U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:44 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,558,523 times

Advertisements

Good post Hot.

Without taking this thread to you-know-where, I believe God is working in all of us to burn out the things that would prevent us from overcoming. Where we fall into this category and how we cooperate with Him is a debatable subject.

But these things we can be sure of:

(1) Believe - you can't get off the ground if you don't first believe that God is, and that He's a rewarder of those who seek Him.

(2) Fear not - it's the most commanded, uh, commandment in the NT - the Spirit of the Lord brings to us boldness to take hold of the things He has for us.

(3) Discernment - to prevent reckless abandon into things that are, as Verna pointed out, new age or pulling away from His perfect will.

The concrete grounding in the Truth must be established before you can jump in the deep end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,374,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Good post Hot.

Without taking this thread to you-know-where, I believe God is working in all of us to burn out the things that would prevent us from overcoming. Where we fall into this category and how we cooperate with Him is a debatable subject.
I agree with you. The question is where is this leading us though. He has called us. To where? To what?

Quote:
But these things we can be sure of:

(1) Believe - you can't get off the ground if you don't first believe that God is, and that He's a rewarder of those who seek Him.
Exactly! Our God is unlike any god. He does not demand anything from us, as God doesn't need anything. But He gives TO us. The question remains,,,what?

Quote:
(2) Fear not - it's the most commanded, uh, commandment in the NT - the Spirit of the Lord brings to us boldness to take hold of the things He has for us.
I believe the "fear not" is TO the overcomer. Because unless you have overcome, there is much to fear. This goes back to Revelation 21.

Quote:
(3) Discernment - to prevent reckless abandon into things that are, as Verna pointed out, new age or pulling away from His perfect will.
Agreed, but does not this go WAY, WAY deeper than that? And is not this way more narrow, so that "few" find it?

Quote:
The concrete grounding in the Truth must be established before you can jump in the deep end.
Agree!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I agree with you. The question is where is this leading us though. He has called us. To where? To what?
Though it is all for Him and the advancement of His Kingdom, it may seem that some are being trained for this, or that.

Quote:
Exactly! Our God is unlike any god. He does not demand anything from us, as God doesn't need anything. But He gives TO us. The question remains,,,what?
According to His plan - not only for us, but where in His plan that we are placed in His army. I do somewhat disagree that He doesn't "demand" from us - I believe He does (like a job or sport is "demanding") - the gold (or character/nature) that is tried in the fire (Rev 3:18) is bought - it does cost us. His gifts and callings are without repentance (Romans 11:29) and I'm very thankful for that - there's something in me that cries out that He do whatever is necessary to fulfill His plan and purpose for my life, and to know that He is faithful to do it is priceless.

Quote:
I believe the "fear not" is TO the overcomer. Because unless you have overcome, there is much to fear. This goes back to Revelation 21.
True - it's a chicken/egg thing. I believe we can't come boldly without that being put in us, but then we're given faith when we DO come. I guess those who have will be given more, and those that don't - it will be taken away...

Quote:
Agreed, but does not this go WAY, WAY deeper than that? And is not this way more narrow, so that "few" find it?
Again, I think discernment is a byproduct of what the Lord has built in His servant during training. So yes, there is a seeking for His perfect will when in the battle, but that son has a pretty good idea what His Father business is about, too. (In other words, like Jesus the nature of the Father is in that son to commune and speak the word/do the works.)

Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 PM

988 posts, read 1,574,939 times
Quote:
I don't know of one single person who fits this bill....I love to shop and watch TV....especially romance movies....I love chocolate...I worry about my family members...from the literal word of the bible...these things are wrong and should be overcome.

What do you think?
[/quote]

WHAT? NO CHOCOLATE? Who then can be saved?

HK

Thou shalt not eat chocolate - hmmmm it must be in there somewhere

Old 10-24-2009, 12:40 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,237,725 times
Quote:
And I certainly understand that - no, I'm not advocating a departure from the Foundation, but God is not dead, and neither are His works in the earth and in His people. If we are willing to step away from the safety of past experiences of our spiritual ancestors and let Him do whatever His plan is for this generation, today, and this age - then we are a people of faith.

If you look at scripture, so often the miracle or move of God's hand was groundbreaking and seen as a departure from the traditions, and often called blasphemy from His people's contemporaries.

Not everyone is called to the front lines; there are many parts to a body, an army, or to a house - we must follow His leading for each of us, and not compare ourselves to the next one - but let us all press on to the calling He has for us.
Amen little elmer...

Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM

5,417 posts, read 4,664,295 times
And, how do the Saints overcome?

Revelation 12
9 And the great dragon was cast out [of Heaven], that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman [Israel] which brought forth the man child [144,000 male virgins].

Old 10-24-2009, 02:20 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,237,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
And, how do the Saints overcome?

Revelation 12
9 And the great dragon was cast out [of Heaven], that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman [Israel] which brought forth the man child [144,000 male virgins].
Amen scgraham...by the blood of the Lamb.

It is a spiritual battle.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:
But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils.
Luke 11:21-22

In these Scriptures, Jesus revealed His TOTAL VICTORY and the POWER AND AUTHORITY He had over Satan.
He had cast a devil out of a man who was dumb, with the power of His Word. The people were amazed. They had never seen anything like this great demonstration of power!
There were also those who accused Jesus of casting out devils by the power of Beelzebub. In answer to their accusations, Jesus revealed the power God had given Him to destroy Satan and spoil his house.
In verse twenty-one, the "strong man" refers to Satan. In verse twenty-two, Christ is the stronger one who overcomes Satan, takes his "armour" and divides the spoils.
What are the "spoils" of the enemy? In this Scripture, Jesus defeated the enemy. He cast out the devil, and the dumb man was healed and able to speak. The "spoils" of the enemy, was the man's ability to speak that had been stolen from him by Satan.
Whatever things you need, which Satan has either taken from you or has hindered you from receiving, are the "spoils" of the enemy which belong to you...this includes your healing, your restoration...everything the enemy has stolen from you.

