U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:04 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,716,226 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,456,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
A friend said that Christians should never marry false idols.

Would you date someone of a different religious background?
Wow! June's been elevated to the level of being an idol!? She was so excited until she realized that it entailed being a 'false' one. That made her somewhat sad. --But hey, she's still an adorable one, nonetheless....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Never get connected too close to a girl outside your faith.
Alan, June has a question. -And yes, it's a real question:

Let's say June has a date tomorrow night. Let's say that June's date is a very devoted Christian. Let's say that we are both really looking forward to tomorrow night. Let's say that he is absolutely aware of the fact that June is a little 'just June' atheist. Obviously, June is aware of the fact that he is a devoted Christian. So the question is:

Should June phone him up tonight and challenge him as regards his having asked her out? Should June just phone him up and say to him "Listen, as much as I would love to go out with you tomorrow night, I don't think it's advisable in terms of your overall safety and well being. I'm so sorry you went and spent $100 per ticket for those Boston Symphony Orchestra seats." --And hope that he can still take his mother?

It's a serious question, despite June's framing it in a humorous way. Here's why: Perhaps (for all we know!) the 'impossible' could transpire over time, such that he and June, in (potentially) falling in love, would have the resulting outcome of June finally "seeing the light." --What about that scenario? What if June otherwise never came to 'see the light' except for the fact that she and this very devoted Christian ended up together? (And please don't tell June that it would only be "lust" or "the flesh." June may be adorable, but let's face it: It's a real question!) -And if you are inclined to tell June that "No, he should not have ever asked you out in the first place; he should have listened to me, Alan!") then my follow up question to you (and the OP, and everyone else) would be:

"Then but for the fact that June and this man dated one another, fell in love, etc., would it have been better for June to have remained a 'lost' and 'unsaved' individual who never came to your belief and faith?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Tony!

Get a grip!

-It's Friday night! Break out that thing you were gunna buy a frame for, re-read it, and carry on! Then go read the passage in the Bible that says "Love prevails." (June would provide the exact scripture passage, but she's preparing for tomorrow night's date. At June's age, it's a 24 hour venture, no matter how adorable one is!) Await other posts! Despair not! While the secular world would tell you "The jury's still out on this one" June, (in providing you with equal representation) will direct you again to the above mentioned passage...

Take gentle care.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:40 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,079,893 times
Hey June, go on the date, enjoy the Boston Symphony and if possible dinner afterwards and let your date worry about explaining it to his family, in the meantime enjoy the evening..........Don't try to over analyze it....

Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,433,791 times
Quote:
A friend said that Christians should never marry false idols. As a Christian, I guess I'll have to reconsider since 90 percent of the youth population is atheist, am I right?

Since Jesus and Mary were Jewish, guess that,at least. would be good enough for me.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 PM

15,236 posts, read 8,254,160 times
No!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,645,303 times
I'm married so "dating" doesn't apply. BUT it is forbidden by Scripture (1 Corinthians 7:39) and reckless for a Christian to marry outside the Christian faith. I see this all to often and it is either ignorance or rebellion for a Christian to do so.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:13 PM

7 posts, read 9,728 times
I knew a couple that were differnt beliefs and they made out just fine, and the children had a choice and liked that.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,456,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Hey June, go on the date, enjoy the Boston Symphony and if possible dinner afterwards and let your date worry about explaining it to his family, in the meantime enjoy the evening..........Don't try to over analyze it....
Oh Ptsum, June so loves your line of reasoning, especially that part about "dinner afterwards!" (June, asking herself: "Now why didn't June think of that!?")

P.S. June never, ever, EVER 'over analyzes' anything. It just ain't in a shrinks nature, ya know?

Take gentle 'good to see you back home' care.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:45 AM

580 posts, read 632,665 times
Quote:
A friend said that Christians should never marry false idols. As a Christian, I guess I'll have to reconsider since 90 percent of the youth population is atheist, am I right?

Let's see what God has to say....
2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
1 Corinthians 7:20 Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him.
12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord):
If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

So if you are not married, heed is taken to the first scripture. Why put yourself in the position of more hardship than necessary. Otherwise think it out before you marry a non-believer.
Also, has anyone ever heard of dating in scripture?
There are enough Christian functions to be together. And would it be better to see a person in action with others, then not? We have to be careful. There is a time and season to be alone, however there is less temptation, when you are with other believers. God will chose the person he wants for you. he will lead and there will be no doubt.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:52 AM

7,525 posts, read 14,557,853 times
Quote:
False idols
This implies there are idols that are not false....could you expand on this a bit?

Regarding marrying or dating outside your religion, I feel that so long as you remain within your species it is probably all right. The right match is hard enough to find without superfluous criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or