U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,488,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
What I mean by that is . . . I believe Jesus is God, a diety . . . but I do not believe Jesus is God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit.

They were all present at Jesus Baptism . . . they are not the same person, God the Father, God the Son, and Holy Spirit.

This is correct.
The Holy Trinity teaches us that God is 3 different persons in the One true God.

This means that you are correct, the Son is not the father, never was never will be.

This is the teaching of the Christian church...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:32 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,109,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
This is correct.
The Holy Trinity teaches us that God is 3 different persons in the One true God.

This means that you are correct, the Son is not the father, never was never will be.

Good, I can sleep better tonight . . . it has taken me awhile at deciphering scripture to come up with what holds true for me . . . at the last church I was at, Baptist . . . they believe that Jesus is the Father . . . and that just didn't ring true. Here's something for you Alan . .

Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,390,644 times
Quote:
Okay, I don't like the word trinity . . . but I believe in a modified version of it.

What I mean by that is . . . I believe Jesus is God, a diety . . . but I do not believe Jesus is God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit.

They were all present at Jesus Baptism . . . they are not the same person, God the Father, God the Son, and Holy Spirit.

The trinity teaches this mystery, and if we question it, it is so confusing . . .and we know, God is not the author of confusion? Right?

Now, as I stated in previous posts, I believe Jesus created the world, and is the Word of God, the Lamb of God . . . and the ONLY Begotten Son of God.

He was brought forth from God . . . was born in human form, to a Virgin, named Mary . . . so, in Heaven, he was begotten . . . and God the father, also sired him . . . through Mary so to speak.

Although he is God, our Lord Jesus Christ . . . it is clear to me, that he is not the Father now . . . in the not to recent past I had started to question this . . . and I believe that I found the answers in the scipture.

James 2:19 (English-NIV)
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that and shudder.

Ephesians 4:4-6 (English-NIV)
4 there is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called
5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

The scripture above shows us plainly that there is One Lord who we know to be Jesus and there is one God and Father of all.

The next scripture reafirms this and shows us that the Father is greater than the Son. Instead of thinking about a circle divided into 3 parts that make up one God, think about what the following scripture is saying.

John 15:1-2 (English-NIV)
1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.
2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.

So God is the gardener, Jesus is the vine, and we are the branches.

2 Corinthians 13:14
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
Jesus would NEVER have advocated the trinity or triune God because he was a Jew.. Jews believe God is the ONLY god.

Take this verse for example:
Genesis 5:3 When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth.

But was Seth Adam? No of course not..

Same with Jesus.. Jesus is the son of God, not God himself.

There is no reason to suppose that Jesus is God. It serves no purpose.

Take it from the Jews.. there is no way that God is triune.. he is absolutely not human in any way including manifesting as a human..

See: What Jews Believe

Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM

I believe that there is sufficient scripture to believe Jesus is not just a man . . . but he is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords . . . .

Not just from scripture, but from the spirit guiding me . . . I believe Jesus is a diety . . . . brought forth from God, the only Begotten, Divine . . .

Now . . . if Trinity believers believe that Jesus is the Father . . . or the Father took on human form . . . I disagree

But "Let Us Make Man in Our Image" . . . . this and many other scriptures tell me that Jesus is God's begotten son . . . . .

Jesus is not just a man with a Message . . .He is the Message . . .

Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 PM

There are so many old testament prophecies . . . . that were fulfilled by the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus . . .

my Jewish friends are waiting for their Messiah . . .I understand their beliefs . . .

but . . . my Messiah is Jesus Christ, who is called Lord, and accepted this title . . .because of his divinity . . . this is my belief, and I believe it is biblically and spiritually based, blessings, Lifesigns64

Old 10-25-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Jesus would NEVER have advocated the trinity or triune God because he was a Jew.. Jews believe God is the ONLY god.

Take this verse for example:
Genesis 5:3 When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth.

But was Seth Adam? No of course not..

Same with Jesus.. Jesus is the son of God, not God himself.

There is no reason to suppose that Jesus is God. It serves no purpose.

