Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If a Mormon gets someone to leave Jehovah's Witnesses does that make them right?
Its like this-

I watched a boxing match on Tv the other night.
There was one guy who got into trouble and ended up leaning back on the ropes.

Now at the time Im sure that guy felt that a little rest that the ropes offered him at that moment as it helped support his body was a good thing.

I sure he felt that in just a moment after he was able to rest there for a second, that his strength would return and he would be good to go soon.

But I looked at the guy leaning on the ropes and knew that he was doomed.

The ropes are the halfway house to the mat.

Same thing is true when one cultist talks to another and thinks they are winning....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzAXZ9jPqzA

Last edited by alanMolstad; 11-01-2009 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Who's to say you aren't in a cult?

Old 11-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Who's to say you aren't in a cult?
Oh Im sure EVERYONE who has some disagreements with the things I post on this forum believe that I am in a cult.

The problem is that when I ask them a few questions about any others in the world that believe as they do about the things we disagree about?...they are mute.

They suddenly have very little to add.

I remember asking this one guy for the name of any church in the phone book that teaches the stuff he believed?....He could not list a name.

He is a cult of 'one'
He is both the unquestioned leader of this cult of One,
as well as its blind follower.

The cult of One considers the whole world in error, and only that single person out of the billions and billions of people on the earth to have the direct connection to the truth.

Funny....
The funny thing is, that the world is filled up with members of the cults of One.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Oh Im sure EVERYONE who has some disagreements with the things I post on this forum believe that I am in a cult.

The problem is that when I ask them a few questions about any others in the world that believe as they do about the things we disagree about?...they are mute.

They suddenly have very little to add.

I remember asking this one guy for the name of any church in the phone book that teaches the stuff he believed?....He could not list a name.

He is a cult of 'one'
He is both the unquestioned leader of this cult of One,
as well as its blind follower.

The cult of One considers the whole world in error, and only that single person out of the billions and billions of people on the earth to have the direct connection to the truth.

Funny....
The funny thing is, that the world is filled up with members of the cults of One.
According to the definition of "cult," you are in a cult.

cult  /kʌlt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuhlt] Show IPA

–noun
  1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
  2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
  3. the object of such devotion.
  4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
  5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
  6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
  7. the members of such a religion or sect.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
According to the definition of "cult," you are in a cult.
dont care...

I remember talking with one guy on this forum and I asked him what other church in the whole wide, wide world of sports also taught as he believed?

He was mute.

He had nothing to answer with...

The reason is because he knew that of all the people on the face of the earth, he and only he had dreamed up the ideas that he clung to on this forum.

"Isn't it lucky to be you" I thought to myself.

Now it's one thing to maintain that you have found the Christian's truth after a private study of the Bible, But it's another thing to then claim also to be the only one in modern history to know the truth!

Thats sorta like not just claiming to be someone, but to claim to be Napoleon

And that leads me to this next observation.

Why is it that the crazy people never claim to be someone of minor importance?
Why do they always claim to be a Lost King in England or Jesus or in this case, the only person in the world that understands the Bible...why?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM

The problem with cults is they usually don't come as just a one member party but are loaded with lots of members and after a service they usually give cookies.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:34 PM

what I see on the rise is the "Cult of One".

Birthed on the Internet, fed with myth and conspiracy.
Unconnected to any supervision or tradition.
Alone with no understanding that the church is a Body.

The Cult of One has a membership of only one person, but that person fills to roles.
They are the Leader whose word cant be questioned.
They are the blind follower that has lost the ability to think for themselves.

many times a person in the Cult of One will complain against the different christian Churches.
declaring that the true Christian church would be more united.

Yet question them more and you will see that even if you agree with them 99.999 percent, that last little place where you do disagree will cause them to call you "lost"
This shows me that people that are a Cult of One, dont want anyone else to join them.
As much as the Cult of One people push their ideas, they could not stand anyone actually being like them...

Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
dont care...

I remember talking with one guy on this forum and I asked him what other church in the whole wide, wide world of sports also taught as he believed?

He was mute.

He had nothing to answer with...

The reason is because he knew that of all the people on the face of the earth, he and only he had dreamed up the ideas that he clung to on this forum.

"Isn't it lucky to be you" I thought to myself.

Now it's one thing to maintain that you have found the Christian's truth after a private study of the Bible, But it's another thing to then claim also to be the only one in modern history to know the truth!

Thats sorta like not just claiming to be someone, but to claim to be Napoleon

And that leads me to this next observation.

Why is it that the crazy people never claim to be someone of minor importance?
Why do they always claim to be a Lost King in England or Jesus or in this case, the only person in the world that understands the Bible...why?
What is funny is that you forget that their are many bible-reading christians that don't believe Jesus is God.. Granted their is not a church formed on that premise alone because there is no need. The message other than that is the same. Those who believe Jesus is God just worship Jesus whereas the other group worships only God..

So tell me how you can say "cult of one" in this situation... Many churches have Jesus is not God believers... right there next to the Jesus is God believers.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
What is funny is that you forget.. .
I am always right about this stuff, remember?

I not only did not forget, I took that into account.

"many times a person in the Cult of One will complain against the different christian Churches.

Yet question them more and you will see that even if you agree with them 99.999 percent, that last little place where you do disagree will cause them to call you "lost"

So what I have found true is that the Cult of One people will claim to be part of a vast church that is "hidden"...without building, without history, without....(well when you ask them for a listing) without membership...LOL

They might claim that "lots of people" believe as they do.

But try to pin them down to a name of a church?....they got nothing
Ask for the name of a small home fellowship?....Zip
Ask them the name of a writer that teaches as they believe?...oh here they are tempted to list a name, their favorite author, but they stop themselves knowing that there are also major ideas that said author holds that would be embarrassing for him to be connected with...so again he is mute.

or just ask them for the name of one of two people that believe as they do?
That they are ready to do!
and just before they try to answer that, tell them that they cant just list their wife......or the dog or cat.

ahh, the vast body of unrecognized believers is narrowed once again down to one name.....theirs.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
"many times a person in the Cult of One will complain against the different christian Churches.

The point I make here is that many times the people that have fallen into "The Cult of One, will bark and bark at the traditional church.
The will point out that a real Christian church would not be split up into so many different denominations.

They will denounce the way each church has split off from the others.

and then in the next breath...

You will find that no matter how many places of agreement you might have with them on other issues, that they hold so tightly to some things that are so off the beaten path that they have no knowledge of anyone being even close to full agreement with them in their life.

They could never set up a church and get it going because their teachings are not held close enough by anyone that they would allow to lead their church.

99.99% agreement is not close enough.
that little point of disagreement is enough to cause them to walk away and declare you "Lost"

They turn out to be the ultimate "split off"
They complain of the denominations, and yet turn out to be a denomination of "one person"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity