U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:13 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,578,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
BTW I don't think contexty is a word...
Sure it is! As in "This book is just WAY to contexty for me".

Next you'll be claiming that there is no such word as "contextish".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:39 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,493,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
BTW I don't think contexty
Contexty is the next truthyness

Old 10-25-2009, 01:20 PM

10,210 posts, read 10,592,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Rather than list all the absurdities that this thinking eventually leads to . . . I will just list a few of the major ones that expose the illogical and magical thinking, IMO.

1. The entire universe and the earth with all life was created in six 24 hour days around 6,000 years ago.(No comment)

2. The first couple . . . Adam and Eve ANGERED God because they disobeyed Him about some fruit.(Come on! God can't get angry . . . let alone over something like this!)

3. This disobedience made all humankind into sinful "filthy rags" in God's eyes and would require a tremendous human SACRIFICE to appease God's Almighty WRATH against such unbelievable arrogance. (Seriously???)

4. Noah literally took two of every animal on earth into his Ark and lived adrift at sea for almost a year. The entire remainder of life on earth was wiped out by rain and floods due to God's WRATH.(Not really worth a comment)

5. The entire 6 billion+ population of the earth and inumerable animal species today descended from the animals that fit in the Ark and those few people on the Ark. (Anyone run the numbers???)

6. God required that Jesus be TORTURED, SCOURGED VICIOUSLY AND CRUCIFIED TO PAY God for that disobedience thing with the fruit and all subsequent disobedience of humankind. (Because He LOVES us so much!!!)

I'm sorry . . . anyone who buys into these and similar interpretations is a fundamentalist literalist, who has a badly warped conception of God's TRUE NATURE and the SPIRITUAL import of the scriptures, IMO. (grabs hat, coat . . . heads for the door!!)
Ohhhhh Brother........as if we didn't have enough trouble already with the futurists pitted against the preterists and the universal redemptionists at the throats of the eternal damnationists!!!! Add another one: the non-redemptionists against the redemptionists!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 PM

37,644 posts, read 25,337,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Ohhhhh Brother........as if we didn't have enough trouble already with the futurists pitted against the preterists and the universal redemptionists at the throats of the eternal damnationists!!!! Add another one: the non-redemptionists against the redemptionists!
Get it right, thrillobyte . . . redemption as the fulfillment of a PROMISE (prophesy) . . . NOT payment by punishment! God does NOT punish.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:30 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,578,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Contexty is the next truthyness
hahahaha

Old 10-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Get it right, thrillobyte . . . redemption as the fulfillment of a PROMISE (prophesy) . . . NOT payment by punishment! God does NOT punish.
Well, let's take point # 6:

Quote:
Rather than list all the absurdities that this thinking eventually leads to . . . I will just list a few of the major ones that expose the illogical and magical thinking, IMO: 6. God required that Jesus be TORTURED, SCOURGED VICIOUSLY AND CRUCIFIED TO PAY God for that disobedience thing with the fruit and all subsequent disobedience of humankind. (Because He LOVES us so much!!!)
and pit it against Isaiah 53:10

Quote:
The Lord (Father) was pleased to bruise him (Jesus);
he (Father) has put him (Jesus) to grief;
when he (Jesus) makes himself (Jesus) an offering for sin,

he shall see his offspring,
he shall prolong his days;
the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.
Looks to me like the Father delighted in His Son being put to death.

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceL...ising_the_Son/

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-25-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Looks to me like the Father delighted in His Son being put to death.
And you do not find that sick and twisted at all. That is a God you can love and who you believe loves you (And His tortured Son)???? Forsaking all judgment to literally interpret and believe such misrepresentations about God is not something I am capable of. The Holy Spirit within me is as repulsed by that . . . as by the SUPPOSED description of God's reaction to His Son's torture.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,409,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Sure it is! As in "This book is just WAY to contexty for me".

Next you'll be claiming that there is no such word as "contextish".
LOL I think both can be used.... but i doubt that webster would agree... I use word of my own concoction all the time..

Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
And you do not find that sick and twisted at all. That is a God you can love and who you believe loves you (And His tortured Son)???? Forsaking all judgment to literally interpret and believe such misrepresentations about God is not something I am capable of. The Holy Spirit within me is as repulsed by that . . . as by the SUPPOSED description of God's reaction to His Son's torture.
No, I don't find it twisted and yes, that is a God I can love, but you're deviating from the point. Isaiah clearly says Jesus was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed. Now you don't think that could have happened to God's only begotten Son without our Father's will, do you? So clearly the Father allowed His Son to suffer the cruelest kind of death for our sakes. To deny that is what I find sick and twisted.

Come on people, please help me out here.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
No, I don't find it twisted and yes, that is a God I can love, but you're deviating from the point. Isaiah clearly says Jesus was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed. Now you don't think that could have happened to God's only begotten Son without our Father's will, do you? So clearly the Father allowed His Son to suffer the cruelest kind of death for our sakes. To deny that is what I find sick and twisted.
Whoa . . . you just twisted it yet again. I absolutely know God ALLOWED His Son to suffer because of us and our barbarity. He knew it would happen and neither He nor Jesus did anything to stop it. That is NOT THE SAME AS REQUIRING IT OR ENJOYING IT!!!! The BOLD AND CAPS is what is SICK and TWISTED . . . and MY GOD could never embrace such evil!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or