Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:05 PM

79 posts, read 169,595 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to be rude, because I am a recipient of this. It is very difficult and super hard to manage my nappy and kinky hair. I not able to jump in the swimming pool, without having a problem when I get out. I don't have a perm, however a perm would greatly relax it. I have always wondered why this is? It consumes a lot of my time trying to keep it right. Why did God give use this really hard to manage hair?

Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,480,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Diva View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, because I am a recipient of this. It is very difficult and super hard to manage my nappy and kinky hair. I not able to jump in the swimming pool, without having a problem when I get out. I don't have a perm, however a perm would greatly relax it. I have always wondered why this is? It consumes a lot of my time trying to keep it right. Why did God give use this really hard to manage hair?
There are people born with terrible diseases,born blind,deaf,mute and born into poverty and you`re worrying about your hair? You`re joking, right?

Old 10-24-2009, 10:11 PM

985 posts, read 2,594,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
There are people born with terrible diseases,born blind,deaf,mute and born into poverty and you`re worrying about your hair? You`re joking, right?
lmao this is the funniest thread ever. I sincerely hope it's a joke.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,084,751 times
There are good people in the world that have great hair like mine...(Blond, wavy like Adonis with the sent of the laughter of angels)

And then there are bad people in the world with....well..all the other types of hair.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:36 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,291,348 times
Quote:
If this is not a joke,

neither is this;

Welcome to A Nappy Hair Affair!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:59 PM

8,087 posts, read 6,839,903 times
I don't really find any of this funny at all.

Those not born with this particular hair type have no idea what one goes through with this type of hair. I suggest you all educate yourselves before you go ridiculing something you know little about.

As far as that website..

Quote:
She founded A Nappy Hair Affair in 1998 and made it an extension of her commitment as a writer to help dispel stereotypes and negative perceptions of people of color.

I think that's awesome.

Until you've walked a mile in someone elses shoes.

"it's just hair".... The society that we live in has consistently discriminated against people of color. "It's just hair"... no, it's not "just hair". It goes far deeper than some of you may realize. Even discrimination amongst people of color... "good hair" .."bad hair". All of the terrible things women of color have gone through to try to rid theirselves of their "kinnky, unacceptable" hair. You don't understand what type of psychology is involved here. Like I said, it runs very deep. It's not "just hair".

Looking through that website, it seems that it's giving off the right message, to embrace who you are, and appreciate what you have and to not let anyone tell you that you need to look like someone else.

There are many ramifications of slavery in this country, this is just one more thing that has sunken into the souls of people of color. Self-hatred. It needs to be eradicated.

Peace.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:00 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,279,284 times
Quote:
It may be hard for you to manage but I love my natural curly hair. To be honest I wouldn't want straight hair with little or not curl in it. Our hair is so versatile, we can straigten it or curl it.

It sounds like you have issue with something other than what you seem to be asking.

I love my hair and wouldn't want any other grade of hair.

Sorry, to say this is a sad forum. You seem to dislike what God gave you. If you don't like your hair, well you can perm it. But you are only covering up who and what you have.

I embrace my hair, and people love my hair. Before I got a perm my hair use to be down to my back, but then I got a perm. The worst mistake I ever made. So, I cut all of my hair off and have a curly afro. I am loving it and so is everyone else. If you don't like what you are, then you pretty much dislikeing who you really are inside.

I wouldn't change this for the world. Some might say my hair is kinky, or curly hair, but I say that I have good hair. I have seen people with straight hair that looks horrible.

So, embrace who you are and don't let the world define who you are.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:02 PM

985 posts, read 2,594,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I don't really find any of this funny at all.

Those not born with this particular hair type have no idea what one goes through with this type of hair. I suggest you all educate yourselves before you go ridiculing something you know little about.

As far as that website..

I think that's awesome.

Until you've walked a mile in someone elses shoes.

"it's just hair".... The society that we live in has consistently discriminated against people of color. "It's just hair"... no, it's not "just hair". It goes far deeper than some of you may realize. Even discrimination amongst people of color... "good hair" .."bad hair". All of the terrible things women of color have gone through to try to rid theirselves of their "kinnky, unacceptable" hair. You don't understand what type of psychology is involved here. Like I said, it runs very deep. It's not "just hair".

Looking through that website, it seems that it's giving off the right message, to embrace who you are, and appreciate what you have and to not let anyone tell you that you need to look like someone else.

There are many ramifications of slavery in this country, this is just one more thing that has sunken into the souls of people of color. Self-hatred. It needs to be eradicated.

Peace.
There are plenty of people who embrace their "nappy hair" and don't sit around and feel sorry for themselves. My best friend is one of them. Give me a break. If that's the OP's worst problem she's extremely lucky.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 PM

702 posts, read 1,000,934 times
According to the Bible that is the kind of hair Jesus has: "His head and hair is white, as white wool, as snow..." (Revelation 1:14)

Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 PM

8,087 posts, read 6,839,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
There are plenty of people who embrace their "nappy hair" and don't sit around and feel sorry for themselves. My best friend is one of them. Give me a break. If that's the OP's worst problem she's extremely lucky.
1 When did she say that was her worst problem? What makes you think she is sitting around feeling sorry for herself?

2. If your best friend is black and she embraces her nappy hair, then you should be saying AMEN to my post. You are very backwards in your thinking. The whole point of my post was to explain that this goes beyond "just hair".

There is a history here. If you don't understand it... then don't act like you know what you're talking about just because you have a "friend".

Sorry to sound frank. But your saying "give me a break" and just totally pushing aside what I said, just makes me think you don't care too much about the problems of others if they don't fit into your personal "legitimate concern" category.

You know I wouldn't have even brought any of this up, because the OP just sounded like she was just making an observation, questioning something, or just venting a little. Who doesn't vent every once in awhile about their day to day problems? hmmm? But when people started to make fun... I had to say something.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 10-24-2009 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.