Take it from the Jews.. there is no way that God is triune.. he is absolutely not human in any way including manifesting as a human..

See: What Jews Believe
Kat . . are you agnostic??? I thought I read that in your About Me Section . . but I may be thinking of someone else? You are extremely articulate and intelligent . . . I don't believe God is a triune or the trinity as some teach it.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Kat . . are you agnostic??? I thought I read that in your About Me Section . . but I may be thinking of someone else? You are extremely articulate and intelligent . . . I don't believe God is a triune or the trinity as some teach it.
I think that I described myself as:
Preterist Unitarian Theistical Agnostic with a tendency toward rational thought through an open mind.

I believe that the bible stories are meant to free the conscience and not to be taken literally. I believe that God is Love. I don't believe that Jesus is God in human form but that he was and always will be human. I also believe that there is no way to prove God exists except to myself by my own experiences. I believe that all people are given grace and are saved.

I don't believe in heaven, hell, demons, the devil (AKA satan) or angels as literal. I believe that Christ returned in judgment in 70 AD figuratively in fulfillment of prophecy and that all prophecy has been fulfilled. I believe that the Bible is a collection of man's experiences but is not infallible.

Well that sorta sums it up.. basically I am a human being who lives life to the fullest while trying to be the best human being that I can be. I live by the law of Love. I try to love everyone equally and if I fail I don't take on the burden of guilt but simply acknowledge my error and move on.

Thanks for the kind words.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
This is correct.

No that is the teaching of the Catholic church.... LOL and the protesters..protestants didn't want to be ridiculed and persecuted by the Catholic church by abandoning the trinity doctrine...

Remember what Jesus said of the pharisees:
Matt 15:8-9 "'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.'"

Isaiah 29:13 Then the Lord said, "Because this people draw near with their words And honor Me with their lip service, But they remove their hearts far from Me, And their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote,

This is the RCC pattern.. That tradition is truth when it clearly is not..

It is absurd to me that most protestants reject RCC doctrine but accept the trinity when it is clearly not taught in scripture.

1 Tim. 2:5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

There is only one God.. not three in one... just one.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I think that I described myself as:
Preterist Unitarian Theistical Agnostic with a tendency toward rational thought through an open mind.

I believe that the bible stories are meant to free the conscience and not to be taken literally. I believe that God is Love. I don't believe that Jesus is God in human form but that he was and always will be human. I also believe that there is no way to prove God exists except to myself by my own experiences. I believe that all people are given grace and are saved.

I don't believe in heaven, hell, demons, the devil (AKA satan) or angels as literal. I believe that Christ returned in judgment in 70 AD figuratively in fulfillment of prophecy and that all prophecy has been fulfilled. I believe that the Bible is a collection of man's experiences but is not infallible.

Well that sorta sums it up.. basically I am a human being who lives life to the fullest while trying to be the best human being that I can be. I live by the law of Love. I try to love everyone equally and if I fail I don't take on the burden of guilt but simply acknowledge my error and move on.

Thanks for the kind words.
Wow, thanks for explaining that, now I remember weeks ago reading that in your about me section . . . and going to google, but could not find an explanation of those beliefs . . . thanks for summing it up for me . . . . . I respect your beliefs . . . even though we differ greatly on some aspects regarding Jesus's Divinity, and prophecies being fulfilled, etc. There are many passionate and articulate people here on this board, with opposing or slightly different interpretations, and it makes for very interesting (sometimes heated) discussions . . . have a blessed day, Lifesigns64

Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Wow, thanks for explaining that, now I remember weeks ago reading that in your about me section . . . and going to google, but could not find an explanation of those beliefs . . . thanks for summing it up for me . . . . . I respect your beliefs . . . even though we differ greatly on some aspects regarding Jesus's Divinity, and prophecies being fulfilled, etc. There are many passionate and articulate people here on this board, with opposing or slightly different interpretations, and it makes for very interesting (sometimes heated) discussions . . . have a blessed day, Lifesigns64
I thank you.. blessings to you as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or