U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:41 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,234,778 times

Advertisements

...but the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and *****mongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Revelation 21:7-8.

Be an overcomer.

The importance of being an overcomer cannot be stressed enough. God tells us that anyone who believes that Jesus is the Son of God is qualified to be an overcomer (1 John 5:5). Eight times in the book of Revelation, Jesus orders us to be overcomers.

The original word "overcome" means: "To conquer, prevail, get the victory, to subdue." Webster define it: "To get the better of; to surmount (difficulties); to overpower; to gain superiority; to win."

An overcomer does not retreat, but moves steadily forward with his eyes fastened upon the goal.

In Christ,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 06:52 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,117,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...but the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and *****mongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Be an overcomer.

The importance of being an overcomer cannot be stressed enough. God tells us that anyone who believes that Jesus is the Son of God is qualified to be an overcomer (1 John 5:5). Eight times in the book of Revelation, Jesus orders us to be overcomers.

The original word "overcome" means: "To conquer, prevail, get the victory, to subdue." Webster define it: "To get the better of; to surmount (difficulties); to overpower; to gain superiority; to win."

An overcomer does not retreat, but moves steadily forward with his eyes fastened upon the goal.

In Christ,
Verna.
Verna...can you please give me your definition of what an "overcomer" is?

Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,552,547 times
I do not offer this lightly, but if you are serious about foregoing everything in pursuit of Him, SonPlacing may be for you.

SonPlace.com - A Website For Spiritual Warriors

Old 10-24-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Verna...can you please give me your definition of what an "overcomer" is?
My definition?...hummmm ...I would say the definition of an overcomer is largely understood...not one I hold exclusively.

Spiritually...one who overcomes sin.

God's definition of an overcomer, (of which I agree with), is a believer who takes an offensive stance against the enemy...called spiritual battle.

We have to destroy the enemy before he destroys us by holding us captive with bad habits...lusts...etc...and the soul being lost for eternity.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I do not offer this lightly, but if you are serious about foregoing everything in pursuit of Him, SonPlacing may be for you.

SonPlace.com - A Website For Spiritual Warriors

[SonPlacing is the theory of Relativity applied to spiritual things. It is a new revelation of Christian thought and purpose. It does not enter into the existing debates over Christian dogma. Rather, it is an entirely new approach to Christianity, which flows from a new perspective. It is founded upon a fresh model of Godís plan for the earth. It has arisen from new observations. It establishes a new Christian paradigm, and leads to a new destination.]

...(ugh)...little elmer, (as dear as you are)...please...not another "new approach"...not another "new perspective"...not another "fresh model"...not ANOTHER "new observation"...

...just the term "new" sounds too much like "new age"...I stand back and away from "new" anything...unless of course it is God Who is doing a "new thing" or a "new work" within us...

...the "ancient" way, God's way, as stated in the Bible, is good enough for me.

In Christ,
Verna.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
My definition?...hummmm ...I would say the definition of an overcomer is largely understood...not one I hold exclusively.

Spiritually...one who overcomes sin.

God's definition of an overcomer, (of which I agree with), is a believer who takes an offensive stance against the enemy...called spiritual battle.

We have to destroy the enemy before he destroys us by holding us captive with bad habits...lusts...etc...and the soul being lost for eternity.
I don't see Jesus describing an overcomer in that fashion. Being an overcomer means completely crucifying your carnal man (worldly thinking and desires) and walking completely in the spirit. That means being in the world and not of it...being separate and apart from the rest of the world and worldly concerns. The true overcomer in my estimation based on scripture is one who has no "wordly" ties at all....meaning our life in this world is not important...we are to live as aliens, not wanting or needing the same things the world does. One who takes up their cross and follows in the footsteps of Jesus. Those who love life (our lives in this world) will lose it and those who lose their lives (our worldly concerns) will find life. It means completely surrendering ALL and living for God.

I don't know of one single person who fits this bill....I love to shop and watch TV....especially romance movies....I love chocolate...I worry about my family members...from the literal word of the bible...these things are wrong and should be overcome.

What do you think?

Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 AM

Christy...honestly...as I read your reply...I got dizzy from going up and down and from side to side...it felt like being in the deep, deep ocean of huge waves...carrying me to and fro...

...seriously girl...you are all over the place!

(My answers in purple)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I don't see Jesus describing an overcomer in that fashion.[/quote]

...too bad that you can't see what is so obvious...but I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christygrl
Being an overcomer means completely crucifying your carnal man (worldly thinking and desires) and walking completely in the spirit.
...o.k...

[quote=Christygrl] That means being in the world and not of it...being separate and apart from the rest of the world and worldly concerns.
...o.k...steady now...

[quote=Christygrl] The true overcomer in my estimation based on scripture is one who has no "wordly" ties at all...[/quote]

...upth!...going up....whooah!....looks like a big one coming!...(thinking)>>"take a deep breath, just in case it takes me under...!"

[quote=Christygrl]....meaning our life in this world is not important...we are to live as aliens, not wanting or needing the same things the world does. One who takes up their cross and follows in the footsteps of Jesus. Those who love life (our lives in this world) will lose it and those who lose their lives (our worldly concerns) will find life. It means completely surrendering ALL and living for God.[/quote]

o.k..heading up...!...can't see beyond this big wave...!...gulp!...deep breath...don't swallow sea water...!...

[quote=Christygrl]I don't know of one single person who fits this bill....I love to shop and watch TV....especially romance movies....I love chocolate...I worry about my family members...from the literal word of the bible...these things are wrong and should be overcome.

What do you think?[/quote]

...Awwwwwwk!!...choke...cough...drowning...hellllp !

My first thought is...you have issues that you need to work out for yourself...Christy...

My second thought is...one should never feel as though they have "arrived."...but that God will complete the good work that He has begun . Amen.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:48 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,552,547 times
Quote:
[SonPlacing is the theory of Relativity applied to spiritual things. It is a new revelation of Christian thought and purpose. It does not enter into the existing debates over Christian dogma. Rather, it is an entirely new approach to Christianity, which flows from a new perspective. It is founded upon a fresh model of Godís plan for the earth. It has arisen from new observations. It establishes a new Christian paradigm, and leads to a new destination.]

...(ugh)...little elmer, (as dear as you are)...please...not another "new approach"...not another "new perspective"...not another "fresh model"...not ANOTHER "new observation"...

...just the term "new" sounds too much like "new age"...I stand back and away from "new" anything...unless of course it is God Who is doing a "new thing" or a "new work" within us...

...the "ancient" way, God's way, as stated in the Bible, is good enough for me.

In Christ,
Verna.
And I certainly understand that - no, I'm not advocating a departure from the Foundation, but God is not dead, and neither are His works in the earth and in His people. If we are willing to step away from the safety of past experiences of our spiritual ancestors and let Him do whatever His plan is for this generation, today, and this age - then we are a people of faith.

If you look at scripture, so often the miracle or move of God's hand was groundbreaking and seen as a departure from the traditions, and often called blasphemy from His people's contemporaries.

Not everyone is called to the front lines; there are many parts to a body, an army, or to a house - we must follow His leading for each of us, and not compare ourselves to the next one - but let us all press on to the calling He has for us.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:56 AM

[quote=Verna Perry;11326375]Christy...honestly...as I read your reply...I got dizzy from going up and down and from side to side...it felt like being in the deep, deep ocean of huge waves...carrying me to and fro...

...seriously girl...you are all over the place!

(My answers in purple)...

...o.k...steady now...

[quote=Christygrl] The true overcomer in my estimation based on scripture is one who has no "wordly" ties at all...[/quote]

...upth!...going up....whooah!....looks like a big one coming!...(thinking)>>"take a deep breath, just in case it takes me under...!"

[quote=Christygrl]....meaning our life in this world is not important...we are to live as aliens, not wanting or needing the same things the world does. One who takes up their cross and follows in the footsteps of Jesus. Those who love life (our lives in this world) will lose it and those who lose their lives (our worldly concerns) will find life. It means completely surrendering ALL and living for God.[/quote]

o.k..heading up...!...can't see beyond this big wave...!...gulp!...deep breath...don't swallow sea water...!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christygrl
I don't know of one single person who fits this bill....I love to shop and watch TV....especially romance movies....I love chocolate...I worry about my family members...from the literal word of the bible...these things are wrong and should be overcome.

What do you think?[/quote]

...Awwwwwwk!!...choke...cough...drowning...hellllp !

My first thought is...you have issues that you need to work out for yourself...Christy...

My second thought is...one should never feel as though they have "arrived."...but that God will complete the good work that He has begun . Amen.
All of the things I listed above are written in Gods word...go check it out for yourself. You proved exactly the point I was trying to make with all of that...it's easy to pick a few literal things to do and accomplish in Gods word but its not so easy when you add all the other literal things Jesus said you're supposed to do. This is why we are to find the spiritual aspects and meanings of the scriptures and not just read the "literal" words and follow it "literally".

Old 10-24-2009, 09:28 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,372,302 times
Quote:
He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be My son....but the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and *****mongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
If you look at the list provided here in Revelation of those NOT inheriting all things,,,they can be mind boggling.

Quote:
Be an overcomer.

Define?

Quote:

Is it an order? Or more like a calling?

Quote:

But what is it that you are overcoming? and how is this done?

Quote:

What is it that are pushing towards?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or