Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM

696 posts, read 915,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I never said Satan was in the lake of fire at the beginning of the Millennium. I said the beast and the false prophet are in the lake of fire at the beginning of the Millennium.

One more time.

In Revelation 20:1 Satan is thrown into the abyss{ABUSSOS) which is not the lake of fire but is the prison that Satan is in until the end of the Millennium. At the end of the Millennium, he is released for a short time, so that he can attempt one last revolution. That revolution is put down and Satan is then cast into the lake of fire Rev. 20:10 where the beast and the false prophet have already been imprisoned for one thousand years. There is no room for interpretation here. That is just a lame argument of those who resist facing the truth. The passages tell you specifically what the events are. So deny them if you will, but your being dishonest with yourself. Whatever.
Of interesting note is why is Satan bound and cast into a pit. Let it be known that man will truely show its depreavity with the ability to sin even without the Devil in their ear. Even that excuse will be removed. Then what excuse is next? What is left to be used? That Satan is in a pit is not the focus of the verse. That man has no excuse left to him is. As is clear when Satan is unchained people will live seeing Christ, but still cling to the Devil. This is basic Bible 101. Not to hard to understand if you put Jesus first and yourself second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschultz73 View Post
Of interesting note is why is Satan bound and cast into a pit. Let it be known that man will truely show its depreavity with the ability to sin even without the Devil in their ear. Even that excuse will be removed. Then what excuse is next? What is left to be used? That Satan is in a pit is not the focus of the verse. That man has no excuse left to him is. As is clear when Satan is unchained people will live seeing Christ, but still cling to the Devil. This is basic Bible 101. Not to hard to understand if you put Jesus first and yourself second.
I believe that the spirit of Carnal man is the Devil. So therefore, I believe all of us are Satan. It is worth consideration that when Jesus called Peter Satan - He also made reference to the devil tending to the things of man and not vice versa which you would think it would be if Satan was a separate entity apart from man.

So I essentially see myself as Satan and that Jesus has come to destroy my works which are sin and save me by doing so.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Dear Eusebius,

Spritual death entered into the world when Adam ate the fruit.
Paul's reference to it is explicit (Ephesians 2:1, 5); and Jesus refers to it using different words, namely the necessity for a man to be 'born again' (John 3:3-7) as also did Paul (Titus 3:5).
Oh dear. Let's look at Ephesians 2:1,5 first and see it they talk of spiritual death:

Eph 2:1 And you, being dead to your offenses and sins,
Eph 2:5 (we also being dead to the offenses and the lusts), vivifies us together in Christ (in grace are you saved!)"

Rather than Paul telling the believers they were "spiritually dead" he tells them that, proleptically, they are dead to their offenses and sins. In other words, they are living as if they don't offend or sin (in God's eyes!).

If one were FIGURATIVELY dead to God then they would be offending and sinning!

Quote:
Although the phrase "spiritual death" does not appear in scripture, this does not invalidate the concept any more than does the absence from scripture of a word such as 'trinity' rule out the truth of the latter's meaning. Just as the Bible gives no formal definition of physical death, this having to be inferred, so there is none for spiritual death. From statements in scripture alluding to spiritual death we gather that it means a state of disunion between the Creator and individual created spirit beings. Spiritual death does not require annihilation of the spirit concerned. Thus Satan in Biblical terms was spiritually dead but continued to exist as God's archenemy.

But there is no such thing as "trinity" in the Bible and there is no such critter as "spiritual death" either. I think you really mean "death" in a figurative sense. The Bible never says Satan is spiritually dead and never even says Satan is dead.

Quote:
Firstly, just as Adam died spiritually in the Garden but remained alive physically when he disobeyed, so Christ was spiritually dead on the Cross while darkness enveloped the earth for 3 hours, signifying His alienation from the Father for our sakes but remained alive physically (Matt. 27:45-46; Gal. 3:13).
The Bible does not say Adam died spiritually, ever. The death Adam began to die was physical death and he continued to die until he was completely dead and returned to the soil. You don't die a spiritual death until you return to a spiritual soil.
And God continued talking with them after they sinned and spoke to Cain after he killed Abel.

Quote:
Secondly, Adam then regained life spiritually through saving faith in God's mercy and His plan of redemption through a future descendant. Christ regained life spiritually on the Cross when He was reunited with the Father at the end of that period of darkness. It was then that Jesus could declare, 'It is finished' (John 19:28-30; Luke 23:46).
That is not what the Scriptures say. John 19:28-30 only tells us the means by which Christ died. It says nothing about Adam regained spiritual life. and Luke 23:46 just talks about Jesus dying. If you are going to make Adam's death a spiritual death then you have to make Christ's a spiritual death as well.

Quote:
Thirdly, Adam died physically many years after the Fall and his expulsion from the Garden. Christ died physically on the Cross when He 'gave up the Spirit' (
Quote:
Luke 23:46).
The Bible knows no such thing as "the Fall." So why say it? But at least I can agree with you on your third point that Adam died many years after he sinned and Christ died physically on the cross when He gave up the Spirit. There is no reason to take Adam's dying to die in a figurative sense but Christ's in a literal sense.

Quote:
Fourthly, Adam will physically rise/rose from the dead with all believers that have died in Christ (
Quote:
1 Thess. 4:16) when Jesus returns/returned. Jesus, the firstborn from dead (Col. 1:18; Rev. 1:5), physically rose from the dead on the third day after his crucifixion.
Where in the Bible do you read that Adam will rise with the believers? The Bible says Adam was soulish and that the soulish man is not able to understand that which is from God:
"1Cor 15:45 If there is a soulish body, there is a spiritual also. Thus it is written also, The first man, Adam, "became a living soul:the last Adam a vivifying Spirit."
1Co 15:46 But not first the spiritual, but the soulish, thereupon the spiritual."
"Soul" is psuche and "soulish" is psuchikos.
1Co 2:14 Now the soulish man is not receiving those things which are of the spirit of God, for they are stupidity to him, and he is not able to know them, seeing that they are spiritually examined."
Adam, being a soulish man, was not receiving those things which are of the spirit of God and indeed was not able to know them.

Quote:
The relatively rapid succession of events on the Cross involving the whole person of Jesus reveals the inextricable link between sin and death, both spiritual and physical, all of which He conquered through His one supreme sacrifice for all time.

There is nothing in the bible about Christ's death and spiritual death.

Quote:
Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall DIE.
"for if you are living in accord with flesh, you are about to be dying. Yet if, in spirit, you are putting the practices of the body to death, you will be living." For whoever are being led by God's spirit, these are sons of God."
(Romans 8:13-14 CLV)
I think the unwritten word(s) (called an elipsis) in the above passage would be "to God" or "to the things of God," as in "you are about to be dying (to the things of God) but if you put the practices of the body to death (not spiritual death) then you will be living (to God or the things of God).

Quote:
This cannot be speaking of physical death, because ALL die physically - not just those who live after the flesh. Also, there are many who live after the flesh and die in rebellion against God at a ripe old age, older than many godly saints who died before them. Therefore, this verse is speaking of eternal, spiritual death, and

This does not say that those who live after the flesh will merely "lose their rewards". It says that they shall DIE.
I agree it is not about a physical death. Neither is it about a "spiritual death" but is about a "figurative death."

Quote:
By putting these two truths together, we understand that living after the flesh will result in spiritual death. Galatians chapter 5 lists ways in which the works of the flesh are manifest:

Gal 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

One thing is immediately obvious: Again, this passage does not say that those who do such things shall "lose their rewards". It says that they "shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
by "shall not inherit the kingdom of God" I understand this to mean that such saved ones (as the Galatians were) who live a life according to the above negative aspects of verses 19-21 will not have a part in the kingdom administration of God, though they will still have eonian life (life pertaining to the eons to come).

Quote:
This is consistent with the previous passage that says they shall DIE; hence, they will not inherit the kingdom of God.

We all die, but what we lose if we are not in Christ, is spiritual life.
The Sting of Death and Sin is in the Law.
But we are not under law. Death was being dished out even when there was no law, Paul said so in Romans 5.

