Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,274 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some Bible studies, online tutorials or scriptures to help me develop the self-control needed to live a more holy life.

When I became a Christian I gave up physical vices/sins like drunkeness almost immediately. But, many years later I still struggle with keeping my thoughts/mind in line with the Bible's teachings. For example, I struggle daily with anger and envy.

People often comment on how patient and caring I am, but if they could see inside my head they would be quite shocked and disappointed in me. It makes me feel like a phony Christian.

Can anyone share what has worked for them personally when it comes to keeping a pure heart/mind? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some Bible studies, online tutorials or scriptures to help me develop the self-control needed to live a more holy life.

When I became a Christian I gave up physical vices/sins like drunkeness almost immediately. But, many years later I still struggle with keeping my thoughts/mind in line with the Bible's teachings. For example, I struggle daily with anger and envy.

People often comment on how patient and caring I am, but if they could see inside my head they would be quite shocked and disappointed in me. It makes me feel like a phony Christian.

Can anyone share what has worked for them personally when it comes to keeping a pure heart/mind? Thanks.
The only advice you need is to seek God and ask Him for help in this area....He is the only one who can help you overcome....the more you trust and surrender to Him....the more you will see His work done in you.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:

There is absolutely, positively nothing you can do on your own but the Holy Spirit can do this for you. Call on the Holy Spirit to grow you in holiness, give you the strength to buffet your sin

Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:

If what you say is true then all christians are phony.. You should see what is in their minds! Don't beat yourself up...

All great men have failed miserably before getting it right. Learn from your mistakes and make it your goal to love God and others. If you can't love yourself then you can't love God or others...

The burden of God is light.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,447 times
Quote:

Immerse yourself in God, the Bible, and prayer. Remember it is a spiritual battle. Galatians 5:16,25

Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
You're not phony, you're human. But I know exactly what you mean, having had the same feelings myself.

Romans 12:1-2 ... Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

The Father led me to things that were very helpful in this area and perhaps they will be helpful to you: Taking thoughts captive is an important aspect; sometimes thoughts can seem harmless until you take the time to examine them and realize that dwelling on them is what leads to worse thoughts and actions in the long run. So nipping them off in their infancy stage is important. Biblical affirmations help me to replace harmful thoughts (based on the principle in Lk 11:24-26 & Php 4:8). Also, I've found gratitude to be an extremely important thing to cultivate in my life ... it changes my whole outlook on life, and especially helps with the anger issue!

A book that has also been quite helpful to me is called "The Worry Free Life". Don't let the title fool you. It's about your thought life in general, not just worry.

Blessings.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:59 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:

Here are some links to local independent nondenominational doctrinally oriented churches that teach from a dispensational approach, using an isagogical, categorical and exegetical manner of teaching the word of God. They put their messages to their congregations online. These sites have both audio lessons and printed material.

Moderator cut: deleted

Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries / Grace Bible Church - bible doctrine truth in Christ

Country Bible Church - Brenham, TX

Grace Doctrine Church Media Ministries Web Site

Grace Fellowship Church, Plainville, MA - Pastor Rickard

Spiritual growth takes time and is the result of learning and applying the word of God to the circumstances of your life. Give these websites a try. It may be just what you are looking for. I hope they help.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-27-2009 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 11:42 AM

988 posts, read 1,902,919 times
Quote:

The problem is not with you but with your definition of sin. You appear to be confusing temptation and emotions with actual transgression of the law.

The Biblical definition of sin is transgression of the law.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Paul confirms John's definition:

Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Modern Christianity often redefines sin in order to trivialize it to the point where they can say that no one can stop sinning.

For example if anger were sin in itself then who could say they never get angry?

Then the logic of Modern Christians says one gets angry and another commits adultery and it is all sin. If that were true then Jesus committed sin because he had anger and even acted on it.

Mar 3:5 And when he [Jesus] had looked round about on them with anger,

Anger is not sin, it is an emotion. What you do with the anger is the important thing.

Eph 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

HK

Old 10-26-2009, 12:54 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times
Anger is not a sin if handled properly. However, envy would be a sin.

Galatians 5
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

The blood of Jesus is the cure for any and all works of the flesh. As we yield to the blood, self gets crucified. Prayer, fasting and living in the Word are very important. Regarding bad thoughts, they can come from satan to tempt us; we have the ability to cast them down, too.

2 Corinthians 10
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Old 10-26-2009, 02:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,483 times
Quote:

Ask God what is at the ROOT of the anger and envy in your life. Often at the root of anger is hurt. God will show you. If, after He does, there is sin at the root, repent. Come out of agreement with it. You do not want it in your life. If there is a hurt at the root, ask God to heal it. You may have to forgive others and/or ask forgiveness.

Sometimes strongholds have been built up in our lives over time. If that is the case here, God is more than able to remove them. Jesus, on the cross, broke the power of sin. You may have to walk this out for a while, because our minds and emotions can get in ruts and can get very used to responding in a certain way.

Continue to apply the truth of God's word. Gratitude was very good advice. It is the opposite of envy. Look for scriptural antidotes to what you are feeling and speak them. The Word is alive.

Thank God for your freedom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity