Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times

Advertisements

Blessings Lisa.

Use your will as an offensive weapon.

Whoever controls the will, controls the man, is the message behind this Scripture:

"Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?" Rom. 6:16.

...If God is in control of your will, He will control your actions. If Satan is in control of your will, he will control your actions. If you are in control of your will, self will control your actions.

Because your will affects every aspect of your life, Satan's objective is to weaken, divert or gain control of your will. One of his major strategies is to try to cause you to spend your life following your own will...fulfilling the desires of your flesh instead of dedicating and committing your life to fullfilling God's will on earth.

Remember, the root cause of sin is asserting or placing your will above God's will. Satan cannot take your will from you. He cannot make you sin. But he will lie, deceive and place temptation in your way so that you will yield your will to him and the lusts of your flesh and sin against God.

Whoever controls the will, controls the man. You must learn to use your will as an offensive weapon against Satan. You must daily take authority over your will and conform it to God's will. You must be willing to say, "My will is no longer my own." Daily you must dedicate your will to doing the will of God.

In Christ's love,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 05:52 PM

595 posts, read 761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some Bible studies, online tutorials or scriptures to help me develop the self-control needed to live a more holy life.

When I became a Christian I gave up physical vices/sins like drunkeness almost immediately. But, many years later I still struggle with keeping my thoughts/mind in line with the Bible's teachings. For example, I struggle daily with anger and envy.

People often comment on how patient and caring I am, but if they could see inside my head they would be quite shocked and disappointed in me. It makes me feel like a phony Christian.

Can anyone share what has worked for them personally when it comes to keeping a pure heart/mind? Thanks.
Actually, for me it was the knowledge and wisdom about sin that helped me. This scripture alone truly brought my desires under prayer and petition to God.
James 1: 12Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. 13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

So I prayed and petitioned God to sustain me in His will and that all my desires would be of Him.
To renew my mind and spirit in Him and Jesus has defeated satan and put him under my feet. By the Name above all Names, Jesus, satan is under my feet.

My suggestion would be to find the scriptures the Holy Spirit leads you to and pray them back to the Father, in Jesus name.

Good post!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:42 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times
Quote:
For example, I struggle daily with anger and envy.

AHhhhh yes,,,praying for being less angry....

While a good goal, it's a painful thing to pray for.
The reason is that there is really only one way to get over being angry in tense situations....and that is to be in a lot of tense situations.

Basically you become desensitized to tense situations.

so, well...it's a lot like praying for patience.
The answer to that prayer involves making you wait and wait and wait.....

Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some Bible studies, online tutorials or scriptures to help me develop the self-control needed to live a more holy life.

When I became a Christian I gave up physical vices/sins like drunkeness almost immediately. But, many years later I still struggle with keeping my thoughts/mind in line with the Bible's teachings. For example, I struggle daily with anger and envy.

People often comment on how patient and caring I am, but if they could see inside my head they would be quite shocked and disappointed in me. It makes me feel like a phony Christian.

Can anyone share what has worked for them personally when it comes to keeping a pure heart/mind? Thanks.
It isn't a sin for a thought to occur to us, but entertaining thoughts of anger and, envy, are dangerous because, in truth, we have no reason to envy anyone......what looks good and wonderful on the outside, may be a completely different story....you never know what goes on, within the four walls of someone else's home.
As for anger.....well, people being people, they are going to do things. Things we may not like. But if the Lord forgives us, we need to forgive others. Perhaps your problem is not actually anger, but being unable to forgive?
Forgiving others frees you.
Grudges drag you down.
And if we freely forgive, then we receive that much more forgiveness from the Lord.
I don't envy anyone. I don't hate anyone.
Ask the Lord to show you why you have these feelings, and to open your heart towards others, as these are not loving thoughts.
You sound like a nice person to me, we all have our own personal battles and struggles in different areas. It helps to rid oneself of self-consciousness, and think about the blessings of the Lord. When you get these thoughts, focus instead of what good things the Lord has done for you, take control of your thought life, think and dwell on the character of Jesus Christ and what He has done in your life. Turn to Him, and ask him to fill your mind.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I appreciate it and have started to look up the scriptures and Web sites recommended.

