U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM

34,630 posts, read 42,792,739 times

Advertisements

I don't know what your friend was talking about, sounds like do it yourself religious philosophy, but I would not.
It is extremely important for a family to have a unified faith foundation-whatever that may be. Otherwise nobody believes in anything and the kids are all confused.
I found this to be true when I married a Catholic and I was a Baptist. Even within Christianity it's hard if you aren't of the same persuasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,257,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
My sister is a Pentecostal Christian. Her husband is a non-practicing (except for baptisms, marriages and funerals) Catholic. He refuses to let her take their children to her church, yet he will not accompany her to the Catholic church, which he insists they must attend until they make their Confirmations. She compromises by taking the kids to Catholic church on Sunday and going to her church alone for mid-week services. Needless to say, this puts a strain on an already-strained marriage.
I guess what he's doing makes sense in a way, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of it. I'm guessing that he values a Catholic upbringing, but is not particularly concerned about being active in the faith. A bit like non-Catholic families who want to send their kids to Catholic school because they find some value in being educated in that system.

Still religiously what he's doing seems more than a tad strange to me. By insisting his kids go to Church when he doesn't may send a strange. It might ether imply the Dad is a "bad man" who wants his kids to be "better than him" or that Catholicism is something you must try out but that staying in it is of no real importance.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,488,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Alan, June has a question. -And yes, it's a real question:

Let's say June has a date tomorrow night.......
So the question is:

Should June phone him up tonight and challenge him as regards his having asked her out? .
perhaps...

It's like this June,
I asked a ton of girls out , back in my day...

I asked girls to dance,
to go have a drink,
to let me buy them dinner, (Or breakfast too, you never know)

And the matter of their faith never once came up before i asked them out.
I mean, why would it?
I might have only seen the girl from across the room, and just asking them out is not like we are going to exchange vows or something.

But, as I narrowed the girl down that I wanted to go steady with, I would also start to bring up the normal questions about each others faith.

I have went out with girls of many different denominations, so i got nothing against a girl having slightly different views about Baptism or tongues etc.

However if a guy thinks he wants to marry a girl, and suddenly he learns that she has no Christian faith at all?
Run......run fast....

Dont look back...

That is the best advice to give that young boy. That he not get mixed up in what may turn out to be a marriage known only for the constant battles over what church to go to, what prayer to pray, what to say at Christmas over the dinner table of food, what Sunday school to take the kids to.

I would wish the Good Christian boy would find himself a Good Christian girl and have many fat children.

But, in the real world...
Boys sometimes marry girls that are clue-free about God, and then it just is something that he will need to teach her about

And if the girl is a good wife, she will sit at her husband's knee and listen to him talk to her about the Lord and will learn from him....that also is a husband's duty in the marriage.

So what was my answer then?
My answer is that I would not make a big deal out of just a date with a non-believer.
But if it gets serious you are asking for trouble to get too connected to someone that has such a vast disagreement with you over something you hold so close to your heart.

But if the heart is just too strong and you just got to marry that type of girl?...then teach her about God and you will be blessed from heaven!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,028 times
The Bible says don't marry poeple who aren't save over and over. That solomon who God named beloved The bible says he sinned against God by doing these things for the LOVE of these women. As for dating every meaning of this word is the effort to gain the love of someone, with the hope to or chance to marry. so why get attached to someone if God says don't marry them?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM

25,084 posts, read 13,921,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
No way! I've got enough troubles having married inside my religion!...

Bud
This is totally funny. I say let every man work out his own marriage.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM

574 posts, read 1,803,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
No, I would not. Shared beliefs, shared life goals, are fundamental to a good marriage. There may be some happily married couples of different faiths, but I imagine they are the exception, rather than the rule.

Besides, I wouldn't want to be with someone I could not share my faith with, that is the most important thing to me. That bonds you together.
I couldn't agree more!

Nancy

Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,224,274 times
I don't think I would.And I especially would not marry someone of Muslim faith (due to various reasons),nor would I ever live in a Muslim country,or wear a burka or cover my face or hair or whatnot,with any type of cloth or covering.I have my limits and I feel this is very demeaning to women,and furthermore ...I STAND UP FOR JESUS! Enough said.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:01 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,411,333 times
I think I would, but s/he cannot be the same ethnicity as I am, if that were the case.

Oh yes, have to respect my beliefs too instead of ragging on them...

Old 03-03-2010, 02:13 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,177,049 times
Ahhhhhhh, love. If one has ever had it, well then, one knows that it is a power beyond all powers. In love, I would marry any race, creed, ethnic, etc, I wouldn't care what anyone thought, even the god himself (oh, probably may end up sorry, but the cure for this type of love, of course, is to find it again right away). .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or