To take the "spoils" of the enemy...you must first have a fresh revelation of the battle Christ has won in destroying...totally annihilating...the works of the devil! We share in His victory! He has given us the power and authority over all the work of the enemy...bind the power of the enemy!...command him to loose his stranglehold!...and take hold of what you need by faith! Do not waver! Do not give up! Keep standing in faith until you receive what you need!

Through His death Jesus did what?

He brought "to nought" and made the devil ineffective. "...He (Himself) in a similar manner partook of the same (nature), that by (going through) death He might bring to nought and make no effect him who had the power of death, that is, the devil" (Hebrews 2:14).

Do you realize what this great truth means to you and I right now as a child of God?

It means that Satan has no power over you except what you allow him to have!!! Think about it...all the things Satan is using right now to discourage and defeat you......JESUS DESTROYED THE WORKS OF SATAN!...He rendered him INEFFECTIVE...brought him to NOTHING...You are set free from all the things Satan is using against you.

Satan has no power over you except what you allow him to have!

We must win!...To win we must KNOW the God given methods and rules of winning this victory once and for all. In spiritual battles there are definite God-given directives which absolutely guarentee the outcome every time. We have to destroy the enemy before he destroys us. We have to go deep into the heart of the enemy's territory with our spiritual warfare, locate him, and bind him over the affairs of our lives...our needs...our families...our cities...and our country. It is our God-given purpose as Christians to go into the devil's territory and invade his stronghold and take the spoils!

God has called us to an Army - militant, mobilized...going into the very territory of Satan...a purely spiritual battle to be won IF fought offensively!

Jesus came to DESTROY the works of the devil. "...For this purpose was the Son of God manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil" (1 John 3:8).

The blood of the Lamb...Jesus' precious blood...the power of His blood...ia what enables us to defeat sin in our lives...IF we receive it...by faith!

In Christ! Hallelujuah!!!
Verna!!

Old 10-24-2009, 02:23 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,119,759 times
WHAT? NO CHOCOLATE? Who then can be saved?

HK

Thou shalt not eat chocolate - hmmmm it must be in there somewhere [/quote]

With "men" this is impossible....but with GOD....ALL things are possible...Woo Hoo!!!!

Old 10-25-2009, 06:47 AM

15,029 posts, read 7,546,690 times
Quote:
I do not offer this lightly, but if you are serious about foregoing everything in pursuit of Him, SonPlacing may be for you.

SonPlace.com - A Website For Spiritual Warriors

Interesting read so far ... I can't say I agree with everything he says but it's got some good stuff to chew on. Thanks for posting, Elmer.

This part of the book (from chapter 3) is very good, imho (I bolded some portions), and pertains to OP, I believe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison R. Russell
The carnal mind is also “double-minded,” in that it is mesmerized by both good & evil. It dwells in a bipolar world. It can be recognized by its relentless drive to classify every earthly event as either “good” or “evil.” Thus the carnal mind in every man flogs its host to pursue one or the other, and it really matters very little which. For both of these grow on the same tree, and this is the tree of death. Of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

The pursuit of good or evil will both result in continued death for the Adamic race. Death by evil is an obvious malady. It comes amidst impurities, perversions, drugs, crime, and produces both a spiritual and physical demise. Death by good is far more subtle. It arrives amidst temporal abundance, and lurks in the self-righteousness of those who think that wealth and works will make them immortal. To be sure, good excels evil as the heavens are higher than the earth. And you are commanded by God to pursue good and to turn away from evil deeds. But if your spiritual understanding remains paralyzed in this duality, you will die either way.

Having gained the knowledge of good & evil, your task now is not simply to shun evil and do good. Rather, your mission is to find your way out of spiritual death. Spiritual immortality cannot be found in either good or evil. No amount of good can give you spiritual life. Spiritual life can only be obtained by changing trees. You must climb down off the Tree of Good & Evil, and walk to the Tree of Life.

The Tree of Life is Jesus Christ. He is the pattern Son, the firstborn of many brethren. He is what you are to become. I am come that they might have life.

As you begin your trek toward the immortality of Jesus Christ, moving from death unto life, you will encounter the flaming sword of God. When Adam and Eve sinned, God placed a flaming sword to guard the way to the Tree of Life. Your path to eternal life leads through this sword. As a beacon of flashing flame, this sword lights your way to Sonship. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. [snip]

The flaming sword represents a process that accomplishes the destruction of your carnal mind. God does not intend for you to gain eternal life while still infested with your fallen, Adamic nature. God intends that your Satanic, double-minded, idolatrous carnal mind, must die.

This crucifixion of your carnality is also the maturing process for your spirit. As you begin your approach unto life, your carnality will be hacked to pieces and torched. It is the death and decay of this old Adamic nature that provides the nutrients for your spiritual growth.

The flaming sword represents the earthly trials and afflictions that God brings to your life. Whether you call them good or evil, these events are intended to accomplish the destruction of your carnal mind, and by this same process, the acquisition of your spiritual maturity.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 AM

Exactly...

This is why His kingdom consists of all there is - we want to say everything good is on one side, and all that is evil on the other - but we only prove by the trees that that is carnal thinking. Life in the Spirit does not concern itself with black or white, but posseses the wisdom to see that all is used in the refinement of His creation.

We judge quickly and sharply to call a matter out - but we know not what God is doing. The son has been purified and follows his Father, but is not bothered by the element of sin around him because he knows the solution is sure to follow. Look at the way Jesus walked the earth - He didn't mind hanging out with the harlots and publicans, they had a sickness and He was the cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or