Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Don't put the cart before the horse.
So man came before God? He's always the Initiator of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:28 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I am confused . . . if you are given faith, that is a gift . . . but my question is this . . . if God grants you/chooses you/gives you faith . . . sometimes it stops there . . .I know people with faith in God . . . a great faith, but it stops there . . what is the story then???? So many people I know, including myself sometimes, just fall away, backslide . . yet we we were given faith in Christ.
It is not faith that is a gift from God, it is salvation that is the free gift from God. The faith comes from you. Go to this link:

Is Faith a Gift of God? Ephesians 2:8 Reconsidered (http://www.faithalone.org/news/y1989/89july1.html - broken link)

Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Believing the Gospel comes before regeneration. Jesus gave the Gospel message to Nicodemus. Christ told Nicodemus ''You must be born again.'' Nicodemus at some point believed Christ and was then born again (regenerated)

Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Amen

Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Paul gave her the Gospel. She heard it. The Holy Spirit made the Gospel understandable to her. She believed the Gospel message about Christ. She made a decision to believe in Christ. The Holy Spirit made her faith in Christ effective for salvation. The Holy Spirit regenerated her-she was born again.

Don't put the cart before the horse.
Read it again Mikey and keep reading it until you get it:

Acts 16:14 A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Believing the Gospel comes before regeneration. Jesus gave the Gospel message to Nicodemus. Christ told Nicodemus ''You must be born again.'' Nicodemus at some point believed Christ and was then born again (regenerated)
Here's where I'll break from the pack.

I believe that being truly born again is just like the natural birth we know of - it doesn't fully take place at once. I believe the cross gives birth to the new creator. Without taking our cross and dying to the old man, we're still unregenerated.

Agree?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It is not faith that is a gift from God, it is salvation that is the free gift from God. The faith comes from you. Go to this link:

Is Faith a Gift of God? Ephesians 2:8 Reconsidered (http://www.faithalone.org/news/y1989/89july1.html - broken link)
God created us in His Image

God is a faith God .

Mike if you had the 2 choices, one was to say Faith is a gift of God , or faith is of man , which would you rather believe ? .

I know which i would much rather believe, especially when the scriptures says such things like i chose you , He first loved me , Salvation came to this house, He's the Author and Finisher of our Faith, it's God that works in you, He will complete that which He started,it is God who justifies,if God be for us and son .

Can you see the theme it's all God .

Why would you want to claim that your faith had part in what God has done for us ?.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Here's where I'll break from the pack.

I believe that being truly born again is just like the natural birth we know of - it doesn't fully take place at once. I believe the cross gives birth to the new creator. Without taking our cross and dying to the old man, we're still unregenerated.

Agree?
Taking up your cross refers to the believer making constant decisions to put the word of God first in His life. That is a completely different issue than the unbeliever making a decision to believe in Christ for salvation.(regeneration)

Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 AM

He's the Author of my life and the Good Shepherd of my life , way before i even knew it , even before i was conceived.

What assurance this gives the believer , what rest it brings to our soul , what peace of mind to know that His hand is continually on our lives , what stillness it gives to our hearts and confidence in Him.

Psalm 23

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death, [a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
God created us in His Image

God is a faith God .

Mike if you had the 2 choices, one was to say Faith is a gift of God , or faith is of man , which would you rather believe ? .

I know which i would much rather believe, especially when the scriptures says such things like i chose you , He first loved me , Salvation came to this house, He's the Author and Finisher of our Faith, it's God that works in you, He will complete that which He started,it is God who justifies,if God be for us and son .

Can you see the theme it's all God .

Why would you want to claim that your faith had part in what God has done for us ?.
The word of God puts the responsibility on us to make a decision to accept God's offer of salvation. ''You believe.'' ''He who believes.''

If a man expresses faith in Christ, then the work of Christ on the Cross is applied to him and he is then saved.

The Bible says that over and over again, but there will always be those who will not open the eyes of their understanding to that fact. 'Believe, believe, believe.' And it is ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity