Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times

Advertisements

Equally mind-boggling: when you get to the "edge" of outer space, what's on the other side??? More space. For infinity. For forever. I guess God can comprehend that, but my mind can't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I don't really know.

For certain God can be outside of time, He knows the future and the past.

But think about the creation. He had a plan to bring forth this creation. How did He come up with that plan? Doesn't that imply a passing of time before creation existed?

Its mind boggling.
Wanna hear something even more mind boggling. For us time is linear, with a beginning, a middle and an end but for God time has no beginning or an end therefore time is circular for Him and He is omnipresent. God is not limited by time or space. He is present at every point of time and space so right now as I am typing this God is talking to Moses through the burning bush, departing the Red Sea, He is even setting his foot on the mount of Olives right now as He establishes his kingdom in the New Jerusalem.. WOW!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I love these thought provoking posts..None of us can ever have the answer in this lifetime (there's that word again). We of course can contemplate that time and be fairly accurate because we are constantly dieing from the minute (there it is again) we are born..Everything in our mortal lives is associated with time..

I think that there is no reason for time, after all isn't eternity itself beyond any calculation of time?

I think that since we will not be flesh that we will be unaware of anything of the flesh including time, reasons, and any memories of the flesh will dwindle or instantly disappear because we will be married (spiritually) to Christ and be one with him and share his glory in a place He went to prepare for us that is also beyond our capabilities to fully comprehend..

JMHO (and I am usually two minutes short of an hour)

Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Equally mind-boggling: when you get to the "edge" of outer space, what's on the other side??? More space. For infinity. For forever. I guess God can comprehend that, but my mind can't...
Scientists agree that the solar system is expanding, which is consistent with our opinion that God is prone to overflow.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Scientists agree that the solar system is expanding, which is consistent with our opinion that God is prone to overflow.
But what is there to overflow into if God occupies all available space.. the space in unlimited yet God fills it and overflows..

OUCH.. I think I just produced a migraine trying to access the part of my brain not normally accessed.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Since there is no time on the other side of physical death, how can we comprehend it? There will be no future or no history. How can we even begin to wrap our minds around that? Think about it. Everything would have to be in the present. With no time, there would be no future or past. How can that be? Perhaps there will be some type of time, I don`t know. It seems like there would be no time,though. Can you even begin to understand what eternity will be like? Time gives us a reference point.
I know some will say,as long as I am with God that is all that matters and why even bother thinking about it. But I`m curious when it comes to eternity,heaven,death,etc. Any thoughts about living outside of time. What say you?
Perhaps ultimately time and space are a circle, like a gold wedding band, a promise of loving forever. Maybe when we're having our earthly experience, under a veil of forgetting our premortal existence as spirit children of God the Father, we are unable to comprehend the eternal round and see time as only linear, for a good reason in our growing up.

It is my belief that when we die our spirits do not immediately go to a permanent heaven (or "hell") but to a world of spirits where we continue to interact with others while we await our resurrection. We may still be aware of this world and what our loved ones are doing in it.

Perhaps after our resurrection we can better comprehend that all things are one eternal round and, just a mere conjecture, maybe we can move around that circle forever at the level of the ring we have merited, picking and choosing experiences to observe and take delight in, experiences that would keep us from being eternally bored??

Conjecture can be such fun, it keeps us from being bored...

Last edited by justamere10; 10-27-2009 at 11:01 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Hi spm,

How do we know we will be living "outside of time"? I don't think there is a scripture that says that.

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. ...

