U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 PM

79 posts, read 27,366 times

Advertisements

They say it so absent mindedly, I see and here it very often, as soon as something surprising happens that's what they will say. I have heard my sister (age 51) say this recently, I thought to myself "doesn't she know better", just disgarding the name of God like that.
I get surprised about stuff too, but I don't say that.
Let's think of other phrases to say instead of saying that........how about
#1. Wow, no way!
#2. I can't believe it!
#3. This is so cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 PM

1,578 posts, read 1,030,903 times
You could respond as I do in one of two ways:

1) It's my God too, or
2) May I connect you.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:10 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,498,010 times
I don't know why they say that so much, but I can tell you I don't like it. It is so flippant, absent-minded, and inconsiderate. They don't say it to acknowledge God. Ok...so "God" isn't actually God's name. I still don't like it...

Bud

Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 AM

2,345 posts, read 2,600,131 times
Please tell me that isn't a real concern of yours! It is just an expression mostly out of habit. So what!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:12 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,474,217 times
DaniMae1.....how can you say SO WHAT.......Gods name is being spoken and used as a casual flippant expletive and you just say So what? Thats the trouble with the world today......No fear of God. People doing whatever they please, they don't even think about the consequences. But there are consequences. We live once and then the judgement. God is not mocked, what a man sows he reaps. The fear of God (respect) is the beginning of Wisdom. I HATE blaspheming, especially when they use Christs precious holy name.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 AM

2,345 posts, read 2,600,131 times
Default Newsflash!

"God" is NOT "God's" name! Hello! There are hundreds of "gods" with different names.....none of those names being "god". I am a mother but my name is not mother....see? And I don't fear "god". I do fear the IRS a little though.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 AM

1,863 posts, read 2,771,646 times
One thing about that phrase: it is said flippantly....but if you've ever heard flight tapes of a plane that went down, or something that crashed and people lost their lives, some devastation............that is ALWAYS said.

What I find disgusting is the way Jesus's name is used in movies: someone gets annoyed, and they go, "Oh Jesus.......!", as an expression of annoyance or disgust.

Woody Allen does that a lot, in his movies. I like his films but I don't like that.....of course he is Jewish so I guess to him, it's not a big deal, but I think it's disrespectful.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM

3,540 posts, read 4,234,602 times
What....everrrrrr

Old 10-27-2009, 08:05 AM

8,990 posts, read 8,697,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Diva View Post
They say it so absent mindedly, I see and here it very often, as soon as something surprising happens that's what they will say. I have heard my sister (age 51) say this recently, I thought to myself "doesn't she know better", just disgarding the name of God like that.
I get surprised about stuff too, but I don't say that.
Let's think of other phrases to say instead of saying that........how about
#1. Wow, no way!
#2. I can't believe it!
#3. This is so cool!
It's bad enough I have to hear it and then some on TV.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,498,010 times
The comedians on TV seem to be the worst. Nation is going downhill fast in a handbasket, with the comedians leading the charge. Why do they think they need to use vulgar language in order to be funny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity