U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,386,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
They tried ....but it was not his time...
So they wanted to make sure they stuck to God's schedule? They didn't have any evidence that Jesus was not who he said he was.. Jesus himself says if you see his works you will know he is from the Father but they did not see that because they were blind. That is why they had to bring him before the Romans.. because if they could prove he claimed to be King of the Jews (and they did) then he would be guilty of sedition which is punishable by death per Roman law.

Jesus was falsely accused because he never intended to overthrow Roman control of Jerusalem.. he intended to overthrow the Jewish council.. that did not sit well with them obviously. Claiming to be God's son is not the same as claiming to be God. In trinitarian culture it may be if you add imagination and doctrine but the Jews believed in a God who covered the earth and heavens.. so vast and big that he could not be contained in any building. There was no doubt about that for them.. why christians think God could be contained in a human body is beyond my comprehension...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:32 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,487,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So they wanted to make sure they stuck to God's schedule?
Yes.
if you read that verse talking about the moment when they almost started to stone Jesus, it does clear show us that there was a schedule and that all would happen as planned.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,286,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Jesus is not God....he said himself, he was a prophet. He is the son of God, our brother and our friend....the same way we are the sons and daughters of God.

Deut 18:15 The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your countrymen, you shall listen to him.

16 "This is according to all that you asked of the LORD your God in Horeb on the day of the assembly, saying, 'Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, let me not see this great fire anymore, or I will die.'
17 "The LORD said to me, 'They have spoken well.
18 'I will raise up a prophet from among their countrymen like you, and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him.

Mt 13:57 And they took offense at Him But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household."

Lk 13:33 Nevertheless I must journey on today and tomorrow and the next day; for it cannot be that a prophet would perish outside of Jerusalem.

Chrysty Girl,

What part of this can't you understand?

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."

So Jesus was a prophet beforde Abraham?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Well hello! Missed ya.. I will respond to this at length in a bit but just wanted to say HI. So "HI"
Hey you, sorry I have been out...baby is coming next Friday...what a long strange trip it has been indeed...thanks for the welcome!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,487,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Chrysty Girl,

nope, Im not sure that is the claim Jesus makes about himself here...

Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Why use apocalyptic writings to says something literal when they are symbolic already?
I don't adhere to symbolic/literal...what is the word of God is the word of God...and the Word of God explicitly states that Christ is part of the God head, as I have pointed out.

Quote:
1 Cor. 4-6
Quote:
So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.
This is irrelevant compaed to the scripture provided. God is God, Jesus is King of King, LORD OF LORDS...therefore He is in the Godhead.

Quote:
But if he even thought that Thomas was referring to him as God why then in verse 31:
"But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name."
So that all who were hearing this would know that just a belief in the unseen God is not enough, at that time in the first century after Christ's death, but belief in the God in the flesh, that He died for us, is the matter at hand. The old husband is dead....and the New Husband, the New Covenant confirmed by God for all of us in what is in play now. No law to abide by, just belief in Him.

Quote:
Why not just say that Jesus is God.... why the Christ or the Son of God? You seem to imply that the disciples or at the very least, Thomas thought Jesus was God.. why then do they never say Jesus is God? Wouldn't verse 31 be the perfect opportunity to say that given what you think the meaning of Thomas' words are?
I didn't write the scripture, I just read it and post it...like I did, and the verse I supplied, strictly say....Jesus is God.

Quote:
For there is ONE God, and ONE Mediator OF God and mankind, a MAN Christ Jesus..." (I Tim. 2:5)
He was God in the flesh...God bled, He sacrificed Himself in the flesh for us. Yes the Christ, a man in the flesh, was here, whom God took on the flesh to overcome what we are burdened with and cannot overcome...the sinful flesh...the members of man...but He overcame, because He is God.

Quote:
1 Cor. 15:28 When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.
Eph. 1:3: "Blessed be the God and Father OF our Lord Jesus Christ"
Col. 1:3: "We are thanking the God and Father OF our Lord Jesus Christ"
I Pet. 1:3: "Blessed be the God and Father OF our Lord Jesus Christ"
I understand your confusion...the triune God head is hard to fathom, but it is plainly stated throughout the scripture. But Jesus is God, one of the three parts of God...The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is outside our understanding of things, and understanding the capabilities of God is fruitless, as there are not limits to what He can do. If He wants to be a man, He can...if He wasnt to be a rock, He can, if He wants to be a dog, He can, if He wants to be in all and all.....He can...and only through His Son, have we, as mankind, can be a part of that. With Christ, God in the flesh, He is all in all with all who believe.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:23 and you belong to Christ; and Christ belongs to God.
God = Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Quote:
A god cannot have a god but as we see in Psalms.. a king can have a lord... you quote Lord of Lords, King of Kings... where is God of gods?
I will let you argue this one with God, as He has said so.

The most consistent error I have seen in all circles of faith, is one thing and one thing only. People try to put God is a box and try to understand Him. But that isn't so. He is the box, and everything inside and outside of that box...He is all and everything.

Think of the atom....the very essence of everything known to man.
Three parts. One source. One God, three parts.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,117,441 times
Quote:
Chrysty Girl,

What part of this can't you understand?

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."

So....in your interpretation of scripture, because Jesus said he existed before Abraham, that makes him God?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
So....in your interpretation of scripture, because Jesus said he existed before Abraham, that makes him God?
This is circular reasoning above.
According to what He said in the scripture...yes He is the Son, part of the Godhead, so therefore...God!
This isn't an interpretation...this is the Word saying so.

I have supplied ample enough scripture that I haven't seen anyone refute or rightly divide since. I suggest those who do not believe Christ to be a part of the Godhead, to read all the scriptures I have posted, in their context, and maybe it as a whole.

Matt 8:56,57,58,59: Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw [it], and was glad. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Why would they take up stones to cast at Him if He was proclaiming to be a prophet, a man, that lived before Abraham?
Christ is God. Only a man can live for a certain time, but God, is beyond time, as Jesus stated so.

Last edited by sciotamicks; 11-05-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,117,441 times
Quote:
According to what He said in the scripture...yes!
This isn't an interpretation...this is the Word saying so.

I have supplied ample enough scripture that I haven't seen anyone refute or rightly divide since. I suggest those who do not believe Christ to be a part of the Godhead, to read all the scriptures I have posted, in their context, and maybe it as a whole.
This doesn't prove Jesus is God....Jesus was saying that he existed before Abraham. His soul was pre-existent with God (which is what he stated), the same way mine was and yours was...this does not make us GOD.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
This doesn't prove Jesus is God....Jesus was saying that he existed before Abraham. His soul was pre-existent with God (which is what he stated), the same way mine was and yours was...this does not make us GOD.
The bolded is a pressumption based on your belief on who Jesus was, not what He sated as such, or what the scriptures state.

You can make the scriptures say anything you want based on preconceived assumptions, but in light of the entire context of the Word of God, Jesus Christ is God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or