God's government will increase without end -> this seems to indicate a passing of time, in order for it to keep increasing.
hey lego,
I`m not really dogmatic about it (time), the bible doesn`t address it specifically. It just seems to me,there will be no clocks in heaven,eternity,or wherever we will be. If the Earth isn`t revolving around the sun and the earth isn`t rotating on it`s axis,do we have time? We see the light of a star that left it`s place millions of years ago. We see stars that have possibly burned out. They are not still there but we see them now. Perhaps if we still have this universe there will always be time. If planets are rotating around a star then maybe there will be time,. I`m not sure. But our time is predicated on the sun and the earth`s rotation. Without that,do we have time?
When Paul and John had their visions and reported seeing the future,were they seeing the actual events taking place? Maybe they went outside of time and saw these things actually happening, eventhough it was thousands of years in the future.
God is outside of time. He created time. Jesus will sit at the right hand of the Father. Wherever Jesus is, that`s where we will be. Perhaps that is only symbolically or spiritually speaking. Will we be in God`s presence at some point? Isn`t that how God can know the future because it really isn`t the future to him? He planned things and it just happens in an instant, but to us who are confined to time, we are thousands or perhaps millions of years and counting. In other words,when he created man ,it happened in an instant to God. But to us in time it could have taken millions of years or one day,depending on what you believe about evolution. I know most fundamentilist don`t believe in evolution,but to God it was all in an instant. To us,it could have taken millions of years. I`m not sure what I believe about that.
Jesus is the lamb slain from the foundation of the world. How was he slain from the foundation of the world if he didn`t come onto the scene until at least thousands of years later. It could be just a figure of speech, I know. Meaning God planned it all from the very beginning but God has no beginning. Only this material world has a time and thus a beginning.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:42 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
hey lego,
I`m not really dogmatic about it (time), the bible doesn`t address it specifically. It just seems to me,there will be no clocks in heaven,eternity,or wherever we will be. If the Earth isn`t revolving around the sun and the earth isn`t rotating on it`s axis,do we have time? We see the light of a star that left it`s place millions of years ago. We see stars that have possibly burned out. They are not still there but we see them now. Perhaps if we still have this universe there will always be time. If planets are rotating around a star then maybe there will be time,. I`m not sure. But our time is predicated on the sun and the earth`s rotation. Without that,do we have time?
When Paul and John had their visions and reported seeing the future,were they seeing the actual events taking place? Maybe they went outside of time and saw these things actually happening, eventhough it was thousands of years in the future.
God is outside of time. He created time. Jesus will sit at the right hand of the Father. Wherever Jesus is, that`s where we will be. Perhaps that is only symbolically or spiritually speaking. Will we be in God`s presence at some point? Isn`t that how God can know the future because it really isn`t the future to him? He planned things and it just happens in an instant, but to us who are confined to time, we are thousands or perhaps millions of years and counting. In other words,when he created man ,it happened in an instant to God. But to us in time it could have taken millions of years or one day,depending on what you believe about evolution. I know most fundamentilist don`t believe in evolution,but to God it was all in an instant. To us,it could have taken millions of years. I`m not sure what I believe about that.
Jesus is the lamb slain from the foundation of the world. How was he slain from the foundation of the world if he didn`t come onto the scene until at least thousands of years later. It could be just a figure of speech, I know. Meaning God planned it all from the very beginning but God has no beginning. Only this material world has a time and thus a beginning.
Yep I hear what you are saying, it is difficult to comprehend.

Currently I'm reading Stephen Hawking's "Brief History of Time" again, and it gets into some of the mind boggling stuff, like Einstein's theory of relativity, what happens at the edge of the universe, what happens as you approach the speed of light, black holes etc. All sorts of interesting theories about how two twins can age at different rates depending on how fast they are travelling, etc. I don't think anyone really knows for sure on this stuff though.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Wanna hear something even more mind boggling. For us time is linear, with a beginning, a middle and an end but for God time has no beginning or an end therefore time is circular for Him and He is omnipresent. God is not limited by time or space. He is present at every point of time and space so right now as I am typing this God is talking to Moses through the burning bush, departing the Red Sea, He is even setting his foot on the mount of Olives right now as He establishes his kingdom in the New Jerusalem.. WOW!
Does that mean you have already been resurrected? Everyone according to God has already been born,died resurrected,and judged. Since he is outside of time, everything that has or will happen,is actually happening right now!! ouch!
Does that also mean that at the moment you die,you are outside of time and experience the resurrection of everyone who has lived or will ever live? You and I may die at different times but we each experience the resurrection as it is happening,eventhough a lot of people haven`t been born yet and others such as Adam,Abraham etc. experienced all of these events 6 thousand years ago! That would mean if you believe in the rapture,then the rapture happens at the moment you die,eventhough there are still people alive on earth who haven`t died or experienced it yet! I don`t believe in a secret rapture the way the church teaches it, but I`m just saying.Mind boggling!:think ::eek :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity