to be in because God placed me there.

Christ is God and was bascially the church Himself, so the disciples could have never attended church, but had Christ and still would make it to heaven, because they had the one who mattered. It is not about a church building, but the person who it is all about.

If you are suppose to be in church, then God will tell you that. We can't tell you if you are to be in church or not, because we don't have the authority to do that. We can only give our opinion, but God has the last say so.

If you want to know if you have to attend church, then ask God, if He wants for you to attend church, He will tell you, because we really don't know what God wants for your life.

I attend church not for the building, but because God wants me to attend church. Honestly, if I didn't feel that God wanted me there, I wouldn't be there. I would just sit at home.

But since I know that God loves me and adores me and I feel that He wants me there, then I attend because of that. In that I worship Him there, but it doesn't stop there.

Since God loves me and does so much for me, I don't see the problem in attending church for Him. So, that is just my experience.

You may just have to ask God, if He would like for you to attend a church. If He does, He will direct you to one.

Make the decision that makes your Father happy. Seek Him for the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
15,246 posts, read 8,270,255 times
Reputation: 1548
Luke 4:16

He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read.

Acts 17:2

As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures.

Hebrews 10:25

Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer your question, going to church doesn't make you a Christian. You're a Christian if you truly believe in Jesus for forgiveness of your sins.

On the other hand, Scripture is clear we as believers should gather together with other believers for praise, worship, Bible study, edification, & the giving of our tithes & offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,835,683 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Luke 4:16

He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read.

Acts 17:2

As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures.

Hebrews 10:25

Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer your question, going to church doesn't make you a Christian. You're a Christian if you truly believe in Jesus for forgiveness of your sins.

On the other hand, Scripture is clear we as believers should gather together with other believers for praise, worship, Bible study, edification, & the giving of our tithes & offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,460,030 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
i have issues with several denom's, but was wondering if i really have to attend a church?
You have to get right with Christ and if it at all possible, find a bible believing group of individuals that practice what they preach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,492,706 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
But I disagree with Alan . . . .
Fine, but I'm not wrong about this however.

a lot of people tell me that they don't need to go to a church,
they believe they learn all they need to know on their own.
They claim that all they need is prayer and the Bible and that is enough.

My answer?

I was invited by a friend to go to his church one Sunday.
I would never join his church, but he is a friend and I just wanted to be nice, so I said "yes" and went with him that next Sunday.

They did speaking in tongues and all sorts of hand holding, and lots of stuff I just don't go in for.

About 1/2 way though the service I kept thinking to myself. "What am I don't here?'

Then after church I was just waiting for my friend to finish talking to someone when I struck up a conversation with this old lady.
She talked about her husband that had helped build this church, and how he had been dead for about 15 years by now.
I didn't have much to say to her in return, I mean she was really old and I never know how to act with really old people.

Then she told me that she had something heavy in her husbands shop that needed taken with a load out to the dump.
That got my attention because I like to lift heavy things for girls, and I drive a pickup truck....

so I helped her that next weekend clean the junk out of that small shop and gave her back another place to do things in.

That felt nice...

So what was my answer again?
Oh yes now I remember: , While we always say we don't need a church home for ourselves...sometimes it's nice to remember that "Church" is for each other.....


Things like doctrine, teachings, symbols, and vestments are how we tell each other apart in the church...but I hope such things are not what keep us apart.
You dont have to agree with the doctrine
Nor the teachings
nor like their use of symbols
or the clothes they wear.

Just being there, willing to be of service, that's the most important thing.
Too often we only ask what the church can do for us?
Should we not also think about what we can do for the church as well?

We have become a faith of religious "consumers"
But Jesus is among the number of us that serve....

Last edited by alanMolstad; 10-22-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top