Quote:
How do you interpret the following?

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
If there are the dead here, form two separate places, the Sea, and Death and Hades, how do you interpret what "Death and Hades" is?

What are these two places representing?
"On the other hand, the statement ``death and hades
(the unseen) were cast into the lake of fire'' (Rev.20:14) is
purely figurative, for neither death nor hades is of such a
nature as to be ``cast.'' Fire would have no effect on them.
This figure (metonymy, or Association) is so common that
we need only to mention a few instances and everyone will
see its force. Death and the unseen are put for their con-
tents, for those in them are judged. So the world is put for
those included in it. ``God so loved the world"--that is, the
people in it (John 3:16, 7:7; 2 Cor.5:19), etc.). The earth is
often put for its inhabitants (Gen.6:11,12,13; Matt.5:13,
etc). Death, which includes all who had not been made
alive in the former resurrection (Rev.20:5), as well as the
unseen world--all the remaining creatures still out of har-
mony with God--are cast into the lake of fire."
(A.E. Knoch, Unsearchable Riches, vol.55 beginning page 153).

Quote:
If the correct interpretation was physical death, then Satan was right and God was wrong.

I think you have the above bolded words reversed.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I believe that the spirit of Carnal man is the Devil. So therefore, I believe all of us are Satan. It is worth consideration that when Jesus called Peter Satan - He also made reference to the devil tending to the things of man and not vice versa which you would think it would be if Satan was a separate entity apart from man.

So I essentially see myself as Satan and that Jesus has come to destroy my works which are sin and save me by doing so.
It's interesting to note that the Serpent never showed up until Eve did. I believe that Eve represented the soul of Adam - his thoughts and emotions.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post

I totally agree and coming to know this certainly puts a different angle on how you not only see yourself but mankind as a whole .

Old 01-12-2010, 10:45 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I totally agree and coming to know this certainly puts a different angle on how you not only see yourself but mankind as a whole .
I don't know if there's any other way to see it - the carnal mind is anti-Christ - so we are born enemies of God. Sounds like we're our worst enemy, doesn't it?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
Dear Eusebius,

Did not God say to Adam, "But, from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you shall surely die."

Did he die that very day that he ate?

No he did not.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I don't know if there's any other way to see it - the carnal mind is anti-Christ - so we are born enemies of God. Sounds like we're our worst enemy, doesn't it?
True

Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Dear Eusebius,

Did not God say to Adam, "But, from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you shall surely die."
Of course He did NOT say that. This is as close to the Hebrew we can get:

Gen 2:17 Yet from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you are not to be eating from it, for in the day you eat from it, to die shall you be dying.

To die shall you be dying is a process of slowly dying until ultimate physical death results.

And then after Adam ate of it God told Adam what "to die shall you be dying" meant when He said:
And to the human He says, "As you hearken to the voice of your wife, and are eating from the tree of which alone I instruct you, saying not eat shall you from it, cursed shall be the ground when you serve it, for your sakes. In grief shall you eat of it all the days of your lives. And thorns and weeds shall it sprout for you, and you shall eat the herbage of the field. In the sweat of your face shall you eat your bread, till your return to the ground, for from it are you taken, for soil you are, and to soil are you returning.
(Genesis 3:17-19 CLV)
Quote:
Did he die that very day that he ate?

No he did not.
Of course he didn't die the day he ate of it because that is not what God said would happen. He began dying the very day he ate of it resulting in actual, physical death about 900 years later.

Tell me this. What did Jesus mean when He said:

Mat 26:38 Then He is saying to them, Sorrow-stricken is My soul to death. Remain here and watch with Me."

Did He mean His soul died a spiritual death?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Of course He did NOT say that. This is as close to the Hebrew we can get:

Gen 2:17 Yet from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you are not to be eating from it, for in the day you eat from it, to die shall you be dying.
You are very wrong in your translation.
Where are you getting this from anyway?

the last two words of the Hebrew are "Die and Die"

The strict Hebrew is "tree of knowledge, good and evil, that day eat it and die".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity