U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM
 
988 posts, read 1,574,440 times
Reputation: 116

Advertisements

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil;


This statement by John appears to be straight forward and without ambiguity. If we commit sin we are the still the children of the devil.

And yet most Christians ignore it. Why?

Can anybody prove it does not mean exactly what it says?

HK


1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,387,998 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil;


This statement by John appears to be straight forward and without ambiguity. If we commit sin we are the still the children of the devil.

And yet most Christians ignore it. Why?

Can anybody prove it does not mean exactly what it says?

HK


1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
It seems that you condemn yourself with you words here...

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM
 
15,025 posts, read 7,537,694 times
Reputation: 1974
I think Paul explains this in Romans chapter 7:17-20.

Our "old man" carnal natures are the children of the devil and God is putting that nature to death in us. Our new spiritual man is the seed of God and God is maturing and strengthening that man within us as we allow him to put the sinful nature to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM
 
15,025 posts, read 7,537,694 times
Reputation: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think Paul explains this in Romans chapter 7:17-20.

Our "old man" carnal natures are the children of the devil and God is putting that nature to death in us. Our new spiritual man is the seed of God and God is maturing and strengthening that man within us as we allow him to put the sinful nature to death.
Actually, the same thing is explained right there in 1 John as well when we are told that if we confess our sins he is faithful not only to forgive those sins but also to cleanse us from unrighteousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 PM
 
988 posts, read 1,574,440 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It seems that you condemn yourself with you words here...

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.


Are you saying that John contradicted himself?

First he says that anyone who commits sin is a child of the devil, and then says if we say we have no sin we are deceiving ourselves.


Maybe there is more to this that you have understood. CAn you explain how John is not contradicting himself?

HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 12:37 PM
 
988 posts, read 1,574,440 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Actually, the same thing is explained right there in 1 John as well when we are told that if we confess our sins he is faithful not only to forgive those sins but also to cleanse us from unrighteousness.

Would you explain how one could be a child of the devil who commit sins and also be a child of God who confesses his sins?


1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil;

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins,

HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,554,397 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think Paul explains this in Romans chapter 7:17-20.

Our "old man" carnal natures are the children of the devil and God is putting that nature to death in us. Our new spiritual man is the seed of God and God is maturing and strengthening that man within us as we allow him to put the sinful nature to death.
Exactly - we must see that we are being changed from the old creature that was Adam, to the new nature of the New Adam. This is of course the work of the spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,182 posts, read 19,976,834 times
Reputation: 2107
Lord have mercy on us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 12:43 PM
 
988 posts, read 1,574,440 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Exactly - we must see that we are being changed from the old creature that was Adam, to the new nature of the New Adam. This is of course the work of the spirit.

Are you saying that one who commits sin is not a child of the devil?

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning.


HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,451,056 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Lord have mercy on us
Which Lord, yours or mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top