Thank you for the support. Sometimes when I look at how on fire for Jesus some of the newer Christians in my church are, I feel like I should be further along in my walk by now. When I was single and younger I was at church nearly ever night, I directed a children's ministry that took hours of my time and I still found time to read my Bible and lots of Christian books.

Now, 13 years later with a husband, a full-time job, two school-age kids and a baby on the way I barely have time/energy to study enough to prepare the children's Sunday school class I teach. I feel like my spiritual growth has been severely stunted.

Hopefully, the tips will help me to get on the right path. Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:26 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I appreciate it and have started to look up the scriptures and Web sites recommended.

Thank you for the support. Sometimes when I look at how on fire for Jesus some of the newer Christians in my church are, I feel like I should be further along in my walk by now. When I was single and younger I was at church nearly ever night, I directed a children's ministry that took hours of my time and I still found time to read my Bible and lots of Christian books.

Now, 13 years later with a husband, a full-time job, two school-age kids and a baby on the way I barely have time/energy to study enough to prepare the children's Sunday school class I teach. I feel like my spiritual growth has been severely stunted.

Hopefully, the tips will help me to get on the right path. Thanks again.
Heh! Lisa that proves you are growing in holiness. Always remember no matter how much we do for God it still is never enough The people you think are on fire have the same doubts you do about themselves. People are looking at you and saying the same about you-that they wish they can be on fire like you are.

Don't beat yourself up. You are saved!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:36 AM

305 posts, read 1,234,013 times
Quote:

hey turn around....see that other girl in the boat , thats me......

I just learned...I cant keep on struggling, Jesus said give him our burdens, he wants me to let him fight this cuz Im outa energy, and Im tired, and I cant keep on fighting the temptation every moment in my mind....I feel like Im goin crazy..... He told me" stop struggling, and let me take care of it".....

hope this help.......some day Ill start paddling again....

Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
Goodness, you are being awfully hard on yourself. A husband, two kids, and a baby coming? These people are your main ministry field, as wife and mother.

Don't discount your value as a wife and mother. What you do in the home is where your main influence for the Lord counts. You are irreplacable. No one can replace you as a wife and mother! Minister to your husband, and to your children.

I hope these feelings you have are not coming from the church you attend.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 273 times
Default Jesus is Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Ask God what is at the ROOT of the anger and envy in your life. Often at the root of anger is hurt. God will show you. If, after He does, there is sin at the root, repent. Come out of agreement with it. You do not want it in your life. If there is a hurt at the root, ask God to heal it. You may have to forgive others and/or ask forgiveness.

Sometimes strongholds have been built up in our lives over time. If that is the case here, God is more than able to remove them. Jesus, on the cross, broke the power of sin. You may have to walk this out for a while, because our minds and emotions can get in ruts and can get very used to responding in a certain way.

Continue to apply the truth of God's word. Gratitude was very good advice. It is the opposite of envy. Look for scriptural antidotes to what you are feeling and speak them. The Word is alive.

Thank God for your freedom!

A lot of times anger is when something isn't right or our perception of something isn't right it can be in our desire to control

Then you would ask okay so who's at fault is it me or is it them what is the answer

We are not overcome by evil but we overcome evil with well doing

Envy might be from a lack of understanding who we are in Christ that we are so beloved by God
It's not fair to compare someone else's situation to even be there to Envy them as brothers or sisters in Christ we rejoice in another when they have a victory

And we suffer with those who suffer

For those who are in the world and have some sort of worldly good some sort of prestige or vanity or any other thing it's sad if they don't know Jesus

God's trying to teach us to seek him and be content in him when we see that he's everything we need and more and better than anything

We shouldn't envy and we should understand that what we have is better than anything in this temporary world

Gal 6:14 just understand the world is crucified to you, there's nothing you want, just Jesus....

You can have all this world just give me Jesus..

Pray for the Lord to show you your new identity

Confess your sins he is faithful and just to forgive you your sins

Boldly approach the throne of grace and find a reason to Rejoice and praise Him for forgiving you your sins and giving you New Life In Christ !!!

Hallelujah!

Last edited by BeHoly; 03-12-2021 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 03-13-2021, 01:42 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:

There's no way to avoid it. That's not to be said that you should be complacent, or to seek sin out, but the obsession to be sin free is a conceit.

Be the best person you can. And being the best person you can is not the same thing as being perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity