U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,117,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Before I would even respond to your OP, let me ask you this:

Do you know what being a "literalist" means? Do you understand the true meaning of the term "literalist"??

It is the same with the word fundamentalist. Being a fundamentalist means different things to different people, sometimes good and sometimes bad, depending on the POV. I myself am a fundamentalist in the sense that I believe in the funadmental tenants of the Christian faith. To others, being a fundamentalist is equivalent to being a member of the so called "Religious Right". Do you see what I mean?

To me, being a literalist simply means accepting the plain, straight-forward reading of the bible. All scripture is to be understood in light of context, place, audience, etc. If it's poetry, then understand it as poetry. If it's historic narrative, understand it as historic narrative. If it's a figure of speech, if it's a parable, if it's symbolism, to read and understand it as such.

For example, when Jesus says "I am the gate", he did not mean he was a literal wooden gate with a handle. When he said "... than a camel can pass through the eye of a needle", he didn't mean a literal needle eye, he meant the gate of a walled city called the eye of the needle. Many times people try to ascribe verses to non-believers when in fact the message was directed specifically at believers.

One has to take all the above into consideration when calling someone a literalist, at least my definition of a literalist. So do you understand why I cannot answer your OP until you tell me what you believe a literalist is?
When I said "literalist" I meant exactly what I said....someone who reads the words of Revelation and espouses that the literal reading will literally happening....for example, Jesus coming on the clouds so every eye will see Him....there are people who teach this will "literally" happen....that is what I'm talking about and so now that I have made that clear you can address the verses I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I understand completely . . . all the accumulated "wisdom of man" over the intervening 2000+ years must be discarded as foolishness to believe in your God and your explanation for Jesus. We can agree to disagree.

The underlying reality is the same, however . . . Jesus had to elevate His human consciousness into perfect resonance with God's consciousness (identical) by total control over His animal nature . . . no other human was able to do that. Jesus's death on the cross and His subsequent rebirth (resurrection) as Spirit (Holy Spirit) is what makes it possible for us to join God after our physical death and rebirth as Spirit under the grace and love of Jesus. There is no other way to God than through the consciousness and love of Jesus through the guidance of His Holy Spirit.
To put this in human carnal terms....you have to crucify your carnal self and live by the spirit...we cannot be one with the Father while we live by our carnal desires, lusts, wants, etc....correct?

Old 10-24-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
AISI the above is the definition of a fundamentalist literalist.

A fundamentalist literalist believes in a perfect flawless collection of books and thinks that all sixty six books exactly represents God in plain English and thinks that they mostly understand God because of what they read in it.

And they believe that if we doubt any part of it is 100 % perfect then we might as well throw the whole thing out.
And that is probably the biggest problem especially when you consider who put those 66 books together. There is so much more enlightening material out there that wasn't included in the canon of the Church of Rome and when you consider why other scripture wasn't included you can see that it wouldn't have benefited them in controlling the people....which is all they were about back then. When other books and scripture are not studied and considered...it is done to the detriment of all people.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I am the least proponent, although a Preterist, to draw the "this generation" card, but the Olivet Discourse was only a couple of chapters...that can be spoken in a few minutes time, so saying "this generation" once, would appear to suffice and provide the backdrop time stamp generously. The same goes for Revelation..at hand is ἐγγύς which is derivative of ἀγκάλη both deducing near proximity.
EXACTLY....but "literalists" ignore these passages or try to give them other meanings. Mt 24 is a perfect example....everything is to be taken literally up until the point where Jesus says it will occur in the Apostles generation...this is exactly my point and what I really want people to LOOK AT!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 AM

37,499 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
To put this in human carnal terms....you have to crucify your carnal self and live by the spirit...we cannot be one with the Father while we live by our carnal desires, lusts, wants, etc....correct?
The good news is a little better than that. We have to SELECTIVELY control our carnal drives and submit them to spiritual censorship and control under "love of God and each other." The total control (no matter what the world does to us) is probably not possible for us mere mortals . . . but under the love and grace of Jesus . . . it is not necessary either. As long as we genuinely are operating under "love of God and each other" . . . we are golden.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
The good news is a little better than that. We have to SELECTIVELY control our carnal drives and submit them to spiritual censorship and control under "love of God and each other." The total control (no matter what the world does to us) is probably not possible for us mere mortals . . . but under the love and grace of Jesus . . . it is not necessary either. As long as we genuinely are operating under "love of God and each other" . . . we are golden.
I wouldn't say it's impossible but not probable given our truly carnal natures...but Jesus showed us that it was attainable so I strive for that and miserably fail every day....LOL I believe you are correct in your assessment and I just wish other could see it.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 AM

37,499 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say it's impossible but not probable given our truly carnal natures...but Jesus showed us that it was attainable so I strive for that and miserably fail every day....LOL I believe you are correct in your assessment and I just wish others could see it.
The even better news is that it doesn't matter what each of us believe . . . as long as we act out of "love of God and each other" . . . whatever our reasons or rationale for it. The underlying truth and reality will still be there.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
The even better news is that it doesn't matter what each of us believe . . . as long as we act out of "love of God and each other" . . . whatever our reasons or rationale for it. The underlying truth and reality will still be there.

Yes...that would be lovely now wouldn't it.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,449,783 times
Quote:
Yes...that would be lovely now wouldn't it.
yes just what exactly is that verse?

Old 10-24-2009, 10:15 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,487,341 times
Quote:
.for example, Jesus coming on the clouds so every eye will see Him....
Yes, that is what i believe...
I believe that at the 2nd coming that Jesus will appear on the clouds, and that everyone will see him ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or